The drum corps activity, some controversy and new designs...

Random Concept #65

nikolais_dance1_l.jpg

nikolais_dance2_l.jpg

Pretty neat...the band show we are doing is titled Windows this season, and we have about 6 actual window frames (modified to stand alone) on the sideline, and guard gals do some of the same things pictured. Most of the music I arranged, winds and percussion, is from Gillingham's Stained Glass.

We have five huge window props backfield...each has three painted "scenes" that are dropped as each movement begins...starts out white for the first movement...Frosted Windows, second is black for Darkened Windows, and the finale is multi colored...Stained Glass Windows. The guard starts with white "parkas" as their tops....for movement two takes them off to reveal black tops...and for the finale takes the black top off to reveal the multi-colored tops for the Stained Glass movement (of course, flags to match each movement too).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yo, danielray, can you please start a drum corps. like, right now. go. do it. it would be kick-###.

Thanks. :)

One of these days I might actually end up doing this (but maybe not in the US).

I think I'm actually a bit more qualified on the business side of things than the creative, though I do think it would be fun to start to write/coordinate/concept again for bands, winterguards, whatever (and I'd even do it for free... hell, I'd even pay some groups to let me work with them B) ). It's one of those things that you realize that you really enjoyed doing and wonder why you ever stopped.

Anyway, I have actually seriously considered starting up a corps and have gone through some exercises on the business planning side and have even worked through how to develop and sustain the necessary revenue streams.

Starting a corps is something that I will more likely end up doing than would not. How soon that may happen, where it will be and what form it may take, simply depends on some personal and professional issues and decisions. I would need to be able to be dedicated to the organization.

Some fantastic ideas Daniel, loved the Voyager one.

Another random concept...

Guard has all kinds of random equipment (think along the lines of Star '93 + Stomp + a lumber yard + Burning Man).

Throughout the performance pieces of equipment are used, then 'retired' at various points as it is contributed to the building of some sort of structure.

Part of this construction includes hammering (btw - giant sledge hammers would be very cool pieces of equipment... the head would need to be remolded out of another material to make it work... but...) and other percussive events.

All of these pieces, individually, seem like rather ambiguous pieces of unique equipment. The construction process builds a sort of mystery, as each piece is added... like some funky TinkerToy type puzzle piece, gradually giving definition to the structure, until the final point in the construction where it all comes together and becomes clear, obvious and recognizable.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out Carolina Crown 2001. They had something similar going with their opener but they didn't take it quite as far as your idea does. It was easily one of the most inovative openers I had seen in a while when I saw it on the field. Building on that idea, as long as it's done right, would be pure genius.

Random Concept #22:

Time.

(of course it would obvious have to include 'Time' by Pink Floyd, and possibly even 'Clocks' by

Coldplay)

11 minute show.

During the warm up each second of the 1 minute is ticked out.... as a section of Pink Floyd's -

Time is played (excerpts from 00:50 to 02:20 ish... all the chords and tick tock drum stuff... if you're following along at home).

Leading up to the last 12 seconds of the warm up a number of alarm clock sounds (like at 00:20 in

the recording) in the few seconds just before the end of the warm up, leading directly into the

first piece.

Actual show begins with the pick up to the main theme (02:28 in the recording) and a single chime

and opening set on the down beat. Opening set mimics a clock set at 1 o'clock.

On each subsequent minute mark, the next corresponding hour on the clock is shown in a set in the

exact same centered position as the original ( can even be only for a single count) with the

appropriate number of chimes corresponding to the hour.

Themes of pendulum, clock gears, etc. are woven into the concept visually.

Leading up to the last set is a frantic spinning or closing in, like a second hand, leading up to

the stroke of midnight...

Edited by danielray

Random Concept #44:

YES, No, Maybe

The music of YES, 'No' - by Shakira and 'Maybe' by Emma Bunton.

I'm actually not kidding.

