Rest stops

While reading the thread about the whiteboard, I was reminded of a few great reststop stories. I know everyone has one, so I'll start.

On tour in '82 , we had been on the bus between Columbus and Pittsburgh for 8 hours or so and while crossing PA or Ohio we finally pull into a reststop. the toilets in the back had been shut down and locked since early in the tour, so as you can imagine everyone piled off the bus and headed for the bathrooms - only there weren't any! Who ever heard of a roadside rest stop without bathrooms! So naturally all the guys lined up at the chain link fence at the edge of the reststop property and let it fly, while the girls climbed the fence and headed for the treeline. Never saw anything like it!

My appologies if this thread already exists.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a truck stop story but I figure that's ok. Pretty similar.

You know those big iron/cement posts that are in certain areas so you don't drive through walls or into gas pumps?

Yeah... one of those got stuck in between the bus tire and the metal bus frame. Not sure how the driver managed that one. Let's just say the frame got a little mangled trying to get out of that truck stop...

Another one, similar to Bob J's...

Busses pull over, no rest stop. Just miles of Indiana (or was it Ohio?) corn fields.

Yeah... many guys watered that corn... kinda gross... just make sure you wash your veges after you buy them from the store! You never know what corps has visited them. hehe

My favorite memory, and I have absolutely no clue where we were, but in 05 we wern't allowed to purchase anything at gas stations because it really takes a lot of time up waiting for people to buy things.

Well, it turned out our housing site wouldn't be ready a few hours (still not sure why) and we were about an hour away, so the bus pulled into a gas station somewhere and the staff got on and said "alright, we are letting you buy things here." Oh man, five minutes later this place was cleaned out! Every bottle of gatorade, every candy bar, every bag of chips and beef jerky. They didn't want the line going outside since we all had stuff in our hands so it literalyl snaked through this entire place, which of course made us buy even more stuff waiting in the aisles. No one slept that night, we all just pigged out on our wealth of purchases, and that place looked like a hurricane swept through it!

For me it was simple........1977...the night before DCI East...........we were traveling from a show in Va. Beach, which we managed to win, to our housing sight in the Allentown/Bethlehem area.........around 2-3 AM, we stopped at a rest stop to gas up....most of the corps was asleep, but some of us went briefly inside. I did, but I didn't see.... The person who marched next to me sat down at the counter to get a cup of coffee....he put his head down and went to sleep....nobody saw him, and WE LEFT!!!! The next morning, we went to rehearse.....I went to the director, said his name, and then proclaimed "He's not here" !!! We showed up for prelims at the stadium, and there he was, sitting up against the fence....he had managed to get rides and make it there.....when I saw him, I laughed and simply said, "'ya better play good today"....which he did..........

GB

The only good rest stop story I have was even before my time in marching band in high school. A then sophomore left his favorite sweatshirt at a rest stop bench in Jersey going from Massachusetts to Virginia. After the few days in Virginia competing they stopped at the same rest stop and lo and behold, his sweatshirt was sitting there untouched. He didn't even remember he had left it there!

Need I say more than the Salt Flats?

After finals in 1985 we stopped at this "rest stop" somewhere in norther Illinois, likely way north. This had to be one of the most pathetic rest stops in the country. What I am recalling now is two outhouses, although my memory could be faulty. Perhaps there were up to four units, definitely temporary structures though.

There may have been 100 of us, but probably closer to 80. But we did the only respectable thing we could. We let the ladies used that structures, and those of us guys who did needed to pee did so discretely behind the structures.

This probably would have gone OK except for rest stop deficiency #2, lack of seclusion. I would probably categorize this lack of seclusion as severe. There was no wall around this area, and not even a fence. These structures were just plucked there in the middle of a field. And across the highway, a single family residence. A very isolated home as I recall. It probably had no more buisness there than the rest stop.

So, little kid see young men peeing accross the road, and mommy is not happy. Mommy calls the local constapls and probably gives them quite an earful. Local law enforcement is responsive to this sort of thing, extremely response. They arrive on the scene not only before we'd pulled out, but possibly before we'd finished draining ourselves. Just like all those responses to noise complaints, the cops left without arresting or siting anyone. No harm no foul, I guess.

(The rest stop part is coming, just gotta give a little background first.)

In '06 BDB, we flew out to Chicago International instead of taking buses. The horn plane landed on time but the drum plane got stuck in bad weather and was diverted all over the place. Finally after we'd been waiting in the baggage claim of O'Hare for 11 hours, the drum plane arrived. Since we were outside of security, the only food stand was a little Starbucks cart and everyone was starving, but we had to drive to Dayton so we piled on the buses and took off.

About 3 in the morning we hit a rest stop, in the middle of the wicked cool lightning storm. The rain let up just long enough for everyone to run inside (who hadn't eaten in about 15 hours) and buy tons and tons of food. The workers seemed quite surprised to see 100+ teenagers show up in the middle of a lightning storm at 3 in the morning, but were quite welcome to serve us given the quantity of food we were purchasing.

Just as we were making it out to the buses the downpour resumed and we didn't roll in to Dayton until about 8am the next morning.

I forget where this was, but we had this rest stop early in the season... it was in the middle of a 10 or so hour bus ride. We pull in around 3am, not having eaten since before the show, and are told it's a no buy stop (takes too long). Apparently, though for some reason we also had to get off the buses while they were getting fueled (I don't know why) so the entirety of the corps got off and stood around inside the gas station for half an hour looking at food that we couldn't buy.

We pulled in to our housing site around 6 am or so, got a couple of hours of floor time, had oatmeal for breakfast and had a full rehearsal day. Gotta love drum corps.

Edited by TSRTS13