Phantom Show ideas for next year

I almosty forgot about this -- their is a piece for organ, brass and percussion by Marcel Dupre'

This could be a FANTASTIC piece for Regiment -- The finale' is great it's called "Poeme Heroique" .

Another theme would be ' Phantome' Mystique' and to possibly do some Hindemith, possibly some of "Symphonic Metamorphesis" , along with Racmonoff's chorale' from "Vespers" as the ballad, and the Dupre' piece as a faced paced, typical inyour face Regiment ending.

Anyone else herd this piece before ? Thoughts?

Gives me chills thinking about Regiments hornline/drumline doing the Dupre' piece -- I just got shivers up my back!

Oh my heavens................ ok, back to work!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regiment 2008

"Phantom on Phire"

Opener: Carmina Burana (open loud with the large choir feature at the beginning - even more aggressive than Faust opening)

Dance movement with lots of guard feature: Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies (really powering some of the accents on the downbeats - with some distorting of chords!)

Ballad: Nessun Dorma (trumpet soloist at the beginning)

Closer: Great Gate of Kiev from Pictures at an Exhibition (4 Concert Bass Drums!)

All female guard.

Pretty much a standard old school Phantom show!

Any thoughts?

Edited by PhantomPhanatic

Regiment 2008

"Phantom on Phire"

Opener: Carmina Burana (open loud with the large choir feature at the beginning - even more aggressive than Faust opening)

Dance movement with lots of guard feature: Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies (really powering some of the accents on the downbeats - with some distorting of chords!)

Ballad: Nessun Dorma (trumpet soloist at the beginning)

Closer: Great Gate of Kiev from Pictures at an Exhibition (4 Concert Bass Drums!)

All female guard.

Pretty much a standard old school Phantom show!

Any thoughts?

My inital thoughts...this show could end up having Regiment out of finals.

Why?

"Camina Burana" - Look back to "Pines of Rome"

"Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies" Probably your most interesting choice.

"Nessun Dorma: - Leave it for the encore where it belongs. Regiment's show was better in 06 because it was all new music for them and for us.

"Gate of Kiev" - Read my comments for Nessun Dorma.

You would bring up natural comparisons that would leave next year's corps at a disadvantage right out of the gate. It's the same thing that happened with "Pines of Rome."

"Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies" Probably your most interesting choice.

"Nessun Dorma: - Leave it for the encore where it belongs. Regiment's show was better in 06 because it was all new music for them and for us.

"Gate of Kiev" - Read my comments for Nessun Dorma.

You would bring up natural comparisons that would leave next year's corps at a disadvantage right out of the gate. It's the same thing that happened with "Pines of Rome."

Why is Pines of Rome bad? Star of Indiana won with it.

Am I looking back at Star of Indiana's Pines of Rome? :)

I was unaware that repeating music that has been done before was bad for placements. Gosh - SCV should have never done Phantom of the Opera two times.

Edited by PhantomPhanatic

This design team has to work on giving us NEW cool moments and NOT continuing to rehash the same old stuff. I know other corps do it too...but why not lead in the visual area?

They flew around like birds for a lot of the show. That was pretty innovative. :laugh:

And I'm talking about the kick and then tear your face off thing. Which never, ever, ever goes out of style. Not ever. Never, in fact.

Am I looking back at Star of Indiana's Pines of Rome? :)

I was unaware that repeating music that has been done before was bad for placements. Gosh - SCV should have never done Phantom of the Opera two times.

Yes...back in the day you could get away with repeating a show for a second year. When's the last time anyone did that?

Now...repeating music...I believe it evokes comparisons which are not usually beneficial to the current corps. Again, see the Pines of Rome. I know...you'd have to look it up on RAMD...but before the season it was all gushing and ooohs and ahhhs. Then everyone saw it. It was not well recieved.