What are YOU doing to support the Div II/III drum corps?

There's been quite a bit of talk surrounding Div II/III this year and it's filled with heroes who think THEIR solution is the best. Now, this isn't a topic to bash any of their solutions; it's a topic asking you what you're going to do during winter camps or during the next season to support these corps.

Me personally? I'm marching, recruiting, and REALLY advertising the one drum corps show in southeastern Connecticut.

Any takers?

Edited by Mokumi

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be doing my best to cover Division II/III corps and competitions through Drum Corps Planet, Box Center, and Drum Corps World.

Well, I am going to support the corps as much as possible, hopefully securing the housing for winter camps, increasing their visability in a community that loves them and does not have one, looking at recruiting opportunities and increased funding from some untapped areas. i will volunteer this winter and schedule permitting next summer as well. But basically, as much as time permits and the director allows I will help out where and when ever I can.

I admit I don't do much. I'm not proud of that.

I've been disapointed the last few years that when I go to a show there usually no div II/III corps, certainly no more than one.

For a lot of reasons I have limited time and money and must pick and choose a couple shows each year. I don't like that there are no or maybe one div II/III corps included in most shows with div I corps. When they are I do show up on time to watch, cheer, and support them. I also buy a souvie or put money in the gas fund (not nearly what I wish I could do but I try).

I wish the top div II/III corps had the opportunity to compete in quater finals. On the div I forum people say the div II/III directors were ok with that decision and made their own current finals format. I wonder how true that really is.

I help out by marching in a div II/III corps. I was ok with never marching in a top 12 div I and never winning a ring. But this season, it all changed. I love the corps I am with and would never want to march anywhere else. So I guess you could say that by being a member, I am doing as much as I can for the activity. 2 more years....

Titansop: That is the best thing anyone can do for Div. II/III. To stay with the corps you are with is obviously a personal choice for anyone and they choose their future based on as many different reasons as there are people. It sounds as though the commitment you are making to your corps is one that has created and will create those memories that last a lifetime. Just remember that in a few years, when you have finished with your corps, they could probably use some help fundraising, cooking, equipment, volunteering to develop young members or whatever, and judging by the character from your post I am sure you will be there to help them as much as you are able to continue to make memories that last a lifetime for the next generation. Good for you.

I promote II/III via my writing in Drum Corps World and here on DCP. I also volunteer my services as audio engineer for division II/III audio/video products and study tapes.

Speaking of which, for those of you with corps that didn't go to Pasadena, DCI does have audio performance downloads (APDs) available of your late-season performances. Although they were recorded at the New London, CT, and Wilmot, WI, shows, they are mixed in under "Pasadena" on DCI.org. Show your support by buying these recordings - the more they sell, the more likely DCI will continue to make such recordings available. (/shameless plug)

Well, for the past 6 years we've been paying dues for 2 kids to march. Our son was in for 1 year alone, then our daughter got involved. He aged out this year so we go back to dues for 1 for the next 2 years then she ages out. I've supported the Corps our kids were in any way I could - cooking at camps, sewing flags, etc.

Guardmom13

I admit I don't do much. I'm not proud of that.

I give money to my corps! B)

I march :)