The Gay issue

10%, 1%, 3%, it doesn't matter, 100% human, that's the part that matters
This, folks, is wisdom. If only everyone were so wise.

So true.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was never an issue or even "hidden" when I marched in Quebec, it was just a fact of life - although when I went to march in the States in the late '80's it did seem like it was more taboo - which always perplexed me.

Later,

Mike

I wonder why it was such a stigma in my corps. I mean, by 87, all anyone could talk about was Stanley Knobb and how "flaming" he was, and the one guy from the soprano line who was openly gay, and now he was an instructor but no one should take him seriously because ya know... he's gay.... etc.

It really was rather pathetic.

Why would you put somebodies name out there????

Why would you put somebodies name out there????

because that person was more than likely open about it, so putting a name out there has a fairly small chance of making any negative impact on that person's life, since that person essentially put their name out to begin with.

a) He was openly gay and highly respected

B) He wouldn't care

c) He died

His name is spelled "Knaub"....

Not an issue with me....open secret for one staff member in 84.....I cared FAR more about the great brass instruction i was getting than which way his rope swung.

And more recently, I marched with someone who was so incandescently flaming you could light a cigar just by standing within 10 feet of him....didn't care about that either....cared more about the guard work he was putting together (great stuff, too)

'Course, I've had gay friends before, so it doesn't even register on my own radar. I had one friend make a light pass at me early on....told him I was straight and no thanks...he backed off and we remained good friends until he died.

I would assume Madison and Cavies had more tolerance back then.

In my years there were probably a couple dozen gay guys in the guard. No one ever made an issue of it but nor were there many friendships between the guard and the rest of the corps.