This is the funniest joke ever.

FUNNIEST...JOKE...EVER!

*sits in the corner and cries*

Disco Inferno -- The Trammps

How Deep Is Your Love (ballad) -- Bee Gees

Macho Man/YMCA Medley -- Village People

Elsa's Procession to Studio 54 -- R. Wagner

SUTA!

and don't forget the "New World Symphony" disco version. Oh, they already played that. Yeah...horns down then.

Agreed.

That said, I don't think Phantom would make this choice again because of where they placed 10 years ago. I mean, we are talking about the 10th anniversary of a show that saw them place out of the top 6 and kept them out for a few years. I'm not suggesting that Respighi did it, or not living up to Star did it - but here's betting that Pines of Rome is full of too many bad memories for PR.

I also don't think that PR will be doing something that "easy" either. If you think about PR since and including 2002 (with 2005 being an obvious exception), they've mixed "standards" with "obscurity." I'd consider "standards" to be tune that any average classical fan would know, and "obscure" to be tunes that wouldn't be automatically recognizable. For instance, I'd put the Flower Duet and Firebird in the former category, with 1000 Airplanes on the Roof and Suggestion Diabolique in the latter category. That's why I think Carmina Burana and Pines of Rome would be too "easy" for this staff to put together.

Ok - so last 5 years:

2003 - Harmonic Journey (half obscure - and half "easy" or "recognizable") - 4th place

2004 - Piazola (pretty obscure for Phantom I'd say) - 5th place

2005 - Gershwin (Pretty "easy" according to you - 3rd place

2006 - Faust (nothing obscure with Faust - this was dark Phantom) - 2nd place

2007 - On Air (half obscure and half "easy" as you put it.) - 4th place

Yea - you are right - doing "easy" stuff would not be good for them. They only landed the Top 3 those 2 years.

Edited by PhantomPhanatic

Ok - so last 5 years:

2003 - Harmonic Journey (half obscure - and half "easy" or "recognizable") - 5th place

2004 - Piazola (pretty obscure for Phantom I'd say) - 4th place

Yea - you are right - doing "easy" stuff would not be good for them. They only landed the Top 3 those 2 years.

Your facts (from what is obscure, to placements) are wrong. Try again....

I floated this in another thread, but I still like it:

A Muse of Fire

Music for Shakespeare

Opener Much Ado About Nothing - P Doyle

Ballad - some version of Romeo & Juliet

drum feature - Battle of Agincourt - Doyle

Closer-something from one of Verdi's operas

4th and 5th were mixed up - now fixed - but my point is still valid.

Only if you assume that 2006 was all 'easy', which imo, it wasnt. Especially compared to what we ascertained fit into the genre in 03, 05, and 07.

Ok - so last 5 years:

2003 - Harmonic Journey (half obscure - and half "easy" or "recognizable") - 4th place

2004 - Piazola (pretty obscure for Phantom I'd say) - 5th place

Oh my. Hostile. I don't get it.

Well, I said that 2005 was an obvious exception in what would seem to me to be in their musical programming. Otherwise, they have a mixture of recognizable and less recongizable tunes. I also started with 2002, which saw a familiar Shosty 10th Symphony, his "familiar" 2nd Piano Concerto (familiar due to it just having been on Fantasia 2000, though I'd suggest the second movement is not so familiar), and the unfamiliar 7th Symphony. Going back further, one could include 93, 95, 96, 97, and 00.

I'm not suggesting that 2006 was obscure because of the Faust motif. I'm only talking about musical selections (which is what Carmina Burana and Pines of Rome are). I'd guess that not many were familiar with Biebl's Ave Maria or Corigliano's Piano Concerto, and possibly even Scythian Suite.

And I also said nothing of their placements each year. Given their talent level and design staff, PR could play a host of tunes and still be competitive. But that's not been "what they do."