Phantom Regiment 2007

Lest you think I will not HONK with the best of them for my boys and girls in white...

Thank you, Phantom Regiment, for making 2007 such a wonderful season for us phans. Musically, you came up with my favorite Regiment show since 2004, a fact I was not unabashed in gushing about to Dan and JD after semis, when you turned in an emotional, riveting, and technically excellent performance. You were stunning in absolutely every way in Pasadena. I get chills thinking about how you brought this simple show concept to life in a way that is at once completely innovative (see drill design that I believe has pushed the activity in ways that will be talked about for a long time to come, and your performance of it, which was undervalued given its freshness) and magnificently "Phantom Regiment". Each one of you, from guard to horns to drums, became dancers. And we'd always toyed with that, messed around with it. Stood around in ballet positions for halts. But you made it happen. I still couldn't believe it. You danced and played the whole show. How'd you do that? :lookaround:

I hope each and every member came to Rockford with the notion, first and foremost, of being a member of Phantom Regiment, a corps we as alumni dearly love more than we can describe in a post like this. It's an ideal more than anything. And our corps changes from year to year. This year, after talking with Dan and JD, I believe our corps put on the mantle of educator. It was as if the Faust show was Regiment's 2nd championship (2nd place or otherwise) and PR did the traditional DCI move of taking a difficult show on as a follow-up, which is more or less an obligation of a champion...to push the activity. Faust was written 'to win.' 'On Air' was written, in my opinion, to fly. And it did.

So when I listen to the opener, I hear something that reminds me of the most riveting things I've ever heard on the field of drum corps competition. It brightens my mindset immediately. It is unstoppable force and things set in motion and the inevitable wall of sound. And I thank you for it.

And I hear your amazing ballad, and I turn into a pile of mush. It is so exquisitely gorgeous it ought not even be legal outside a concert hall. And then your guard brought it to life in a way that made a piece I'd tired of, and thought hack, back as a favorite. And again, how do you do that?

And then the angry birds attacking and showing one of the fiercest, most competitive forces in drum lines in the history of DCI. And don't think we didn't notice.

And then the Firebird. And a show that seemed like it lasted about a minute and a half. And I wished you could play for hours.

How do you do that? Easy.

You're Phantom Regiment. You are awesome in ways that haven't been invented yet.

And I thank you. :doh:

Edited by festive

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lest you think I will not HONK with the best of them for my boys and girls in white...

Thank you, Phantom Regiment, for making 2007 such a wonderful season for us phans. Musically, you came up with my favorite Regiment show since 2004, a fact I was not unabashed in gushing about to Dan and JD after semis, when you turned in an emotional, riveting, and technically excellent performance. You were stunning in absolutely every way in Pasadena. I get chills thinking about how you brought this simple show concept to life in a way that is at once completely innovative (see drill design that I believe has pushed the activity in ways that will be talked about for a long time to come, and your performance of it, which was undervalued given its freshness) and magnificently "Phantom Regiment". Each one of you, from guard to horns to drums, became dancers. And we'd always toyed with that, messed around with it. Stood around in ballet positions for halts. But you made it happen. I still couldn't believe it. You danced and played the whole show. How'd you do that? :lookaround:

I hope each and every member came to Rockford with the notion, first and foremost, of being a member of Phantom Regiment, a corps we as alumni dearly love more than we can describe in a post like this. It's an ideal more than anything. And our corps changes from year to year. This year, after talking with Dan and JD, I believe our corps put on the mantle of educator. It was as if the Faust show was Regiment's 2nd championship (2nd place or otherwise) and PR did the traditional DCI move of taking a difficult show on as a follow-up, which is more or less an obligation of a champion...to push the activity. Faust was written 'to win.' 'On Air' was written, in my opinion, to fly. And it did.

So when I listen to the opener, I hear something that reminds me of the most riveting things I've ever heard on the field of drum corps competition. It brightens my mindset immediately. It is unstoppable force and things set in motion and the inevitable wall of sound. And I thank you for it.

And I hear your amazing ballad, and I turn into a pile of mush. It is so exquisitely gorgeous it ought not even be legal outside a concert hall. And then your guard brought it to life in a way that made a piece I'd tired of, and thought hack, back as a favorite. And again, how do you do that?

And then the angry birds attacking and showing one of the fiercest, most competitive forces in drum lines in the history of DCI. And don't think we didn't notice.

And then the Firebird. And a show that seemed like it lasted about a minute and a half. And I wished you could play for hours.

How do you do that? Easy.

You're Phantom Regiment. You are awesome in ways that haven't been invented yet.

And I thank you. :doh:

Agreed.

I got Chills at Indianapolis when PR dropped to 1 knee for the wedge! To end their show! b**bs

Also when they were Jazz Running in Double time it seemed like It gave me chills! :lookaround: I <3 Phantom Regiment! :doh:

Edited by Supersop08

I have to agree,

this is the one show I've been listening to on my IPOD almost every day since June. I've already bought it 3 times from DCI just to hear the progression of it throughout the summer.

Watching the show on the DCI webcast I was amazed at how great the show was visually. And what a colorguard - simply one of the most expressive and elegant guards out on the field today.

Loved On Air :lookaround:

Can't wait to see what next year will be.

Later,

Mike

I thought that this was the most emotionally involving show of the whole summer. It almost brought tears to my eyes... in June! Thanks to all the kids and staff who really brought this show together.

This is Mark's wife Jillian

And I agree with every word in the OP!! This is hands down my favorite Regiment show EVER!! Sorry Mark, 96 is still in the Top 4!! :D

The APD was purchased as soon as it came out and is what helps me fall asleep every night, along with 96 & 03 Regiment!!

I have so much respect and admiration for every one involved in the 2007 Production of On Air.

Thank you for all of the tears of joy!!

I saw PR in Naperville a few weeks back and thought there music was just beautiful. Opener, Flower Duet, Firebird just sounded so full. By far my favorite PR show in years.

I'll admit...I teared up at the end of the show finals night with the crowd on their feet roaring and seeing that wedge on the field. Magnificent show.

Their rendition of Flower Duet might be my favorite ballad of all time. Brilliant show.

I'll admit...I teared up at the end of the show finals night with the crowd on their feet roaring and seeing that wedge on the field. Magnificent show.

And drowning in the ocean of brass, too...I about lost it entirely. Wow...they were LOUD. B)