Nice'n'Cool outdoors in SCRANTON tonight

It was held at the old site, Memorial Stadium. Great field but the crowd was small. I can rememeber when the concert side for this show would be packed.

Another aside to this, the mechanics in the Scranton area are great. I'm heading home and where 380 and 84 merge on the southbound side the alternater, which was fixed 3 weeks ago, failed. so I'm stuck on an island in between 2 highways with cars going by at 80 miles an hour at 11:00 PM. One 80 mile tow ride later I'm going to kill my mechanic....lol.

I read this alot this year. Why are crowds small?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this alot this year. Why are crowds small?

Well, the previous replies allude to the Buc's being the only quality drum corps in attendance.

Might be the reason for less than stellar attendance.

However, I doubt that is the real issue. Lack of interest probably has more to do with the small crowds.

More DCA shows with smaller slates probably is reducing the fans at each show.

Well, the previous replies allude to the Buc's being the only quality drum corps in attendance.

However, I doubt that is the real issue. Lack of interest probably has more to do with the small crowds.

Attendence issues at shows like this; with top-shelf, outstanding corps and in the middle of drum corps/band regions doesn't bode well.

We really need to address the issue of bringing more fans to the activity.

Were there exhibitions at the show?

Did adding all the mini-corps and alumni corps exhibitions to Clifton help attendence? Seems that that was a HUGE show, from the standpoint of number, variety and quality of performance groups.

Edited by brassomaniac

Attendence issues at shows like this; with top-shelf, outstanding corps and in the middle of drum corps/band regions doesn't bode well.

Did adding all the mini-corps and alumni corps exhibitions to Clifton help attendence? Seems that that was a HUGE show, from the standpoint of number, variety and qualty of performance groups.

No exhibitions and no alumni. Sky was supposed to appear and pulled out. I agree the small crowds are starting to bother me. This used to be a big show. Half the seats on the 50 were empty Saturday night. Maybe everyone just misses Fran!!!! and his shirts.

Did adding all the mini-corps and alumni corps exhibitions to Clifton help attendence? Seems that that was a HUGE show, from the standpoint of number, variety and quality of performance groups.

Had I thought it through, I wouldn't have gone. 5 hour round trip, $65 in gas and tolls, $40 for two of us to get in - for what turned out to be 4 corps, albeit GREAT ones, and a show that lasted approximately one hour. For me, two more competing corps would have sweetened it. Exhibitions...not so much - but that's just me. Don't get me wrong - the exhibitions are fun, but my decision to attend or not attend is not based on them except maybe the first time I see them each season. In August, I want to see who's in the hunt!!!

I'm guessing it has alot more to do with Gas prices then anything else. As for there only being one quality drum corps out there... I do believe that having several corps scoring in the 90's puts that notion to rest. As for interest... I'm not sure its so much of a lack of interest as it is a lack of advertising.

Edited by Patrick_D

I understand that the Scranton show was not as well-publicized in the local media as it has been in the past. That could be one reason for the smaller-than-usual attendance.

Fran

I understand that the Scranton show was not as well-publicized in the local media as it has been in the past. That could be one reason for the smaller-than-usual attendance.

Fran

Last year the stands were about 85% full for the Scranton show, even though it was drizzling until shortly before the competition began, which may have kept the show from selling out.

Hopefully better advertising and a bigger field (of corps) will help sell more tickets in 2008.

:ph34r:

I don't know. The only show I went to (Rochester July 7) was jam packed.

Maybe the low attendance in some other areas can be attributed to the fact that drum corps is a copy cat activity, and right now everyone wants to be like the Bucs and play a boring show that's too hard for them. They must figure that's what will get the score.

Then the Cabs Alumni or the Bridgemen come out and get 5 standing O's.

It's OK Andy, Hawthorne still has their title from their 50th Anniversary year to celebrate in 1996.

Oh wait....... Erase that too..... Never mind........

"Yeah I marched Cabs for our 50th and we won......oh wait, no we didn't.

I also marched for our 60th and we won again....oh wait, no we didn't.

I won with the Cabs 57th Aniversary Year. What an aninversary.

-- Sean M. Glennon"

And then of course, don't forget there was our big 25th Anniversary win in 1971 where we got a gift of our second title in a row . . . Oh, no, wait -- we were third that year!

But surely DCA must have favored us with a win in 1966 for our 20th anniversary . . . oops! Fourth place at finals!

But enough sarcasm. I guess we've pretty much killed the 'anniversary' thing off by now.

If the Bucs win, it's because they will be the best corps at finals. Period. They have a great corps again this year.

Cabs, Empire and Bush are all very good and working hard to catch them. They will all give them a run for the title, only making them (and each other) work harder for it. Good luck to all in Rochester.

Unquestionably I have a sentimental favorite, and I'd love to see the Cabs catch the Bucs for the title. Remember how 'unstoppable' the Brigs were a few years back?

Jim Costello always told us: Nothing is impossible. Improbable? Perhaps. Impossible? Never.

Good Luck, Cabs. Give it your best shot.