QUESTION about Hopkins, Blame

It's popular to blame George Hopkins for everything from sunspots to hairloss

I can't tell you my source on this, but I know for a fact that George Hopkins is not responsible for hair loss. :P

Fran

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Hop not a good canidate to write the narration? The show was about what they believe and since he is the director of the corps, who would have been a better choice. He has been with the organization longer than anyone and the corps is practically his life. He's the one that give the members the opportunity to learn what it means to be a cadet along with the other staff members. He sits down with the members and talks about life and how to relate what the show was trying to portray to each members life. The idea of choice is so much more than who decided the script...

It would be interesting to go back and look at all of the posts in 99/2000 when Bb horns started replacing bugles. You would have thought George Hopkins was the devil and drum corps was over as we know it... funny how things settle into place and we begin to accept it as it is evolving over time now I'm not saying everyone should use narration... or that everyone should use Bb horns even... but if they want to...they can... it is THEIR show... THEIR choice... and THEIR corps.

could Cadets show done without the narration this year... yes... but Troopers could have also kept their bugles as well... it's their choice to make

(20 some pages later... sorry)

but it was more like 2000-2001..

and i am 99.9% sure that you are wrong about troopers. i believe they finally made the Bb switch this year. going from G to Bb isnt so much about choice. its about economics, competition, and money.

I can't tell you my source on this, but I know for a fact that George Hopkins is not responsible for hair loss. :P

Fran

You're just going to have to believe me on this....because I heard from someone who was there...Geroge Hopkins caused the 1906 earthquake. Look, I can't mention names, but it came straight from the mouth of someone who was there.

How is Hop not a good canidate to write the narration? The show was about what they believe and since he is the director of the corps, who would have been a better choice. He has been with the organization longer than anyone and the corps is practically his life. He's the one that give the members the opportunity to learn what it means to be a cadet along with the other staff members. He sits down with the members and talks about life and how to relate what the show was trying to portray to each members life. The idea of choice is so much more than who decided the script...

Well, intimate knowledge does not necessarily translate into narrative compositional skill. Or mean you're a good writer.

Let's try this analogy. George Lucas has intimate knowledge of the Star Wars universe. Did that translate into good scripts for movies for 1, 2, and 3? That would be a no...

Many people are of the opinion that the writing for narration was horrible, saccharine, and many other things. To me, it was so painfully bad it made me squirm in my seat at quarterfinals. If George wrote the narration, then he should be culpable for mediocre (at best) copy. The brass book was good. The drum book was good. The drill was good. The narration was like a giant boil on the side of a supermodel's face.

The Bluecoats show theme was not about the Value of Choices, and the Director did not instruct the narrators to say " I beleive in Choices..... it's MY life..... and I get to choose ". Had the Bluecoats had this type of show theme organized in this fashion and The Cadets did a show theme on Criminals and portrayed it the way they did,, my comments would have applied similarly, but to the Bluecoats staff, and not The Cadets staff and Director. But to their credit, the Bluecoats did not design and implement a theme in this fashion. Nor did any other Corps have a theme revolving around" the Value of Choices", and have those "choices" chosen by the staff, including the hollow ( in my opinion ) words.... "I believe in choice".... "It's MY life"..... and" I get to choose"..... and so on and so forth. If some people don't see the irony in all this.. fine. No problem. It is afterall, MY choice to see the irony and hypocrisy in those words and chuckle, and others if so inclined to infer whatever they want and applaud it's creative brilliance or whatever middle ground they have on this for that matter.

You keep bringing things up like this as if you're some kind of secret genius or something. Is it completely beyond you to see that making one choice precludes you from making another choice? The message of the cadets show is not 'we can do whatever we want whenever we want'. Choice is a two part action - the choice itself is the first and less important part. The carrying out of that choice is the 2nd part, and the one that matters. I say I choose to march (insert corps here), but then I choose not to go to rehearsal. Woo....look at me, Im a paradigm shifting genius....Please, spare us the brilliant observations of irony and cleverness. <**> If I choose to marry one woman, I guess there's about 3 billion other women that I cant marry. This may be tough for you to understand, but believe it or not this is a direct example from GH as a part of the choice lesson.

If I choose to hit 'post', and go eat some subway for lunch, I can't choose NOT to eat subway after I'm done eating it. The choice is made, the action is done. Brilliant irony / hypocrisy? or just a concept so dumb that I never thought it would be brought up....you get to choose :wub:

Spoken like a true outsider David. How do I know...b/c I was there. I marched with her (Barbara Maroney in case you didn't know what her name is) for two years before the change in bringing the horns up was made. It was not changed to accomodate her. It was changed in 1983 simply to be different. The corps was in the midst of forging a new identity which we could call our own and not be anything like any other corps in DCI.

Lol...i was in the corps and i thought we changed it because of her :wub: . Oh, and the right foot step off thing...yeah that was just to be different :P

I would have prefered it if he found someone who understood his beliefs that also understood comminucation a little better. While Hop is a decent public speaker, writing things down to be read aloud later was never his strong suit. Im sure you know well enough that a good performer doesnt always make a good teacher (not that they cant, but one doesnt guarantee the other)

Fran

Yes he is. Everytime his proposals pass, I pull more hair out! :sshh: b**bs

Lol...i was in the corps and i thought we changed it because of her :wub: . Oh, and the right foot step off thing...yeah that was just to be different :P

There's quite a few people who believe that they changed for her.