Finals Attendance

As for the rudeness of fans, I was pretty shocked with how bad it was, having been at every finals since 2003 as a member, and this year as a fan, but I really don't think it was just a California thing; most of the people around me that I heard acting poorly had some pretty thick northeastern accents...

Which only means they were transplants like the other 75% of CA :P .

Which only means they were transplants like the other 75% of CA :P .

Right, transplants that are members of the Muchachos...

I'm 100% Southern Californian, by the way

Oh - I agree. 1/2 the folks around me were more interested in each other, the sky, their cell phone, their frozen lemonade, their text messaging than in either paying attention or actually clapping and cheering for the corps. It was very lame.

But I got dragged over the coals in the other thread about this so... :sshh:

Well, at least you've toned down your rhetoric to 1/2 the people around you instead of the entire west coast.

Still, I have to give you one of these...

deadhorse.gif

Oh - I agree. 1/2 the folks around me were more interested in each other, the sky, their cell phone, their frozen lemonade, their text messaging than in either paying attention or actually clapping and cheering for the corps. It was very lame.

But I got dragged over the coals in the other thread about this so... :sshh:

Hey George, weren't you sipping frozen lemonade and texting too? huh? huh? huh? (don't lie...i sat beside you!)

As for the rudeness of fans, I was pretty shocked with how bad it was, having been at every finals since 2003 as a member, and this year as a fan, but I really don't think it was just a California thing; most of the people around me that I heard acting poorly had some pretty thick northeastern accents...

Maybe it was the region fans were from, it was the shows? :grouphug:

Edited by perc2100

Somebody please link me to the year where there was a thread with only praise for the behavior of fans attending that year's championships, for the stadium, and for the host city and its weather, because I don't remember any such year. There are always lots of complaints about this stuff. A lot of it has to do with where you're sitting in the stadium and what your priorities are. It only takes one or a few obnoxious jerks to put a damper on the experience of 300 or more people sitting nearby. We were lucky this year. We only had one clueless fan sitting near us, who got a cell phone call (and took it-- started talking to her caller!) during a show early Thursday, and I just turned around, shook my head, and mouthed, "Not now", and her husband made her end the call and turn off the phone. Generally, people near us were great. Sure, there were minor issues with the stadium and the city, as always, but overall, it was a very positive experience... as always. Otherwise, why go back?

Edited by Peel Back

... so does anyone have any inkling as to when DCI might release their official attendence numbers? I have been at finals each year for the last 10 or so and have thus never really paid any attention to the official releases from the DCI office.

I also seem to remember in past years when I was at finals that they announced some rough estimate over the loudspeakers - did they skip that part this year?

*sigh* And here we go again - travelling from Arizona to the east coast yearly again. And on a graduate student's salary. *groan*

We need to get some scholarships together to send FANS to finals, too!!! LoL

Edited by franciumboy

• 9 years later...
On 8/12/2007 at 2:39 AM, Backstrom said:

Mid-20s? No no. Check out some of the numbers in the 80s. In Madison, I heard finals broke 40k. I know there were huge numbers at Montreal too.

It's just in recent years that attendance was been around 20k. 30k will be a milestone for this century.

Montreal '81 was 44,000 finals paid attendance

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, fatbrassboy said:

Montreal '81 was 44,000 finals paid attendance

Yup. That was the last show that I marched...until 2006 & the Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Project.