Nice'n'Cool outdoors in SCRANTON tonight

... Reading, Grand Prix (Clifton), Saratoga Springs, Schenectady, ALTOONA!!!!, Hershey, Carlisle, Hempstead, Amherst ...

C'mon ... fill in the blanks ... :-)

Andy "I was at the first Mt. Carmel show" Lisko

"Fillin' In the Banks":

The "Steel City Spectacle of Music" at Pittsburgh PA, the Drum Corps News "World Open Senior's" in 1963 & 64 and the DCN "World Open" at Bridgeport's JFK in 1971, the old "Senior Show" at the end of the season at Pittsfield MA, exibitions at junior shows such as the Union City (Freebie) "Safe & Sane" Fourth of July show, and the season's closer at that very same "Little Roosevelt Stadium" in September.

The "Instant replay" Barnum shows that resulted from 'Parade of Champion" rainouts, the early season standstills at Newark NJ, Pittsfield MA, New Haven CT and Boston MA. The incredible reception that the Rochester Crusaders & Hawthorne Caballeros recieved from a "Senior Corps Starved" crowd at Racine WI in 1972.

And the "Jewel in the Crown" of Concerts: "An Evening with the Corps at Carnagie Hall"!!! Imagine: Being "16 years old, the lights come up, and YOU are on "Center Stage" at Carnagie Hall".

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applaud the original poster for saying how he "feels". Good work.

I think one could make the argument that corps of yester year may have been more solid earlier for another reason.......generally speaking they played the same book year after year.......I don't think people like alumni corps just because they play recognizable music either....I think its recognizable because the fans heard it so often back in the day. But then again, I am not one of these people that can hear what the Blue Knights are doing for an opener and can say...oh yeah..I love that piece......from such and such an opera....SCV played that for concert in 82. I just don't listen to that much music anymore. However, generally speaking, if I can't tap my foot to it, I am bored by it.

As for themed shows......I agree.....I think they are generally cheesy and of course, due to time constraints, they are rushed. But again, maybe I am just not versed enough in too many facets of a whole lot of things to understand.

I like Our Favorite Things, not This I Believe.......that sums it up for me.

One thing DCA still has right that DCI doesn't..........Street Beats and playing off the field after retreat.

Edited by ech2os

no surprises tonight according to DCA.org:

Bucs 92.588

Cabs 90.925

Bush 89.05

Hurcs 86.026

What did you expect, it's their anniversary year

and the rest of the Corps suck

My corps didn't even compete in Scranton this weekend, but having seen all the corps this year. I beg to differ that any of the corps out that field suck! We all bust our butts for a common goal to entertain! I think you need to think about that statement!

Hello ! It's Me The Mental Patient Again !

I'm sorry you mis-understood my use of the word "SUCK"

I'm sorry if I brused your twenty-first century ego, and by the

way, I know enough about the politics of our sport, to know

that the DCA that I knew and loved, and performed in for

many, many years may not survive for my grandchildren.

Mis-understand the use of the word "suck?"

I can't possibly comprehend anyone misunderstanding something as clear as "...and the rest of the corps suck."

Bruised your twenty-first century ego? If you really have been around long enough to understand the politics, realize that there are many others who have been around for just as long.

DCA won't survive for your grandchildren? thanks. that helps make us newer people feel good doing this activity.

Great. A good day down the ####### drain. Thank you for having such extraordinary faith in DCA.

Edited by Euphomism

Caballeros - Much improved from my last viewing, which was a while ago. I think the brass begins and ends this show with much gusto but loses some steam in the middle. Color guard is fantastic and deserving of their caption win tonight. Percussion to me was on fire, and could have topped Reading tonight. Didn't see recaps, but I gather it was close. Mellophone soloist is to die for, beautiful sounds. Thought score was right on, top three finish on the horizon.

Thank you for the incredibly kind review of the Caballeros. And thank you for the equally kind words about me.

What? No kiss from Ruocco and Brad????? I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige.

:grouphug::lol: :spit: :sos:

Fran

no surprises tonight according to DCA.org:

Bucs 92.588

Cabs 90.925

Bush 89.05

Hurcs 86.026

What did you expect, it's their anniversary year

and the rest of the Corps suck

My corps didn't even compete in Scranton this weekend, but having seen all the corps this year. I beg to differ that any of the corps out that field suck! We all bust our butts for a common goal to entertain! I think you need to think about that statement!

well then i guess next year statesmen will win since its there 25th anniversary :P

lets just skip the 2008 season for that matter hehehe B)

but no i love all shows this year... cabs guard is hotttttttttttttt!!!!

Edited by cmguard87

What stadium was the Scranton show held at? And how was it?

It was held at the old site, Memorial Stadium. Great field but the crowd was small. I can rememeber when the concert side for this show would be packed.

Another aside to this, the mechanics in the Scranton area are great. I'm heading home and where 380 and 84 merge on the southbound side the alternater, which was fixed 3 weeks ago, failed. so I'm stuck on an island in between 2 highways with cars going by at 80 miles an hour at 11:00 PM. One 80 mile tow ride later I'm going to kill my mechanic....lol.