Most Intense Finals Performance

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about lighting up the crowd and just turning it on on finals night?

Do this experiment....go watch either the quarters or semis version of Phantom 2003. The second it is over, watch the finals video of Phantom 2003. You'll know within thirty seconds of the finals run what I am talking about...

That is the absolute definition of lighting it up on finals night. I can't even describe what it is, but you can just feel this magic that wasn't there the other two nights. It's amazing, and something I use as an example a lot when I'm trying to describe to people that it's more than just marching and playing for three months. Seriously, it is absolutely amazing!

I was either a member on the field or in the stands as a fan 90-95, 97, 99, 01, 02...

and Madison 97 has to be THE most crazy crowd I've ever been in on finals night. I was about 9 rows from the sideline and I've never witnessed electricity like that finale before or since.

Not enough of you are familiar with dinosaur drum corps.

Give a listen to '74 Muchachoes, '74 Kingsmen, and '75 Madison.

Intense performances were the staple by many corps back in the days when creating visceral musical excitement was THE prerequisite to being a supercorps...

:doh::doh::laugh::doh::doh:

Dunno about other corps, but newbies can download Kingsmen mpegs at xkingsmen.com

The intensity of the Kingsmen Alumni Corps field show at DCI Semi-Finals was born and honed in those 1970-74 Kingsmen corps...

Edited by GuyW

The ones that I just love to listen to are SCV 87, 89, 99. Madison 88, 95. BD 83, 2004. Cadets 2000. What other finals night performance was just over the top with intensity? It doesn't have to be clean just super emotional. I'd like to download some ADP's to listen to in the off season. What are your favorite WOW! performances of all time?

Chuck

I agree with this list and would add:

Phantom 1996

Spirit 1980

Garfield 1984

Phantom and Madison 1996 are the ones I can't stop thinking about...there are more but these are the ones that stuck out of my head.

Edited by sopchick_01

Do this experiment....go watch either the quarters or semis version of Phantom 2003. The second it is over, watch the finals video of Phantom 2003. You'll know within thirty seconds of the finals run what I am talking about...

In defense of the quarters performances from Crown on, in 03 - we had a MASSIVE rain delay that really made it tough for the corps to dial it back in (to the point that they nearly canceled our quarters performance - BD actually went on after midnight). I hope DCI thinks long and hard before going back to Orlando...and then decides not to!

I don't know if it's been mentioned - but Cadets 2002 really lit the crowd up with Boogy Woogy Bugle Boy.

Edited by raphael18

It was after teh 11:30 gun.....the phasing did nothing to the score, as music judging was finished....and I don;t think the crowd noticed it, since they were going collectively berserk....which was GE baby!!

The phasing was set up not when the crowd lost it, but because Mike Zapanta lost the count....watch the vid...you can see him pause a beat....half teh corps followed him, half followed the tempo he'd set up.

Bingo! The DM blew this one - it wasn't the crowd. I saw it first hand. Sure, the crowd was loud, but they didn't cause the phasing that occurred. All field judges and ensemble judges stopped at the gun, but the GE judges continued until the end of the show.