Semifinals judging

Can anyone enlighten me why CROWN'S top notch colorguard all summer suddenly, overnight became 5th place?????

So these guys can't win. If everything is the same as last night they read the recap, if it changes they don't know what they are doing. Some facts that may throw a curve to the stories. Crown does not do near as much in combination as any of the top 3 or 4. Bluecoats do not have a visual program that compares to the top 3 or 4. Neither BD or Cadets have great guards this year. Troopers and Crossmen do not have the maturity of most of the other corps but did very well. Accadamy has a very un developed guard. Not everything grows at the same rate. Pioneer, Mandarin and Southwind did not have shows which were going to succeed but the kids did the best they could.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do scores vary from night to night and show to show and caption to caption?

Let's see:

135 kids x 12 corps + 9 judges at one show + 9 different judges at a second show = 1,638 variables

And, that doesn't count field conditions, weather, emotional state of the performing group as a whole, crowd size and response, other stadium conditions (such as lighting) and the outside influence of instructors, parents, corps directors, significant others, etc., etc.

too bad you had to hose the coolest Contra book on the planet

I noticed that when I downloaded the APDs yesterday....I'm bummed about it :(

The effect is diminished for sure

Michael Gray is a very respected judge liked by most corps and their staff. I even remember reading a list of judges Hopkins feels is unbiased and provides good feedback (I know like that means a lot to some of you). I myself find Mr. Gray tends to lean too much on the artsy side of things, but he is good at what he does.

While I agree with those who have stated tha Crown's guad had a bit of a rough run last night, it certainly wasn't that rough. I mean, I really thought that the Cavies guad had some major issues last night and more drops than I think I've ever seen from the Cavies during a Finals week performance -- and yet, they were still judged to be No. 1. I actually thought that the best two performances of the night from the guards came from the Cadets and Vanguard and while I think the spread between these and Crown may have been a bit excessive, I can see why they did beatCrown's guard.

But it really doesn't matter, because the Cavies are going to win guard again and, dare I say it, do so pretty much regardless of what actually happens on the field.

I wouldn't blame you if you didn't

OK, if you are displeased with the placements, just start thinking about how it really won't matter 10 years from now. I mean, when you're watching your DVDs in 10 years, will a placement of any certain corps diminish your enjoyment at watching the show again? NO, it definitely won't!

Think of all the classic performances of all time, and consider the fact that many of them were not championship winners. It doesn't actually matter that much!

i just happen to know a few people from star '93 that you might want to tell that one to...

I'm most concerned with the sub-caption element of the recap. Things like Rep (repitoire), comp (composition) etc. almost entirely reflect the design so at this time in the season, this shouldn't change that much from show to show.

Let me offer you a thought as to how this could reasonably occur.

All of that could be effected by "contest dynamics". If a judge one night has put "Corps A" a little "to high" within their appropriate box (say an 8.8, high Box IV when he might upon further reflection think they really should have been the middle of box IV), in order to make sure he puts the appropriate spread between that corps and the corps that follows, he may need to give "Corps B" a 9.3 (low Box V) instead of the 9.0 (the bottom number in Box V) he thinks they might really deserve. The judges job first is to RANK and second to RATE. Getting the order and spread right is his FIRST job in ranking the corps.

The next night, if another judge views the show, has a SLIGHTLY different opinion of the merits of the "Corps A" show and put's them at an 8.5 (which is really more in line with what the judge from the previous night might have really thought, just made an error) and that judge feels that the same about "Corps B" that their program is "borderline Box IV and Box V" he might give Corps B an 8.9.

Now many fans would complain about "How could the REP number drop from Box V to Box IV overnight".... well I hope this explanation could make it a little easier to understand. In the end, it's all just someone's opinion.

Just some observations from a long drum corps career and hearing many explanations/justifications in many critiques.

mg