Why the Cadets should have won

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone can safely agree that the Cadets should have won. Good show guys, good show.

From what I saw, the kids worked really hard, but, were oveshadowed by the narration. Devs deseved the win.

Sure you can listen to both...but the symbiotic nature of narration to music is something that your also have to consider in shows like these.

We can say Verdi's "Dies Irae" and Britney Spears "I'm A Slave 4 U" are both textured in the same way...and in some level, that's true: music and vocals are part of a whole. That said, one obviously is more complex than the other, and in this age of theme shows, GE is god, and so on...the narration does sort of just "sit" there on top of three un-related tunes, kind of like Cadets 2001 with vocals.

It's obvious that the show is "day in the life" of being a Cadet (and, moreso, marching in a drum corps)...but let's break it down:

-Does "Blue Shades" really encompass anything more than being a production number with the narration?

-Does "Symphonic Movement" do anything more than provide a techincal vehicle for the trumpets, and the horn line via the narration?

-How does "Cantus" relate to what it means to be a Cadet re: the narrator?

(Should there have been more nods to what being a Cadet means? Bocook sneaking in "O Holy Name", more "through the years" with the visual forms?)

Bluecoats concept, while simple...used narration as a support mechanism, as did Carolina Crown.

The Cadets show has the entire show resting on narration; therefore it stands to reason that it must be performed and incorporated into the show at a much, much higher level. I don't feel like it was written to do that, but to just act as a superficial "this is X, this is Y" spotlight.

Was it performed well? Absolutely, no doubt...amazing brass book, one of the best Cadets lines I've heard.

I would respectfully hesitate to say it was ground-breaking, though.

I couldn't have put it better. A show shouldn't be dependent on the narration. Could the "This I Believe" get the "point" across without the narration? I think not...

As I was standing in my retreat block waiting for the scores to be finished so I could play the Chicken Dance during ATB (no, i didn't really do that, but I probably should have), all I really wanted was for the Cadets to win. I thought they earned it, they probably had the best show in the top 12. Granted, I didn't see their finals performance since I was too busy crying and eating Mentos, I'm pretty sure they probably did a pretty top notch job. Besides, This I Believe was lightyears ahead of BD or anything anyone else in the upper tier (lets say the top 10) were doing this year. Just like Star in 1993, they'll get their credit somewhere down the line. Anyway, that's my ramble, I think everyone can safely agree that the Cadets should have won. Good show guys, good show.

Sad this is coming from a current corps member and you're putting a bad light on the Boston Crusader organization. It's all cool baby. Opinions are fine, but coming back to this thread over and over again just to ruffle feathers is well for lack of a better word immature. I hope you had a great season and learned some valuable life lessons. I enjoyed your show this year.

Cadets presented two things which I think will have trickle-down impact:

1. The use of voice as a texture woven and written into the music. ....... Cadets used spoken word as another instrument in the score, with counts designated to it.

I think I've finally figured out my problem: I'm not smart enough to enjoy narration. I don't even know what texture is. I thought it was something you feel with your fingers. I also didn't know the spoken word is an instrument. <Sigh> I don't like narration because I'm not smart enough.

Isn't this whole thread just flame bait from the OP?

Isn't this whole thread just flame bait from the OP?

At first blush, possibly...but I think we've moved the discussion away from the "x is better than y" sentiment at the beginning and more towards critical analysis a few pages later.

i DID think that BD was a little "safer" and a little "less exposed" than the cadets- visually especially- i dont presume to be a judge or an expert- but i thought the cadets were the best when i saw them in mid-July...

My brother, who hadn't been to a drum corps show since 1970, was blown away by everyone. Without revealing my bias for or against narration, I inquired him about his thoughts on the topic. He felt that it was fine as long as it doesn't take over the show. His feeling was, Cadets went too far.

RM - M-12 no more

ampssuck

Sad this is coming from a current corps member and you're putting a bad light on the Boston Crusader organization. It's all cool baby. Opinions are fine, but coming back to this thread over and over again just to ruffle feathers is well for lack of a better word immature. I hope you had a great season and learned some valuable life lessons. I enjoyed your show this year.

I don't think it was tasteless at all.

just sayin.

I agree with Einstein, btw.

~>conner