Bluecoats Brass this year

My impression is its all about performance order. Someone made the point earlier about how reluctant judges are to give a 19.8 with 6 corps left to perform. I would be, wouldn't you? What if all 6 corps play the show of a lifetime and are better than the corps you just gave a 19.8 to? At the same time, that is not an excuse for putting the last couple corps to perform under a corps that went on earlier in the evening. If Albert Lo really felt coats were the top line of the evening then he should have been able to comfortably put BD, Cadets and PR 19.4 and under, but then you run into the problem of Crown and SCV already having a 19.2 and 19.4 respectively. It's quite a conundrum and I'm glad I don't have to deal with it.

Here's a question: What is the lowest overall placement of a corps that won a caption award?

From my limited knowledge/memory I have a hard time coming up with one that placed lower than third, let alone lower than sixth.

Lastly, I do not think Albert Lo is a good judge, even prior to this season.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression is its all about performance order. Someone made the point earlier about how reluctant judges are to give a 19.8 with 6 corps left to perform. I would be, wouldn't you? What if all 6 corps play the show of a lifetime and are better than the corps you just gave a 19.8 to? At the same time, that is not an excuse for putting the last couple corps to perform under a corps that went on earlier in the evening. If Albert Lo really felt coats were the top line of the evening then he should have been able to comfortably put BD, Cadets and PR 19.4 and under, but then you run into the problem of Crown and SCV already having a 19.2 and 19.4 respectively. It's quite a conundrum and I'm glad I don't have to deal with it.

Here's a question: What is the lowest overall placement of a corps that won a caption award?

From my limited knowledge/memory I have a hard time coming up with one that placed lower than third, let alone lower than sixth.

Lastly, I do not think Albert Lo is a good judge, even prior to this season.

* 1977 DCI Prelims - Oakland Crusaders 1st place percussion, 14th place corps

* 1990 Phantom Regiment won visual with a 5th place corps

* 1991 Blue Devils won brass with a 4th place finish

* 1993 Blue Devils won brass with a 4th place finish

List probably goes on (check www.fromthepressbox.com)

I don't 100% buy into the "a non-Top 3 corps can win a caption" argument when this year:

* Crown placed second in color guard with a 6th place finish

* Bluecoats placed second in percussion with a 7th place finish

I'm not going to argue about whether a judge is good or bad, as that can be argued either way. And yes, a lower-seeded corps has their work cut out for them to win a caption. But it's not impossible.

You know what happened? Judges love to put BD on top of brass for whatever reason. BD"S hornline was sitting in 4th all year and then their in 1st. YEah ok NOT!!! Blue Coats got hosed. They had a great pure sound to them and you can tell alot of talen, much like we had in 01 at cadets, but guess what we were 3rd in brass finals night and basically winning in horns the whole season.

Until people realize that as GOod as BD is Judges give them the benefit of the doubt over other corps when it comes to horns for what they did in the 90's. Always will be like that too.

Sorry blue Coats. thought you guys did have a top 3 hornline. I thought Cadets should have won Brass based on how hard their techiniality and you guys should have been 2nd for your sound with Crown in 3rd for theirs. Pick a spot for everyone else. BD was no better than a 4th place hornline this year and everyone knew it and Corps got screwed because of it.

You know what happened? Judges love to put BD on top of brass for whatever reason. BD"S hornline was sitting in 4th all year and then their in 1st. YEah ok NOT!!! Blue Coats got hosed. They had a great pure sound to them and you can tell alot of talen, much like we had in 01 at cadets, but guess what we were 3rd in brass finals night and basically winning in horns the whole season.

Until people realize that as GOod as BD is Judges give them the benefit of the doubt over other corps when it comes to horns for what they did in the 90's. Always will be like that too.

Sorry blue Coats. thought you guys did have a top 3 hornline. I thought Cadets should have won Brass based on how hard their techiniality and you guys should have been 2nd for your sound with Crown in 3rd for theirs. Pick a spot for everyone else. BD was no better than a 4th place hornline this year and everyone knew it and Corps got screwed because of it.

LOL. So bitter about 2001 BD and their earned and deserved brass title...let it go !! Yes, Judges do like to BD on top in brass, have been doing it over twenty times in thirty five years, What were they smoking ??

I bet if they got a better staff they could get better , quality lines and "earn" those numbers, right ??

I love your "BD was a 4th place hornline, and everyone knew it" jargin, but that bird flew...oh, I se a Cadet alum thinking Cadets should have won brass, blasphemy !

~G~

.....Yes, your credibility grows with your every post.......

Coats had an amazing line this year..Beautiful balanced sound throughout the show...I wasn't shocked seeing them not win brass, but I was shocked to see them finish 4th with BD taking it..The lowest I could see them was 3rd VERY close behind The Cadets and Phantom...I really thought this was the weakest BD line I had heard in years. They finished 5th at a regional and I figured they would end up finsihing 4th or 5th at finals also but no higher. The semis spread was a little rough also..BD beat Coats by a half a point in brass?? I really thought it was a misprint when I saw it at first..I'm not bashing any judge because I wasn't on the field so he could of heard stuff which I couldn't hear..But I could hear how sloppy BD's trumpets were at the end of the brass lick after the drum feature..Anyone could hear that..And you could also hear how clean and balanced the Coats licks were...The Coats brass book allowed for more exposed sections also, and they just nailed it every time I heard them. Oh well, just my take..Regardless, I know which show I will be listening to the most for years to come..

Like most others, I loved the Coats' brass. I was surprised to see Phantom finish ahead of them, but the Cadets caught up to the Coats awhile before finals week, and BD's brass really peaked at the right moment. I care about music more than anything, and the top 4 brass shows (along with BK) are going to be getting the most listening time, I think. I only hope hornlines are as good next year, overall.

To answer the question...

Bluecoats Brass

What happened finals week?

They played Thursday, Friday and Saturday night.

They finished ahead of 18 other Div. I corps.

They were a VERY good hornline. VERY good. I would venture to say one of the finest hornlines of the year. And one of the finest Bluecoats hornlines ever.

That's what happened finals week.