Kingsmen Alumni/Reunion Corps performance

Trivia Fact: 6 of our 10 lead baritones all absolutely nailed double G's on the last note of the "El Cid Fanfare" (the tight box formation right before we played backfield in the color presentation) -- that was fun! b**bs

Taking it a bit deeper: on the "morning of," above poster pulled me aside in horn-arc and said, "do you think you could play a double 'G' at the end of El Cid? That way itll be coming from side 1 AND side 2, balance ... etc."

I looked him in the eye and said, "Consider it done."

And so it was.

B)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article. Check out the audio slide show as well. The back story's what it's all about.

Yup. All the personal stories amazed me, but especially the one about the fellow who recovered enough from his back injury to get up out of his wheelchair and march. :worthy:

Great show. Really great.

We caught them after, outside the stadium, as they were marching back to wherever, and they were still stern as could be. No smiles, no breaking ranks -- and no one even DARED to cross between them !!! One family was trying to get their grandfather (I think) to smile, but he would not even acknowledge them as he was marching by. Total focus and discipline and class. True Kingsmen!!!!! :worthy:

It was just amazing on the webcast, I can only imagine what it was like live. So disappointed that the Encorps video does not have it.

Yup. All the personal stories amazed me, but especially the one about the fellow who recovered enough from his back injury to get up out of his wheelchair and march. :lookaround:

Yeah, a great story. He's the baritone section leader and an original Kingsmen. He lost a TON of weight to do this as well. The other great story is the snare that nearly severed his hand with a circular saw a few months ago and recovered in time to play his show flawlessly. Also, a member of the guard who battled cancer and won also took home the 50/50 pot at the end of camp. I love all these folks...miracles everywhere. :doh::doh::worthy:

KingsmenDebra.jpg

A shout out to my favorite Kingsmen/Blue Devil Debra Peterson! You rocked and the rifles stole the show.

:lookaround::doh::doh::worthy::doh:

My drum corps collection doesn't go back to the beginning of the Kingsmen's history .... but a few things stuck out to me.

1) What great arrangements!!!

I can only imagine that most of those arrangements were NOTE FOR NOTE with the original performances. The unique voicing used for tonal color generated TONS of effect. I love love loved it. It was full of MEAT and they went for it in a big way. Tons of twists and turns that made it their own. It just makes me wish even more that todays corps would get away from segmented choppy arrangements and use their Masterfully Creative Minds to explore the possibilities of staying true to a work of music while twisting things to make it original (just as the Kingsmen did).

The Creative Arranger Group for G-F Piston/Rotary thanks you very much for your perceptive comments.

McD

Edited by McDuffy

Having Arranger Mike Duffy along for this E-ticket ride was one of the benefits of playing in KAC... :)

Best part was seeing precision CG work after 15 years of prancing and flitting around. That gaurd had an attitude like "C'mere, I'll kick your ###"!

Rifle line, thank you for the giving the audience such a wonderful performance. I didn't think I'd ever get to see something like that again. Here's wishing I could give all of you a whole weekend at a spa!!

The three sweetheart Crossmen member guys sitting behind us loved the show, too... "man, that is just SICK! Looka those marching timpani!" :lookaround:

I was in section 18 row 5 seats 115 and 116. It wasn't as good as I remembered. IMO, I would rate them with the others as follows.

1. '94 27th

2. '97 SCV

3. '06 Madison

4. '02 Royal Airs

5. '07 Kingsmen

6. '90 St. Joes

7. '05 Cabs

8. '92 Kilties

Hmmm?, sounds like ear plugs and blinders to me? From my vantage point on the stage left end of the snareline, everyone around you was going berserk!