I shock myself that I would suggest some cheesy pop star... but look these tunes up on YouTube with an open mind.

Edited by danielray

Random Concept #11:

Basement Jaxx

Hot N Cold

Good Luck

Hush Boy

Do Your Thing

Take Me Back to Your House

This stuff will take a bit of imagination and a great arranger to pull off... but, I think one reason why drum corps, more or less, start to look the similar (Star Trek refugees), sound similar, and have little true variety is that they are all going to pretty much the same well for sources of music and inspiration.

Why not look for all sorts of funky and diverse sources? There is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much out there completely untouched, so many possibilities, why not break the mold entirely?

BTW - check out the video for Basement Jaxx 'Cish Cash' (it's on YouTube)... it is done by an incredible group called Pleix. Drill on the football field with tanks and airplanes???

Bee Gees.... Bee Gees.... Bee Gees.... Bee Gees....

You Should Be Dancing

Night Fever

Staying Alive

I am not kidding on this one.

Staying Alive was/is absolute genius... take a fresh listen to it. It could be unreal.

There is SO much cool music out there that people don't even think about. A quick list of random possibilities in the more rock/pop/hip-hop/soul whatever space...

"Take Off Your Cool" - Andre 3000/Norah Jones

"My Favorite Things" - Andre 3000 (a rework of Coltrane's version)

"Prototype" - Andre 3000

"God Only Knows" - The Beach Boys

"Wouldn't it Be Nice" - The Beach Boys

"Don't Worry Baby" - The Beach Boys

"Use Me" - Bill Withers

"Lovely Day" - Bill Withers

"Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers

"Hello Like Before" - Bill Withers (could be incredible)

"Paranoid" - Black Sabbath

"One Way or Another" - Blondie/Pat Benatar

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" - Bonnie Tyler (um, no, I am not kidding)

"I Would Give Everything I Own" - Bread

"What the World Needs Now is Love" - Burt Bacharach

"London Calling" - The Clash

"I Fought the Law" - The Clash

"Rock the Casbah" - The Clash

"Speed King" - Deep Purple

"Fireball" - Deep Purple

"Child in Time" - Deep Purple (<< would be absolutely unreal)

"Woman from Tokyo" - Deep Purple

"Highway Star" - Deep Purple

"Space Trucking" - Deep Purple

"Burn" - Deep Purple

"Stormbringer" - Deep Purple

"Demon's Eye" - Deep Purple

"I Feel Love" - Donna Summer

"Long Train Runnin'" - Doobie Brothers

"China Grove" - Doobie Brothers

"Listen to the Music" - Doobie Brothers

"Takin' it to the Streets" - Doobie Brothers

"Black Water" - Doobie Brothers

"Jesus is Just Alright" - Doobie Brothers

"Minute by Minute" - Doobie Brothers

"Here to Love You" - Doobie Brothers

"Real Love" - Doobie Brothers

"Touch Me" - The Doors (<<< absolutely perfect)

"The Crystal Ship" - The Doors

"Lover Her Madly" - The Doors

"LA Woman" - The Doors

"L'America" - The Doors

"Hyacinth House" - The Doors

"The Wasp" - The Doors

"Riders on the Storm" - The Doors

"Love Street" - The Doors

"Break on Through" - The Doors

"The End" - The Doors

"Light My Fire" - The Doors

"You're Lost Little Girl" - The Doors

"Love Me Two Times" - The Doors

"Unhappy Girl" - The Doors

"Moonlight Drive" - The Doors

"People are Strange" - The Doors

"My Eyes Have Seen You" - The Doors

"I Can't See Your Face in My Mind" - The Doors

"When The Music's Over" - The Doors

"Love Street" - The Doors

"Not to Touch the Earth" - The Doors

"Wintertime Love" - The Doors (<< could be VERY cool)

"Spanish Caravan" - The Doors (<< amazing)

Wow... I forgot how incredible The Doors could be... maybe I'll just stop for awhile B)