Can we put the Drum back into Drum Corps

Why is it such a big deal to feature percussion. How many solos are there in shows for horns, 3-4-5?? I believe it was Bostons show this year ( I might be wrong) were the battery was backfield except for the 30 second feature.

Someone said it would be boring after a couple of minutes. Why???

I would love to see a precussion based show just once.

Come see the band show I am writing for the band I work with this fall...wind and percussion score....most of it is Gillinham's "Stained Glass". :P

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the point, but to the OP, I would compare the book of non-feature parts for the full show. Yes, today's features are shorter, but the total demand is vastly greater. In fact, I'd take 8 minutes of show book over a 2 minute feature of yesteryear - because the book of today is better, and of higher demand.

It's not a bag on what was - some of those features rocked. At the same time, once it was over, so was a lot of the demand...

Let's make a deal: put the drum in and take the dut out.

:doh:

My favorite is when the horn guy is just standing there playing the horn. You can't SEE music. You HEAR music. Maybe the camera man can flash on someone that's actually doing something visual. We can still HEAR the music.

This is especially true of parades. The camera always says on the hornline just marching by in a straight line. Meanwhile, the color guard is doing all the visual stuff and you MIGHT see them as the Camera pans back and the parade sponsors logos flash up on the screen. Ummmmmmmmm ok....we just watched twenty rows of musicians doing nothing but marching in a straight line...maybe we could have LISTENED to the music while we WATCHED the color guard perform.

I know....I'm a color guard person, so I'm "biased" but you have to admit, there's some logic there.

cadets tried it last year and it didn't work. it could have been because of the distracting pink on the other side of the field.

You beat me to it. The tea party and its lead-in was entirely percussion from a music standpoint, and lasted over 2-1/2 minutes. That's a drum feature of the magnitude desired by the OP.

Let's make a deal: put the drum in and take the dut out.

AMEN!!

Carpal tunnel would set in if you tried to play most of today's material for 2-3 min. At least I would get it.

AMEN!!

I have to admit, there's something wrong when the best drumming is in the parking lot. Why not showcase these very talented drummers. For all the hard work they do, they deserve it. (And it would be more entertaining for the audience, especially the drummers sitting there.)