Phantom Show ideas for next year

See Phanton Regiment 1998 I believe. 8th place.

And they got 8th place because they chose to play Pines of Rome...right...

Although I wouldn't like to see them try it again, or play Carmina Burana for that matter.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they got 8th place because they chose to play Pines of Rome...right...

Although I wouldn't like to see them try it again, or play Carmina Burana for that matter.

Get a VHS machine and look at Star doing Pines of Rome. Then watch Regiment's version in 1998. You'll see why my comments are valid.

Get a VHS machine and look at Star doing Pines of Rome. Then watch Regiment's version in 1998. You'll see why my comments are valid.

Regiment '98 was just a poorly designed show (in my opinion)...it had nothing to do with the fact that they chose to play Pines of Rome.

Regiment '98 was just a poorly designed show (in my opinion)...it had nothing to do with the fact that they chose to play Pines of Rome.

Agreed. I think JD Shaw, Paul Rennick, Jamey Thompson, Adam Sage, and company would design a much better show. If it was because of "Pines of Rome" itself than Star would have never won. Now you see why my comments are valid.

Now...repeating music...I believe it evokes comparisons which are not usually beneficial to the current corps.

I guess that when Phantom did American in Paris again in 2005 - that was not beneficial to them, as they got 3rd place in finals.

Edited by PhantomPhanatic

Agreed. I think JD Shaw, Paul Rennick, Jamey Thompson, Adam Sage, and company would design a much better show. If it was because of "Pines of Rome" itself than Star would have never won. Now you see why my comments are valid.

I guess that when Phantom did American in Paris again in 2005 - that was not beneficial to them, as they got 3rd place in finals.

Fine...pull comments out of context if you must. I was talking about SCV doing back to back repeats of Phantom of the Opera...but it's fine.

You know what...bring it on...Carmina Burana followed by Pines of Rome. Go ahead...bring it on....we'll see how it all ends up.

Edited by Tom Brace

Agreed.

That said, I don't think Phantom would make this choice again because of where they placed 10 years ago. I mean, we are talking about the 10th anniversary of a show that saw them place out of the top 6 and kept them out for a few years. I'm not suggesting that Respighi did it, or not living up to Star did it - but here's betting that Pines of Rome is full of too many bad memories for PR.

I also don't think that PR will be doing something that "easy" either. If you think about PR since and including 2002 (with 2005 being an obvious exception), they've mixed "standards" with "obscurity." I'd consider "standards" to be tune that any average classical fan would know, and "obscure" to be tunes that wouldn't be automatically recognizable. For instance, I'd put the Flower Duet and Firebird in the former category, with 1000 Airplanes on the Roof and Suggestion Diabolique in the latter category. That's why I think Carmina Burana and Pines of Rome would be too "easy" for this staff to put together.

That's why I think Carmina Burana and Pines of Rome would be too "easy" for this staff to put together.

Agreed. I enjoy the direction they've been taking lately with the newer (or rather, the more obscure) stuff. There is a lot of music out there still to be discovered/tackled by the drum and bugle corps activity. I would prefer that Regiment stay away from things they have done in the past.

Agreed. I enjoy the direction they've been taking lately with the newer (or rather, the more obscure) stuff. There is a lot of music out there still to be discovered/tackled by the drum and bugle corps activity. I would prefer that Regiment stay away from things they have done in the past.

And for this reason, I was really surprised they chose Firebird to close the show this year. I thought they did a great job with it, but I figured they would've found something to fit the mood that didn't necessarily have "bird" in the title.

Agreed.

That said, I don't think Phantom would make this choice again because of where they placed 10 years ago. I mean, we are talking about the 10th anniversary of a show that saw them place out of the top 6 and kept them out for a few years. I'm not suggesting that Respighi did it, or not living up to Star did it - but here's betting that Pines of Rome is full of too many bad memories for PR.

I also don't think that PR will be doing something that "easy" either. If you think about PR since and including 2002 (with 2005 being an obvious exception), they've mixed "standards" with "obscurity." I'd consider "standards" to be tune that any average classical fan would know, and "obscure" to be tunes that wouldn't be automatically recognizable. For instance, I'd put the Flower Duet and Firebird in the former category, with 1000 Airplanes on the Roof and Suggestion Diabolique in the latter category. That's why I think Carmina Burana and Pines of Rome would be too "easy" for this staff to put together.

I guess...and by the way...I was there in 1998...the comparisons with Star did plague the 1998 production. Especially when it got off so poorly in the beginning of the season. I remember they went to Ohio for the first couple of weeks. The Regiment has to be grateful for those members who lived during the "dark" days.

And for this reason, I was really surprised they chose Firebird to close the show this year. I thought they did a great job with it, but I figured they would've found something to fit the mood that didn't necessarily have "bird" in the title.

I know...I thought immediately when I heard it that it was a Dan pick. I have no way of knowing, but my guess was that it was a Dan pick.