Semifinals judging

Once again Michael Grey!

He calls it like he sees it maybe? Michael Gray has put Crown's guard in first or second numerous times this season.

Edited by mbui

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What I still don't understand is how one can properly judge "Brass" from the field. They are so spread out when playing sometimes, it seems that it is just a matter of luck if the judge happens to be by some really hot players, or some that are weaker at certain sections. Taking this into consideration, I wouldn't be surprised to see brass scores all over the place from show to show.

That is exactly why brass perf should be on the field...the term used in the judging community is "sampling" and this proves to be the most effective way to collect the "evidence" that determines the scores.

Crown 5th in guard - nope

Bcoats brass 4th - nope

BD perc 1st - nope

BAC 12th in brass - nope

Not from where I saw tonight, and frankly not the night before.

Crown 5th in guard - nope...agreed

Bcoats brass 4th - nope...true - but why no objections about Crown's brass getting overlooked all season?

BD perc 1st - nope...agreed

BAC 12th in brass - nope...agreed

Blah blah blah blah blah...all I can say is neither you or I are DCI judges, which makes this thread a waste of typing

Perhaps rather than the judging being a "joke", all of the corps are really, really good this year, so nobody is completely dominating and the captions are being spread around much more.

But that's crazy talk. After all, everyone is terrible this year and every corps is locked into their slots without an inch of movement.

:worthy:

Perhaps rather than the judging being a "joke", all of the corps are really, really good this year, so nobody is completely dominating and the captions are being spread around much more.

But that's crazy talk. After all, everyone is terrible this year and every corps is locked into their slots without an inch of movement.

:worthy:

Pretty much. I'll take this kind of year over one with recaps that look like this..

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2

3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 5 OH MY GOD

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 4

i.e. "judging is a joke because MY favorite corps didn't do as well as _I_ think they should've." :P

I didn't agree with all of the placements, but I think that this year in the different packs the corps are so much closer than normal it could go in any direction any given night.

I'M LOVING IT!!!

Not only does it make things interesting for us fans, but think of what it's like tomorrow morning at the housing sights. BD can't rest on their success knowing Cadets are so freaking close.

Phantom and Cavaliers are in the think of it.

SCV, Crown, Bluecoats knows that any little tiny mental error can mean going from 5h - 7th

Glassmen and Clots can go either way (see BD/Cadets and SCV/Crown/BC)

This has been the most fun summer I've had in a long time following scores. I didn't see a live show until Semi's (won't be going tomorrow probably) yet I'm having more fun now than some years when I was going to 12-15 shows! Some of these corps are so freaking close in talent that any little thing can drop a Caption placement down (or up) drastically based on others' performances. I don't see anything wrong with that, and it harkens back to the "different champion any night" type of modo DCI used to have.

Tomorrow will be fun, that's for sure!!

Edited by perc2100

F the scores tonight. They seem very off key from the rest of the season. I understand that Bluecoats have a weak visual program consistantly, but to go from 1st in brass to 4th and to be beat by crown for the first time this season and to get 8th in a few captions. WHATEVER. I have seen all of the top 7 products this season and unless bluecoats are physically ill, they should be top 4 at the least. I really dig crown, they should be top five, but these scores are IMHO asinine. Call me a homer or a honk, but these scores suck as far as consistancy. Scores this out of whack from night to night almost make me wish for exhibitions tomorrow.

Screw it. Enjoy the shows this year and just take a "TILT" on the scores. No one wins this year. 22 way tie.

Really, I love Drum Corps and I am ranting a bit. This year has been very interesting to follow, but I somehow doubt that Coats drop that much in a day, when they have consistantly been destroying scv. Crown has been close the last few shows and they have a good program. Bottom line, I am pulling for bluecoats and I hope that history repeats itself and thry peak on finals night, jumping 2 or 3 corps. It has happened before, why not now?

P.S. Bluecoats, hire a visual team that can reach the level of the music staff. If you are striving to be competitive and want to win in the near future, FIX VISUAL. I love the show this year, but something that the corps has been doing visually for 15 years really does not set well with the judges. Rambling, rambling etc. You know what to do. Kick A at finals and finish this.

GO BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(no I am not biased B) )

im just really confused at how crowns GE score is in 7th place. it seems to me that their entire show is nothing but general effect. i visually see horses grazing in the wild and then the stampede comes. the horses get wrangled up at the end of their ballad by a hornline lasso. the horses are coraled up durring red pony and trained. then comes the race fit with a track, announcer, slow motion photo finish, and a winners circle. im not trying to complain, but i would just like it if someone could explain the caption of general effect to me a little better bc after seeing the scores i feel like i may not understand it completely