When it's time to walk away-

Things are great / let's make them even better!

Ahhhh.....and that's why we're on dcp - to debate/discuss what constitues making things better.. how boring it would be if we all agreed with each other!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: Not sure if ILC midread who my "ignorance" comment was direccted at. It was not directed at the people who do not enjoy DC like they used to to. It was directed at people who throw insults at people who are not 100% happy with DC today.

IllianaLancerContra, I've seen posts on other threads that go something like:

"You just don't like change"

"You want DC to be the way it was when you marched"

"You're a dinosaur"

"You don't want DC to get better/evolve/get new fans/etc"

"Why do you even read DCP if you don't like DC".

And of course that was the extent of the "discussion". IOW - throw out an insult and hide.

These were the blanket statements I was refering too. Things are calmer now, but when the amps proposal was first brought up saw the above many times.

Well the last one was directed at me last week then the poster supposedly put me on ignore before I could reply... <**>

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Check out DCA and Alumni corps. These groups are designed to appeal to a wider audience. It is probably better aligned with the sort of thing you are interested in.

In order to continue to survive, junior corps must continually appeal to youth 21 and under. Their tastes of are a moving target, where trends are measured in weeks, not years.

Anyway, if you are wondering when it is time to walk away, you've already answered the question.

Run, don't walk...

DCA and alumni corps would love some new and dedicated fans!

In order to continue to survive, junior corps must continually appeal to youth 21 and under. Their tastes of are a moving target, where trends are measured in weeks, not years.

Interesting thought. Do you think dci's move to allow narration was in response to what youth 21 and under wanted? I don't. I think it was driven by a middle aged man and what he wanted. (note that I said "I think" which means it's my opinion only)

Wow,

then I guess I must be considered strange:

I marched from 1979 to 1989 in DCI (marched my last 2 with the Cavaliers). I then taught from 1991 to 1997.

I love the evolution of drum corps. I feel that it gets more exciting every year. I'm at a point where I don't really watch my '80's DVD's anymore because I don't find the shows as exciting as what I'm seeing today.

As for DCA - I marched from 2000 to 2004 with the Brigs (so I won DCA twice). Although it's fun to perform again - I don't really enjoy watching it as much as DCI corps. Just not the same - to me.

So that's it - I'm a total wierdo I guess :P

But I love DCI today and can't wait for 2008.

Later,

Mike

Interesting thought. Do you think dci's move to allow narration was in response to what youth 21 and under wanted? I don't. I think it was driven by a middle aged man and what he wanted. (note that I said "I think" which means it's my opinion only)

Well... seeing as it is something that marching bands have been doing for about 20 years now, it is difficult to see how this is the result of one guy. It is also a myth that Hopkins is a singular voice driving for change. He is just the one willing to take the heat.

Blue Devils have actually been far more aggressive about amplification and electronics than anyone else. They have been experimenting with amplification and electronics in exhibition performances since the 80's. Also, their creative staff has been using amplification and electronics consistently for the past 20 years in their band programs.

After the 1990's, things had reached a point where drum corps was no longer at the edge of innovation, but became the laggard.

Kids want new. Kids want fresh. Kids want innovative. Kids want challenging. Kids want now.

The only reason why DCI hadn't moved to adopt these changes earlier is that the organization was a financial mess and couldn't risk the loss of the legacy fan base. Now they are considerably more stable and can actually focus on the future, which means youth... which means that they must return to being the leading edge of the marching activity.

To catch up with the innovation in marching band and winterguard means a lot of change in a shorter period, then a settling out. This change of the past several years is certainly beginning to alienate a number of legacy fans.

For the activity to grow, these legacy fans are essentially dead weight. Hopefully, this sense of alienation or disconnect will cause them to, instead, focus their attention on DCA and alumni corps.

What would be cool is if a group of legacy fans created a sort of grassroots effort to support DCA and alumni corps, rather than complain and consume the attention of DCI and DCI corps. This is nothing but a distraction from attention and resources that should be focused on their mission, which is providing performance opportunities for youth, not spectator opportunities for adults.

Kids want new. Kids want fresh. Kids want innovative. Kids want challenging. Kids want now.

DAH DAH DAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Diggadigga DAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Edited by Hrothgar15

Edit: Not sure if ILC midread who my "ignorance" comment was direccted at. It was not directed at the people who do not enjoy DC like they used to to. It was directed at people who throw insults at people who are not 100% happy with DC today.

IllianaLancerContra, I've seen posts on other threads that go something like:

"You just don't like change"

"You want DC to be the way it was when you marched"

"You're a dinosaur"

"You don't want DC to get better/evolve/get new fans/etc"

"Why do you even read DCP if you don't like DC".

And of course that was the extent of the "discussion". IOW - throw out an insult and hide.

These were the blanket statements I was refering too. Things are calmer now, but when the amps proposal was first brought up saw the above many times.

Well the last one was directed at me last week then the poster supposedly put me on ignore before I could reply... <**>

I suspect I did indeed misunderstand you, and certianly did not intend to insult you.. I am sorry if I did not get your original point. If people like the current DCI product, then they are more than welcome to suport it with their money (free marrket economy, don't ya know). For me, the best deal going was the legacy series, plus a surround sound system and mongo screen TV. I just wish there was a way to still see it live. C'est la vie.

PS - I am indeed a dinosaur, Contrasaurus rex.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

There was a time when a few people thought that Americans would embrace the metric system too.....didn't happen.

There was a time when a few people thought that Americans would embrace the metric system too.....didn't happen.

America has not embraced the metric system because of economics. The cost of retooling the manufacturing industry (particularly the automotive industry) and the military is too great.

Edited by danielray