Rochester 2007

Last year we had a thread that the local residents of Rochester responded with some great places to eat and see...

Also, they answered a lot a questions about the city it self.....

Lets do it again...

Thanks for Rocky's..... that was a hit ... too bad they didn't open on Saturday, (I think the police told them all the streets would be block.....)

Pete

Edited by joefanalum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year we had a thread that the local residents of Rochester responded with some great places to eat and see...

Lets do it again...

Thanks for Rocky's..... that was a hit ... to bad they didn't open on Saturday, (I think the police told them all the streets would be block.....)

Pete

Rocky's is open till 1-2 pm on saturdays......they only serve lunch but do business on friday nights for dinner.......where are u staying? can give u some hotspots in the area! Got kids with U? Strong Museum of Play is very nice for the young at heart too!

Lets do it again...

Thanks for Rocky's..... that was a hit ... to bad they didn't open on Saturday, (I think the police told them all the streets would be block.....)

Pete

Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que on Ridge Road right off I-390,...................I'll be there............ hopefully twice,..........

Rocky's is open till 1-2 pm on saturdays......they only serve lunch but do business on friday nights for dinner.......where are u staying? can give u some hotspots in the area! Got kids with U? Strong Museum of Play is very nice for the young at heart too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got kids... but they never got into DC so I solo it for last 17 years...............

Where am I staying is a good question...

I have rooms book at both The Crowne Plaza and The Clarion ....

Alan of the Cabs did not have too many good words for The Clarion (another thread)

Last year I stayed at the Plaza and parking was an issue but not a bad as 96 when they ran out of space

Pete

There is 2 " Nick Tahou's" ........original one called Nick Tahous..... downtown at the intersection of West main st and Broad St which is only minutes from the stadium heading south on Broad (runs North-South along stadium entrance) Its open during the day and closes at 10 pm. The second one is called "Stevie T's" located on Lyell Ave (rt 31) near the 390 interstate. Their was some sort of riff in the family causing the name change. Steve last name is tahou but can't use the name on the restaurant but thats the only change for the greasy garbage plate loaded with all things bad for you but taste so good!LOL! :)

Famous Daves Barbque is a good place for a chain and gives dinosaur BBQ a run for the money but Sticky Lips on the corner of University Ave and Atlantic Ave on the east side of the city is still a Fav of mine. Authentic Ribs and sides that mimic true southern BBQ joints! :beer:

The kid thing I was mentioning would include the Strong Museum, Rochester Museum and science center that includes a nice planatarium, the Eastman House museum that is incredible collection and home of Kodak founder George Eastman and other places of interest including High Falls, only a few blocks from Paetec. For shopping: Marketplace Mall in Henrietta is nice and so is the Mall at Greece-Ridge on Ridge rd (US 104) on the west side suburbs and if you want to take a 13 mile trip out of center city on 490 east, you can go out to the premier shopping experience at Eastview mall in Victor. It features some stores and restaurant chains not located anywheres else in monroe county.

Any other inquiries I will be happy to help you out to make the experience of Drum Corps and geographic area things for the family vacation experience to be maxed out to your liking! :ph34r:

I'm no longer local as I moved to the left coast in the 60's but when I lived

in Batavia ( and marched St. Joe's ) I made regular trips to Pontillo's Pizzeria.

Since those days in the 50's they have expanded and have family run

Pontillo's al around Western new York.

Here's a link that contains the addresses of a couple of Pontillo's in the

Rochester area.

http://www.pontillospizza.com/

They make a great pie. I've not found any to match theirs in all my

travels around the planet over the decades since I left Batavia.

I'll be making a visit to the one in Henrietta during DCA weekend as

I'm staying at the Microtel Inn there.

Question for someone that's still local....

Does anyone know where to get a good beef on weck in Rochester?

That's another thing I REALLY miss. Last year at finals I only managed

to have one at Paetec Park before the vendor ran out of "weck". :(

Paul

Edited by Gypsy Baron

I'm no longer local as I moved to the left coast in the 60's but when I lived

in Batavia ( and marched St. Joe's ) I made regular trips to Pontillo's Pizzeria.

Since those days in the 50's they have expanded and have family run

Pontillo's al around Western new York.

Here's a link that contains the addresses of a couple of Pontillo's in the

Rochester area.

http://www.pontillospizza.com/

They make a great pie. I've not found any to match theirs in all my

travels around the planet over the decades since I left Batavia.

I'll be making a visit to the one in Henrietta during DCA weekend as

I'm staying at the Microtel Inn there.

Question for someone that's still local....

Does anyone know where to get a good beef on weck in Rochester?

That's another thing I REALLY miss. Last year at finals I only managed

to have one at Paetec Park before the vendor ran out of "weck". :(

Paul

I believe what u had was a "red Osier" beef sandwich and it uses "Red Osier"'s prime rib beef that they supply from their restaurant in Leroy. The chain of submarine shops in rochester called "Dibellas" sells the same formulated sandwich at all their shops in the rochester area and their is one located in Henrietta in the Jefferson Plaza across from southtown plaza on Jefferson Rd.

Concerning Pontillo's Pizza.....They have the best pies in Batavia and always stop there when passing thru BUT ALL of their franchises which they don't own anymore have TERRIBLE pies that don't come close to tasting the same for some reason. I don't know if they have different supp;liers for their dough and sauce, but the different pontillos shops around town are just nasty. Strange!