The Gay issue

Well, when I marched in Star of Indiana in 1985 it was well known that I was a dyke. Heck, I used to party at the local gay bar with George Zingalli and the visual staff, some were gay, some not.

I didn't have too many problems, but did get called a dyke a few times in a deogratory way. And everytime it happened I got 100x more support from most of the corps.

Sad thing is, I went back to march in a DCA corps in 2005 and apparently the only reason I did that was to hit on another dyke in the corps. :ph34r: People can be idiots anywhere, anytime I suppose. Maybe if some people in that corps didn't waste time spreading rumors about why someone returned to an activity they did when they were younger, that particular corps would be more successful from a competitive standpoint.

Me like the Renegades. They LOVE lesbians there!!!!

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Yes it is true Sara! We love us some lesbians in the Renegades! b**bs

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still going, huh...okay.

Here's my take on the whole, "I don't care what he does, as long as he doesn't touch me"", nutroll. In 1976/77 we were kind of a very low budget operation, that corps I marched with at the time, so many of us shared beds, yes, straight men sharing the same bed without feeling compelled to get weird about it, however we had a drum major who had not outted himself and would, while his bed sharing partner slept, play touchy feely with him until he awakened to run screaming into the shower to scrub with a wire brush. So, in the case of the Kingsmen, oh was that outloud, the expression bore some creadence. There are so many little inside stories like this about that particular corps...like offers of free tours. But that would be off topic.

I'm still waiting for my dinner and dancing though. B)

So, Mike? Did the wire brush get all the gay off? ^0^

Yeah, I know Tony, you've made that very clear. :P

How come straight guys won't assume that every female out there automatically wants to jump their bones, but some straight guys automatically assume a gay guy wants them. I mean, alot of times you'll hear "I don't care, as long as they leave me alone". What makes you think <insert gay guy> is interested in YOU anyway? b**bs

Well who could resist this hunka' hunka' burning man love, anyway? Sheesh! :P

Y'know ... Braggin' about all the Lesbian action in the Renegades may not exactly be the best recruiting tactic for recruiting single hetero males ... I mean, come on! That's like setting out a steak dinner with all the trimmings, and taking your knife and fork away!

I mean, come on! ^0^ b**bs ^0^ b**bs B)

P.S.: What time are run throughs at Mars this weekend? :ph34r:

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Ya know what I wonder...and I'm posing this question to the guys here b/c in my experience, chicks don't seem to do this but..

How come straight guys won't assume that every female out there automatically wants to jump their bones, but some straight guys automatically assume a gay guy wants them. I mean, alot of times you'll hear "I don't care, as long as they leave me alone". What makes you think <insert gay guy> is interested in YOU anyway? b**bs

You are so correct on this. You can't even talk to some straight guy's about anything, even most of my straight corps friends cause they think you want them. Just because I am gay does not mean I want you. I am in a 18 year relationship, I am very happy, but that does not matter in their eyes.

A lot of straight men love lesbians. In thier eye's, if your a lesbian your just fine. I never understood that!!!

Edited by bobk9258

You are so correct on this. You can't even talk to some straight guy's about anything, even most of my straight corps friends cause they think you want them. Just because I am gay does not mean I want you.

I've heard it phrased this way: "I may be gay, but I still have taste." :P

I find it amusing that several people have mentioned the Cavaliers and Scouts as having been perceived as hotbeds of gayness (maybe not the best choice of words). When I first came to drum corps in the early 80s, I viewed those two corps as hyper-masculine and the very epitomy of what we then called "macho." Even the guys in the guard had that mystique and I never thought any of them might be gay. It was the handful of guys that found their way into the predominantly female guards that I always suspected.

I find it amusing that several people have mentioned the Cavaliers and Scouts as having been perceived as hotbeds of gayness (maybe not the best choice of words). When I first came to drum corps in the early 80s, I viewed those two corps as hyper-masculine and the very epitomy of what we then called "macho." Even the guys in the guard had that mystique and I never thought any of them might be gay. It was the handful of guys that found their way into the predominantly female guards that I always suspected.

i find the scouts to be more "macho" and the cavies to be the more "less masculine" corps, i can't imagine there is one heterosexual male in the cavies guard.