Phantom Regiment 2007

This summer was so special for me in regards to Drum Corps since I got to do two things I have always dreamed of. #1 going on tour as a volunteer for a corps and #2 getting to see PR more than just once or twice.

While helping out with Academy we had the pleasure of having serveral shows together and I can't say how exciting it was for me to get to see the show grow over the course of a few weeks to be more spectacular and entertaining every time I saw it. I was accused by the other Academy crew of being a Phantom stalker since every time I got a chance I would steal away and go visit the food crew or tell the kids and staff how much I loved what they were putting on the field.

I too bought the first APD from June and listend to it on my IPOD and car stereo over and over so I guess it is fair to say I found it to rank right at the top of my all time favorite shows. Great job this year and I cannot wait to see you next year I only hope I get more than 7 live performances next year to feed my PR addiction.

BTW - Watching them so many time made me think of something that sets PR apart in my eyes. "Phantom Regiment is the corps that make people wish they were a Drum Major."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an excellent show. My favorite of the year. Congratulations on a great season, guys.

It is because of the Phantom Regiment that I am still engaged in this activity after several years. Thank you for what you do...you enlighten my summer schedule year after year. This show gave me a knot in my throat way back in Coon Rapids....never has that happened at a season opener show. You are amazing and am very much looking forward to next year's production and a great performance in Indy!!!

This show was AWESOME! (in the true sense of the word)

It was so Elegant, Musical, Expressive, and Artistic!

It had both Power and Tenderness! A full range of dynamics and emotions.

I definately feel the visual program was under appreciated.

Thank You PHANTOM!!!

Lest you think I will not HONK with the best of them for my boys and girls in white...

Thank you, Phantom Regiment, for making 2007 such a wonderful season for us phans. Musically, you came up with my favorite Regiment show since 2004, a fact I was not unabashed in gushing about to Dan and JD after semis, when you turned in an emotional, riveting, and technically excellent performance. You were stunning in absolutely every way in Pasadena. I get chills thinking about how you brought this simple show concept to life in a way that is at once completely innovative (see drill design that I believe has pushed the activity in ways that will be talked about for a long time to come, and your performance of it, which was undervalued given its freshness) and magnificently "Phantom Regiment". Each one of you, from guard to horns to drums, became dancers. And we'd always toyed with that, messed around with it. Stood around in ballet positions for halts. But you made it happen. I still couldn't believe it. You danced and played the whole show. How'd you do that? :worthy:

I hope each and every member came to Rockford with the notion, first and foremost, of being a member of Phantom Regiment, a corps we as alumni dearly love more than we can describe in a post like this. It's an ideal more than anything. And our corps changes from year to year. This year, after talking with Dan and JD, I believe our corps put on the mantle of educator. It was as if the Faust show was Regiment's 2nd championship (2nd place or otherwise) and PR did the traditional DCI move of taking a difficult show on as a follow-up, which is more or less an obligation of a champion...to push the activity. Faust was written 'to win.' 'On Air' was written, in my opinion, to fly. And it did.

So when I listen to the opener, I hear something that reminds me of the most riveting things I've ever heard on the field of drum corps competition. It brightens my mindset immediately. It is unstoppable force and things set in motion and the inevitable wall of sound. And I thank you for it.

And I hear your amazing ballad, and I turn into a pile of mush. It is so exquisitely gorgeous it ought not even be legal outside a concert hall. And then your guard brought it to life in a way that made a piece I'd tired of, and thought hack, back as a favorite. And again, how do you do that?

And then the angry birds attacking and showing one of the fiercest, most competitive forces in drum lines in the history of DCI. And don't think we didn't notice.

And then the Firebird. And a show that seemed like it lasted about a minute and a half. And I wished you could play for hours.

How do you do that? Easy.

You're Phantom Regiment. You are awesome in ways that haven't been invented yet.

And I thank you. :beer:

Exactly as Above. SUTA, my friends.

Noticed 11 tubs for quarters thru finals....was one contra sent home or sick?? Regiment usually marches a full 12, if not 14.

I noticed that as well. They deffinately had 12 the first part of the season so something happened.

A girl broke her hip. My Asst. Band Director is a Visual Tech in PR.

Sorry to here that. I hope she has a fast and complete recovery.

BTW - Watching them so many time made me think of something that sets PR apart in my eyes. "Phantom Regiment is the corps that make people wish they were a Conductor."

fixed and AMEN to that!!!

i only have the utmost respect for this organization. they truly understand that not only music, but great music is the basis for this activity...and that they are truly the keepers of the most remembered musical books (and God knows ballads!!!) in dci history. it's also why i keep coming back every summer and can't WAIT for next year!!!

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTA~!