When it's time to walk away-

Wow,

then I guess I must be considered strange:

I marched from 1979 to 1989 in DCI (marched my last 2 with the Cavaliers). I then taught from 1991 to 1997.

I love the evolution of drum corps. I feel that it gets more exciting every year. I'm at a point where I don't really watch my '80's DVD's anymore because I don't find the shows as exciting as what I'm seeing today.

As for DCA - I marched from 2000 to 2004 with the Brigs (so I won DCA twice). Although it's fun to perform again - I don't really enjoy watching it as much as DCI corps. Just not the same - to me.

So that's it - I'm a total wierdo I guess :P

But I love DCI today and can't wait for 2008.

Later,

Mike

Mike,

I don't think you're wierd at all. In fact, I find myself in agreement with just about everything you've said. I have loved watching DCI evolve and I find myself more likely to watch LAST year's dvd than I am likely to watch 84 or 88 or even 97/98.. and our opinions on DCA are pretty close as well. I had fun marching there (mostly).. But I don't enjoy watching it as much as I do DCI.

I'm with you. Bring on 2008!

Stef

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can vouch for that and affirm that nearly every former D&BC member and/or fan I meet has totally, completely abandoned the activity.
I happen to be one who knows a lot of people who have chosen to remain involved.

You proved nothing except that you possess a limited vocabulary. Still, thank you for replying; I'm glad I touched a nerve and I hope you'll keep reading and posting.

(Actually I rarely read replies, and even more rarely do I reply to replies that display nonlinear thought-processes, but I'd just happened to scroll up after checking, as we all do, to see if my last post had cleared properly.)

And you proved that you didnt comprehend my post at all. I wasnt trying to prove your philosophy wrong with my example, I was trying to prove that your example made no sense by posting an equally pointless one. Im glad you did my work for me by calling it out. I could think of thousands more if i needed to, as pointless examples are not difficult to come by. But then again, why bother. Looking at you info, you (in your own words), have not liked a show since 1970, and do not enjoy any dci corps. It would be one thing if you were a dci fan and then left, but since you are not by your own admission, what are you doing on the div 1 forum, a place that couldnt possibly discuss anything you would care about?

Feel free to not read and reply to my post. Oh, and just checked - all my nerves are right where i left them :)

I happen to be one who knows a lot of people who have chosen to remain involved.

I saw one or two at the rose bowl. Im pretty sure I was hallucinating though....pinched nerve endings and all...

I saw one or two at the rose bowl. Im pretty sure I was hallucinating though....pinched nerve endings and all...
No, I am referring to his direct exerience of no one he knew while marching still being involved with the activity compared to mine where there is quite a large number.

No, I am referring to his direct exerience of no one he knew while marching still being involved with the activity compared to mine where there is quite a large number.

I know...I was just being, well, a jerk i guess :P . I'm sure most people have similar experiences to you. Please resume your normal discussions

Mike,

I don't think you're wierd at all. In fact, I find myself in agreement with just about everything you've said. I have loved watching DCI evolve and I find myself more likely to watch LAST year's dvd than I am likely to watch 84 or 88 or even 97/98.. and our opinions on DCA are pretty close as well. I had fun marching there (mostly).. But I don't enjoy watching it as much as I do DCI.

I'm with you. Bring on 2008!

Stef

Thanks Stef - we are now a club of 2 :P

Later,

Mike

And where do they get that money? The majority of it comes from their parents - who only give it to their kids at their own discretion. Wait, where have I heard that word before?

Most of the money in the "youth market" is actually the discretionary income of adults.

I never blindly accepted this premise. But I object to it even more strongly now.

WRONG. My disposable income comes from my job that I work every day. ALL of my friends have jobs, and we ALL work for what we want. We are not given handouts from our parents and it bothers me that many adults today think that we are handed money left and right. The majority of youths work for our money, just as you adults do, and I resent the fact that so many people who are 35+ don't recognize that.

Another point not related to quoted post above--The reason why many of us youngins aren't at finals...we're saving our money in hopes of one day being skilled enough to be in a corps. (Not to mention, you can't book a room until you're 18....) Look at local/smaller shows and there will be a lot more kids there.

Another point not related to quoted post above--The reason why many of us youngins aren't at finals...we're saving our money in hopes of one day being skilled enough to be in a corps. (Not to mention, you can't book a room until you're 18....) Look at local/smaller shows and there will be a lot more kids there.

One reason im less interested in big shows. Give me a small show full of screaming kids anyday over a show full of people who withhold their applause for those who fit their vision. Not an insult, just a preference.