Drum Corps Family

Nobody before me but...

I Marched the San Jose Raiders in 1979 and 1980

then Blue Devils in 81, 82, & 83

then the Renegades in '06 & '07

I have always supported my kids playing whatever instrument they wanted to play!

Last year my 18 year old Steven marched Renegades with me and he will march Jr. Corps in '08

My son Robin 15 is the center snare in his high school band and is a drum corps nut so it will not be long.

My son Logan is 12 and he is a drummer also! We'll see if he decides to march someday!

After having to breed my own drum corps I think we are doing pretty well!

Edited by Big Bad Bari

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: comment that they couldn't take their son because he was under 16 for insurance reasons...

Sure sounds like "lip service" to me... I can't imagine... I have been Director, CFO and COO of every level of corps and negotiated insurance approaching 6 figures a year and while the "youth activity", travel and all were critical to the cost, I don't ever remember any financial advantage insurance wise to not allowing anyone under 16. (or any other

If a higher level corps wants to avoid the additional baby sitting that may become necessary with the younger performers, they certainly can set age limits... after all, it's a free country..

BUT I don't buy the insurance excuse... If someone of authority wants to enlighten me - I would welcome being corrected.

Re: comment that they couldn't take their son because he was under 16 for insurance reasons...

Sure sounds like "lip service" to me... I can't imagine... I have been Director, CFO and COO of every level of corps and negotiated insurance approaching 6 figures a year and while the "youth activity", travel and all were critical to the cost, I don't ever remember any financial advantage insurance wise to not allowing anyone under 16. (or any other

If a higher level corps wants to avoid the additional baby sitting that may become necessary with the younger performers, they certainly can set age limits... after all, it's a free country..

BUT I don't buy the insurance excuse... If someone of authority wants to enlighten me - I would welcome being corrected.

Sorry for taking this thread into another discussion. We were told that the insurance was through the Boy Scouts and that was their requirement. As he auditioned in the fall of 06 and was only 14 and his 15th birthday was mid-summer. He is a percussionist, I know little about how to determine talented percussionist...it all sounds the same to me even after all the years I have been involved in drum corps. We have been told our son is talented by numerous drum instructors. so we are sure he will be awarded a spot and we will be following his performances for many summers.

The intention of my initial comment was to say that our son has drum corps in his blood...you know it when you have it!

First, your son must be very talented. Second, 8 seasons with a touring DCI corps like the cadets is quite an accomplishment in my book. Finally, 8 x $?? = at least one year's college expense at a very fine University!

Yes, he is very talented! Thank you for recognizing that! And because of that, thankfully, he is on scholarship as a double music major going into his senior year with very little debt! I am one lucky Dad!

• 5 weeks later...
My older brothers Marty and Lenny marched in the Raiders of 88 junior corps from Highland Park, NJ. They also both marched with the Sunrisers. Lenny also marched with the Manville, NJ, Sacred Heart Crusaders junior corps.

My brother-in-law Wayne Poulsen marched with the Manville Crusaders, and the Hawthorne Caballeros. He's now a member of the Caballeros Alumni corps.

And of course.... my wife Barbara marched with the Westshoremen. And both of us are now members of the Westshoremen Alumni corps.

It's always interesting around the dinner table, when we get the "Caballeros vs. Sunrisers vs. Westshoremen" conversations going. :P

Fran

I just happened to find this site and noticed your entry. I was the drum instructor for the Raiders of 88 back in 1965-7. My Dad was the corps director. I marched with the Blessed Sacramant Golden Knights from late 1963 until 1966. I do not immediately recognize the names of your brothers. Were they in the horn line? I don't recognize them as from the drum line.

Regards,

Bob Love

Someone needs to ask the Mayer family from St. Peter, Minnesota and ask Mike, John & Molly the same question. The list would be pretty astronomical, this family has a very riched drum corps history!

Edited by contraphanatic

I just happened to find this site and noticed your entry. I was the drum instructor for the Raiders of 88 back in 1965-7. My Dad was the corps director. I marched with the Blessed Sacramant Golden Knights from late 1963 until 1966. I do not immediately recognize the names of your brothers. Were they in the horn line? I don't recognize them as from the drum line.

Regards,

Bob Love

Yep... they were both in the hornline. I joined the Raiders after the 1967 season, weeks before the corps folded. I remember your dad from those few rehearsals I attended!

Fran

Besides myself, my wife marched Brigs '03-'04, and the Mello-Dears in the early '70s. My grandfather was a US Marine bugler, circa 1917. And a great, great grandfather, J. Healy, managed the Ancient Order of Hibernians Drum Corps in Oswego, NY....circa 1896.

Nobody in my family knows/want to know about drum corps. They mostly don't understand it and don't care for it at all. It took a looooooong time before my mom and my sister realized it wasn't going to go away from my life, but when they did, they finally opened their mind to it and love it now.

The rest of them are still struggling with the fact that I prefer to drive 10 hours and spend a day under the sun getting my butt kicked instead of attending a family reunion or a wedding.

It happens. :)