Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

I mean, when did Billy Joel ever wear a green jacket or an aussie? Or since when do train conductors wear shakos and plumes?

Yes and since I started runnin' the trains!

But that's ridiculous in and of itself. Member dues are already high and will probably be skyrocketing with gas prices alone... let's not make this harder for everyone to do.

Uniforms are actually more expensive than well thought out costumes would be. A set of uniforms runs about $50,000 and you can get about 4 seasons out of them. Add $2,500 per year for replacements and upkeep, that $60,000.

That comes out to $15,000 a season or almost $145 per member (this is if you take the guard out of it).

You can create some pretty decent costumes for that price or even less. There would be no significant increase in cost if Intergalactic Bando Superhero Uniforms were replaced with something that actually made sense.

I don't mean guard uniforms, I mean corps uniforms. I mean, when did Billy Joel ever wear a green jacket or an aussie? Or since when do train conductors wear shakos and plumes?

You said it, not me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the guard should go. Everyone should wear tuxedos and sit in chairs. Wait........oh, sorry, its been done already, its called concert band. Why are people so intent on changing things?

I agree, futhermore, I think that the Cadets, Cavaliers, Vanguards, Knights, Crusaders, Scouts, Regiment, etc., or any other group that implies or references such antiquated, militaristic references should change their name immediately by DCI rule.t At least the Blue Devils are safe because there certainly isn't anything un-PC about referring to yourself as a Devil. The use of uniforms where a group of individuals are seen or act in a way that the individual not be recognized as themselves in that group be banished less their self-esteem be injured. I am sure that the rifles will be replaced by saxaphones, flutes and bassoons before any child actually injures themselves by emulating a drum corps anyway, so not to worry. :sshh:

So, I was watching the PBS broadcast and I noticed that a couple of groups used equipment other than rifles at some point in their show. Boston had some kind of equipment they used during La Fiesta and somebody used an almost-rifle which had the same general dimensions but, when you looked close enough, wasn't actually a rifle.

So, I was watching the PBS broadcast and I noticed that a couple of groups used equipment other than rifles at some point in their show. Boston had some kind of equipment they used during La Fiesta and somebody used an almost-rifle which had the same general dimensions but, when you looked close enough, wasn't actually a rifle.

Watch 1982 legacy DVD's.

Blue Devils, Vanguard, and Phantom used a lot of other equipment that year: chains, banners, icons, small hand flags, wings, streamers, etc.

In the mid 80's several corps didn't use rifles at all. Then in the late 80's every one not only brought back rifles but sabres were added (which had only been used by a few corps in limited ways previously).

Should we do away with opera and broadway musical theatre because normal people just don't break into song every few minutes in real life?

Opera, ballet, broadway musicals, drum corps, and other art froms are what they are. They all have aspects that don't make much sense when you analyze it but they work and remain popular to their respective fans and patrons.

....Should we do away with opera and broadway musical theatre because normal people just don't break into song every few minutes in real life?

Opera, ballet, broadway musicals, drum corps, and other art froms are what they are. They all have aspects that don't make much sense when you analyze it but they work and remain popular to their respective fans and patrons.

:sleeping:

Dang - I wish I'd said this.

Imagine - inserting logic and facts into a DCP thread...

The verdict is final, folks...the rifles stay.

• 5 years later...

Given the recent discussion of guns in the media, is it time to maybe reconsider this idea?

Again, I am not talking about banning rifles or sabres. I am simply talking about innovating to develop new and practical forms of standard equipment as an alternative to guns and swords.

It also isn't really about political correctness, but more about programatic relevance.

Color guard has shifted so far from the military roots where guns and swords literally protected the flag, far enough that anyone without context of the full history of this evolution is left completely puzzled and confused as to why these elements are force fit into such a broad range of programs.