Nice'n'Cool outdoors in SCRANTON tonight

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the 70's we did 20 - 25 shows between

memorial day and labor day.

Are you old enough to remember Mount Carmel ?

Hamden ? Stratford, etc...etc...etc...

As yes, I remember it well . . .

Mt. Carmel Mounties' "Festival of Stars." All exhibitions the week before the first contest. Often the Marine Corps or the Old Guard would be special guests along with the senior corps there.

Longbrook Park, Stratford, Connecticut -- 1966 my first contest ever with the Cabs. Then, Hamden Connecticut, Hurricanes' 'Fresh Air Fanfare.'

Then there were contests in Syracuse, Toronto, Boston (Mission Drums), The Barnum Festival, Reading's "Big Sounds in Motion," Rome, Rochester (in June), Lewisburg, Scranton, Baltimore, Waverly, The Dream, plus the Nationals and States -- all in one season, and then the DCA Championship at the END of September. In those days the old Northeast Circuit had their Championship on Labor Day Weekend. -- And, there's a good chance I may have forgotten a few!

As yes, I remember it well . . .

Mt. Carmel Mounties' "Festival of Stars." All exhibitions the week before the first contest. Often the Marine Corps or the Old Guard would be special guests along with the senior corps there.

Longbrook Park, Stratford, Connecticut -- 1966 my first contest ever with the Cabs. Then, Hamden Connecticut, Hurricanes' 'Fresh Air Fanfare.'

Then there were contests in Syracuse, Toronto, Boston (Mission Drums), The Barnum Festival, Reading's "Big Sounds in Motion," Rome, Rochester (in June), Lewisburg, Scranton, Baltimore, Waverly, The Dream, plus the Nationals and States -- all in one season, and then the DCA Championship at the END of September. In those days the old Northeast Circuit had their Championship on Labor Day Weekend. -- And, there's a good chance I may have forgotten a few!

... Reading, Grand Prix (Clifton), Saratoga Springs, Schenectady, ALTOONA!!!!, Hershey, Carlisle, Hempstead, Amherst ...

C'mon ... fill in the blanks ... :-)

Andy "I was at the first Mt. Carmel show" Lisko

:wub:

So were there any caption awards in Reading?

Cabs won guard, Bucs took all theother majors.

Rather than gripe about the old days, I'll make a brief review of the show. Didn't decide until about 5:30 yesterday that I'd be going. That's the nice thing about living 20 minutes from a show site. On to the show.....

Hurricanes - Nice opening to the show. On The Waterfront opening build is nice. This must be the year of the big color guards and Hurcs guard offers plenty. Only problem with Hurcs being so big this year was some noticeable timing problems in big spread out formations. Dave Dion is a treat to watch as drum major, still selling the show as they troop the stands. Thought the score was about right, should be a lock for Finals.

Bushwackers - Honestly thought this corps struggled a bit but it was my first read, so maybe I just didn't catch everything I could have. Thought the horn line and guard did a fine job, but the percussion to me struggled throughout. I've been reading that on other reviews so I tried to be open-minded, but my friend sitting next to me seemed to have the same assessment. Regardless, maybe they've bitten off a little more than they could chew this year overall, but they also love to prove people wrong who say that, so the last two weeks should be interesting. Still a lock for Finals and possible Top 5 finish.

Reading Buccaneers - What a show. No major issues to speak of with a few minor musical issues that don't seem to last more than beat or two at the most. I must say, I thought their 2005 show was amazing, but I find myself enjoying this show even more. Some moments can bring tears to the eyes they are so powerful. Color guard does a nice job after their early season troubles. Can't wait to see it again, thought their score would be higher. Three-peat could happen depending on Empire's late season heroics.

Caballeros - Much improved from my last viewing, which was a while ago. I think the brass begins and ends this show with much gusto but loses some steam in the middle. Color guard is fantastic and deserving of their caption win tonight. Percussion to me was on fire, and could have topped Reading tonight. Didn't see recaps, but I gather it was close. Mellophone soloist is to die for, beautiful sounds. Thought score was right on, top three finish on the horizon.

Quick show, questioned a charge of $20 for center section seating. I bought a $12 ticket and sat there anyway, but don't tell anyone :wub: I can't wait for Prelims after looking at all of the other scores from last night.

no surprises tonight according to DCA.org:

Bucs 92.588

Cabs 90.925

Bush 89.05

Hurcs 86.026

What did you expect, it's their anniversary year

and the rest of the Corps suck

<**> Wow - just wow

no surprises tonight according to DCA.org:

Bucs 92.588

Cabs 90.925

Bush 89.05

Hurcs 86.026

What did you expect, it's their anniversary year

You're kidding me with that "anniversary year" comment, aren't you?

Oh.... that's right. I forgot about that DCA rule that automatically gives the championship to a corps celebrating a major anniversary. So it's not like the Bucs have actually worked hard and put together a great program. :wub:

Troll.

Fran

Any one of the top 6 DCA corps of today would laugh at any of the champions from the 70's on the field of competition.

It would be embarrasing and painful to watch.

I believe the gentlemen was comparing todays DCA relative to today's standard. From my observation, other than Bucs, the rest of the pack are experiencing somewhat down cycles. However, these corps most definitely do not "suck". They are actually rather entertaining. That being said, there is a noticeable gap between the Bucs and the rest of the field. Can the Bucs be beaten??....it wil take keeping all captions close and opening a spread in one sub-caption.....guard perhaps??????????