On the Propriety of Booing

Trust me, withholding your applause or leaving the stands communicates absolutely nothing unless you're the only one in the stands to begin with.

Um, trust me. Having been loaded down with the albatross of an idea that a magic show would somehow magically save our 1978 season -- and it didn't -- I can assure you, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that a corps accustomed to hearing strong crowd reaction to its performances, and failing to get that, sends a very strong message, indeed.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that much more appauling than booing at drum corps shows. And I've participated in both.

I guess that's the difference between us. I consider them both equally appalling. Just because the recipient of said behavior is older and perhaps a bit better equipped to handle it doesn't make the behavior any better, IMO. What you have in both situations are young people working their hardest to do their best. They are not being paid for what they do (contrary to the "professional" image drum corps still carries). And, as others have mentioned, in the case of drum corps, they have no input into the creative design of their shows. So they're still not the ones who should be on the receiving end of that kind of behavior.

I have to say, I agree with a many of the sentiments of the original post (especially about '93 Star); however, I still have some reluctance to boo a drum corps. I just don't know how else to voice displeasure with the show designers without projecting that upon the corps members - especially when the judging community is falling into the trap of believing that some of these new directions = art.

it's very simple Skyraider. You sit on your hands, you politely keep your voice to a minium and by these simple acts voice your displeasure.

IMHO, angry reactions in the moment are never conducive to convincing others that you are right and they are wrong. While booing satisfies the outrage in the moment of the individual who feels cheated/wronged/etc, in my mind it harms the relationship and does not make for further dialog that can help change the situation. I think its a short step to other forms of mob violence (throwing objects at the performer, God forbid), and its walking on dangerous ground.

Its unfortunate that junior corps has become a splintered community. Part of it is an age thing, but there are even those who are recent ageouts who are fighting against the current state. Violent words and actions (booing included) are not going to unite us, and not going to convince those in charge to change. When physical lives are at stake, defense and counterattack certainly have their place (police, army, etc) but not in drum corps. If you want it to change, dialog with those in power, but getting violent is wrong.

DCI Broadcast Host Gene Rayburn

Are you serious? That's awesome.

"The Madison Scouts were so loud--"

"HOW LOUD WERE THEY?"

OP -

You place the start of booing a corps with 1993 Star. Apparently you weren't in attendance at Camp Randall at the Preview of Champions in 1991. Never heard anything like it - before or since. It was so bad that the venerable Brandt Crocker even lost his cool for a moment and said, over the public address system, "That's uncalled for!!", after which, the booing acutally got louder. The booing was for Star beating Cavies. I wouldn't say the booing was all directed at the judges that day. I think it had a lot of anti-Star in it.

Anyway, booing is bush league. This kids aren't paid for what they do. Give it a rest.

I know this is a DCI forum but i remember Reading Buccaneers being booed off the field in Hersey PA.....in 1974!!!!!! Booing is childish and there are more mature ways to express displeasure.

I know this is a DCI forum but i remember Reading Buccaneers being booed off the field in Hersey PA.....in 1974!!!!!! Booing is childish and there are more mature ways to express displeasure.

First DC show I every saw and what an initiation. My family and myself were on the backside stands and got a great view of a lousy happening.

Simply put, When Cabs were announced in 2nd the booing started.

Also the programs started flying if I remember correctly....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

it's very simple Skyraider. You sit on your hands, you politely keep your voice to a minium and by these simple acts voice your displeasure.

This is what I do. As I stated earlier, I don't boo performances, but I don't dismiss those that do out of hand as ignorant or uncivilized as some of the posters on this board seem to do. But when will it get to the point where we are expected to give everybody standing o's......where sitting on your hands is looked upon as "boorish". Does booing pass the gut check......it doesn't for me. To me.....people should use the gut check more often. I think people behave more ntelligently when they don't think so much.

The old standby (have you marched before)........I always laugh when I hear this one. That's like saying Charlie Weis can't Coach or have an opinion about Pro Football because he never played pro or even college football for that matter. I have not marched, but I have been in plenty of situations where I have performed.

The comment I made about 20 corps vs. 1000's of MB's was meant to underscore the fact that when you are dealing with such a select, small, number of particpants people tend to be more passionate about it because those corps are all that remains of something very near and dear to those people. And when somebody like Hopkins continously puts off a segment of the audience (which are quite often also people who have marched), it doesn't surprise me that people boo him.

Edited by ech2os

This is what I do. As I stated earlier, I don't boo performances, but I don't dismiss those that do out of hand as ignorant or uncivilized as some of the posters on this board seem to do. But when will it get to the point where we are expected to give everybody standing o's......where sitting on your hands is looked upon as "boorish". Does booing pass the gut check......it doesn't for me. To me.....people should use the gut check more often. I think people behave more ntelligently when they don't think so much.

The old standby (have you marched before)........I always laugh when I hear this one. That's like saying Charlie Weis can't Coach or have an opinion about Pro Football because he never played pro or even college football for that matter. I have not marched, but I have been in plenty of situations where I have performed.

The comment I made about 20 corps vs. 1000's of MB's was meant to underscore the fact that when you are dealing with such a select, small, number of particpants people tend to be more passionate about it because those corps are all that remains of something very near and dear to those people. And when somebody like Hopkins continously puts off a segment of the audience (which are quite often also people who have marched), it doesn't surprise me that people boo him.

Charlie Weis is indeed a good, if not great coach. However, he would never be so stupid as to actually pretend to understand what goes on in the hearts and minds of his players as a player. which anyone will tell you is quite different from coaching.

Your comments show that you have not sweated it out for 10 months and performed you guts out at the end of summer. For you to pretend to understand what goes on in the hearts and minds of a drum corps performer (sorry, it's very very very very very much different than any other type of performance) is....silly.

Sorry to be so dismissive....but you don't know what you're talking about.

By the way....is the "I'm booing George Hopkins, not the corps" argument sorta like swimming in the non-chlorinated side of the pool?