Question Regarding New Format in Announcing Corps

After watching it evolve over the season, my thoughts:

1. Two thumbs up to eliminating "are the judges ready?". The contest coordinator was already ascertaining that by visual signal from the press box.

2. No problem with introducing the corps at T minus three minutes.

3. Mixed feelings about blindly asking if the corps is ready at T minus 45 seconds. Saw times even as recently as Friday in Pasadena where the announcer was required to ask if the corps was ready, even when the corps hadn't appeared at the gate yet. Meanwhile, thinking outside of the box, if the judges can signal visually, why can't the corps' readiness be signalled visually as well?

4. Trying to force a 45-second interval between "corps ready?" and "ladies and gentlemen, performing their 2007 show of Three Randomly Selected Songs Tied Together by an Abstract Theme...." remained awkward and inconsistent throughout the season. I can't see how this concept will ever work better than having the drum major signal readiness. Furthermore, that final announcement is way too long. The show theme, IMO, should be announced at T minus 3:00, before the corps starts warming up (i.e. when we can still hear the PA).

It was also awkward watching some corps get ready early, and then have to wait for the timed announcement. This was a common problem in division II/III, ironically (as their schedule is tighter). Why not allow a corps to signal when they're ready, and start earlier? Not only would that be better for the kids standing out there, but it would leave more time after their performance for their pit to get out of the way of the next corps coming in to set up, greatly alleviating the traffic issues between performances.

So my suggestion would be to tweak the system again as follows:

- Expand the first announcement to include the show theme and all the social graces (i.e. "ladies and gentlemen....").

- Eliminate the T-minus-45-seconds announcement. The contest coordinator shall watch for the drum major's signal (salute) indicating the corps is ready, at which point the contest coordinator signals the announcer to say, "(name of corps), you may begin your performance", or "(name of corps), the field is yours".

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's still just as loud and awesome as ever. I would have to make a slight edit to your quote, though:

"Milquetoast Cadets from Wesuckandweknowit, Rhode Island .... YOU!... motha-fatha-competition."

In 10 years of attending shows he's announced, I've never heard him speak the last bit slow enough to actually understand it. But no one ever seems to care. Part of the P.C. charm.

I saw Paul working the tunnel at DCI in Pasadena ... Just had to smile, as it brought back a lot of memories.

:ph34r:

:blink: I don't know who this guy is ? Is he the same guy who anounce's for the Kalamazoo show or the semi final's in Pasadena ? If so this is one extremely anoying dude , what does he think he's anouncing for the WWE or the monster truck show's ? And your right I think as soon as he see's the first person in a uniform or get's a que from someone in the tunnel , he just's start's rattling off the corps name and info . Someone need's to help tweek this guy's performance . :sshh:

I will TP your house

Bring back the 60-second warmup!

To me, as a fan in the stands, the elimination of asking the judges if they're ready is fine, but there is definitely an awkward "when did the show start" feeling when a corps starts playing before the presenting announcement.

Um, what was wrong with the "old" way?

He had a script to follow and was -- unfortunately -- required to follow it on the timed basis DCI set forth (just as Ryan Turner was).

Exactly. I wonder why some people don't "get" this. ANYONE who announces a DCI show is supposed to follow the script and the timing, when it comes to announcing the corps as they enter the field.

And before anyone posts here that Paul Cain in years past did not follow the script.... actually, he did. He simply placed emphasis on the "YOU" in the "you may enter the field for competition" part. That was his style and it worked well for him.

Fran

... And before anyone posts here that Paul Cain in years past did not follow the script.... actually, he did. He simply placed emphasis on the "YOU" in the "you may enter the field for competition" part ...

Fran

Same could be said for Joe Bruno ... He just added an unbounded amount of enthusiasm. I remember him announcing the score for the Fox Valley Raiders at DCI Midwest Prelims one year ... They got something like a 29.00, but he delivered it with the kind of excitement that would make you glad to get a 29.00 ... As if you had won Nationals.

Um, what was wrong with the "old" way?

I'm guessing the problem with the "old way" is the word "old." DCI seems to have a lot of change merely for the sake of change, usually sold as being innovative, increasing creativity, and allowing to make artistic masterpieces.

I'd much rather they just increase show lengths if they want longer shows. There is nothing especially creative or artistic about having an announcer talk over your "introduction", and the problem is not the announcer. It's an activity that can't seem to figure out what it is trying to accomplish.

I'd much rather every corps get the "Now on the field...", "Drum major, is your corps ready?", etc. It would be nice if the drum majors had to salute when asked if their corps was ready and given permission to perform. I know that rule was wiped out sometime ago, but that was another cool thing about drum corps that is dying off.

I may be "old school", but I agree. I think the rule allowing a "flying start" and these unjudged prelude/accompaniment/whatever that we have at the beginning of some shows has been ineffective, and should be eliminated.....if they are that good, then they can do them at the start of their show.......it has also made the announcer's job, especially at smaller regular season shows, difficult, as they have to be cued exactly when to announce the corps..........

GB