Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

DCP is pretty far from reality.

And in this regard, I think so are you.

Are you serious???? For one thing they use DUMMY rifles, a very far cry from the real thing. Their original purpose was to guard the Colors and even those weapons, when real actual pieces are used, are non-fireable and cannot be restored to firing capability.

Methinks you are taking this PC stuff just a tad over the line. There is no evil message being conveyed with the use of rifles in color guards or whatever they are called today.

JMHO. Geez, what the he-- is left? Why don't we also eliminate drums and horns too. Your concern seems to be about the use of WEAPONS on the field. EVERY piece of equipment in use can be used as a weapon, of sorts. I have seen horns, flag poles, drum sticks and even cummerbund buckles being swung at some folks with the intent of doing damage; not to mention some of the "extra" stuff carried inside uniforms and buses by a LOT of corps BITD. But we're a kinder and gentler folk today, aren't we?

Sorry for the rant, folks, but I think PC is crap. Again, just my humble opinion.

• Like 4

But many (most) high school programs still program rifles as well as other assorted throwing equipment.

If drum corps wants to go "mainstream", isn't this going against that well-established norm?

My local HS throws rifles, sabres, and flags. So programming relevence would dictate that we keep rifles in DCI for that reason as well as for tradition.

• Like 3

Again, context. What did guns and swords have to do PROGRAMMATICALLY with anything last season?

It is a quirky relic.

Again, I'm not buying it. The rifles ("guns" as you like to call it apparently) are hard to spin and toss and catch in unison and the drum corps crowd understands this and is entertained and awed and impressed by a guard that does it. PROGRAMMATICALLY that fits PERFECTLY with all the other forms of excellence on display. You are pushing an agenda here, and trying to wrap it up in something else.

• Like 2

I'm not sure that I have ever thought of rifles in drum corps as militaristic, and as some have mentioned, since there are probably more dance moves than use of rifles, I'm not sure there would be any confusion regarding the use of rifles. Personally I'd hate to see them go. From time to time we see a bit of a resurgence of traditional guard moves, something I can never get enough of, so I'd hate to see them be a relic of the past.

• Like 1

But many (most) high school programs still program rifles as well as other assorted throwing equipment.

If drum corps wants to go "mainstream", isn't this going against that well-established norm?

My local HS throws rifles, sabres, and flags. So programming relevence would dictate that we keep rifles in DCI for that reason as well as for tradition.

Not only that, you would think if there was any legit public disconnect about the use of rifle-looking equipment it would be from the local community against the small local marching bands. While that might happen from time to time, it does not seem to be a wide-spread issue. At all.

Again, context. What did guns and swords have to do PROGRAMMATICALLY with anything last season?

It is a quirky relic.

I'm a quirky relic, but I'm still kept around because I make other people look good in comparison.

It's drum corps. What do tuned bass drums have to do with "Turandot," guard costumes have to do with "Fanfare for the Common Man," and trumpets have to do with the Satie piano work, "Gymnopodies"? All those things are simply part of what makes up drum corps. When I saw "Turandot," I didn't think, "Puccini didn't write for multiple bass drums Why do we have them here? How do they fit programmatically?"

I don't see drum corps rifles as imitation killing devices...I see them as something spinning that grew out of something that has been part of drum corps' heritage.

We've lost so much of our heritage already.

Having said that; I wouldn't miss rifles if they were replaced by something else that allows guard members to demonstrate the same remarkable skills they show off with rifles. I just prefer that such alternate equipment comes about because those developments would make artistic sense...not because drum corps feels a necessity to be reactive to whatever is perceived as being politically correct at the moment.

• Like 1

I just prefer that such alternate equipment comes about because those developments would make artistic sense...not because drum corps feels a necessity to be reactive to whatever is perceived as being politically correct at the moment.

Not having a rifle is decidedly not being " politically correct ", Michael, imo. Today, owning a weapon IS the norm now ( 53% of American households have a least one firearm, up from 36% 20 years ago ). Even the President likes rifles. Rifles are " in ". Why would an activity that is crying out for more popular appeal decide to abandon rifles that they have had as a component of Corps for over half a century ? Especially given its more increasing popularity among the public than at any time in over half a century ? Does this activity have a death wish ? If it doesn't, then the LAST thing this small niche activity should consider doing is to abandon the use of something that ALL the Presidents in US History (and more of the public) now enjoy from time to time.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/wh-releases-photo-obama-shooting-gun_699234.html

Edited by BRASSO

Why would an activity that is crying out for more popular appeal decide to abandon rifles that they have had as a component of Corps for over half a century ?

And lets be real honest/blunt here:

If were are going to have a serious conversation about how to appeal to more fans, and/or taking measures to ensure we don't turn off new fans from the activity, I think eliminating rifles on the off chance it might offend a few overly-sensitive (or to be fair, maybe just uninitiated) folks is pretty dang far on the list of "things we should change."