Next Great American Band reality TV show?

It seems to me some of the cable channels will put almost anything on it's airwaves. Case in point, TRUTV has some of the dumbest shows ever to be seen on the small screen. One of their most popular shows is an absolutely childish program about three silly acting men pulling pranks on each other. I forget the name of the show. Most recently I see they are now featuring a program entitled "Kart Life." This is a show about teens and preteens wasting their time competing in go cart races. Surely a program about the behind scenes life of a major DCI competitor and life on the road during the summer months would generate more interest then some of these absurd programs currently cluttering the air waves?! Just my two cents on the subject.

Sigh.

This kind of elitist crap drives me nuts. Because it's not interesting to you, it's clearly not interesting to anyone else, amirite?

Kart racing teaches and cultivates good driving skills, and finds and funnels talented drivers into bigger and better cars and racing circuits. It's no more "wasting time" than participating in marching band and drum corps is, and motor racing is only a bazillion times more popular than drum corps will ever be.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

It seems to me some of the cable channels will put almost anything on it's airwaves. Case in point, TRUTV has some of the dumbest shows ever to be seen on the small screen. One of their most popular shows is an absolutely childish program about three silly acting men pulling pranks on each other. I forget the name of the show. Most recently I see they are now featuring a program entitled "Kart Life." This is a show about teens and preteens wasting their time competing in go cart races. Surely a program about the behind scenes life of a major DCI competitor and life on the road during the summer months would generate more interest then some of these absurd programs currently cluttering the air waves?! Just my two cents on the subject.

You do realize that most people outside our activity feel the same about what we do don't ya.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

You guys made the point I was going to. Karting is considered the premier training activity for most kinds of race driving, at least for smaller, more agile cars like formula racing. Top drivers continue karting to keep their skills fresh.

As to being a waste of money for kids, there's a point there. As with music education, the probability of eventual professional success is quite low. I'm sure more people make a living in music, and the aggregate money they earn is probably far greater than with motor racing. In both the top people make millions, but there are far more top people in music clearly. And racing is far more expensive to progress in. since in many series you have to basically buy a faster car than your competitor. "Anyone can afford to go racing. All it costs is all you have." And you better dominate each series to get noticed.

If this is what westcoastsoloist meant, he has a point. But karting doesn't have to get too expensive and does teach many good values and confidence, etc. All things in moderation.

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 1

On The Road With The Corpsdashians

• Like 3

Yes, that is me doing the Kanstul demo - and thanks for the kind words. :)

My friend torn8o was also a soprano soloist with Blue Devils in '93 & '95, and an all-around good dude.

Wouldn't count on it. Have you lived in America recently?

• Like 1