New Crown Brass Staff

Some people don't like The Godfather. Some people don't enjoy Harry Potter. Some people don't like pizza.

Some people don't actually like Crown's sound and some do.

Some people don't like to measure art to such a technical degree.

I never said I didn't like Crown's sound. This was actually the first year I really liked their brass sound (04-06, not so much..but I think that more to do with their books too)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And my post was expressing my views that no, they should not get a new brass staff since their staff contributes to their being one of the best hornlines in DCI, and that myself and others couldn't care less about how they rank.

Yeah....i kinda figured that. There others that are sharing the view though.

I never said I didn't like Crown's sound. This was actually the first year I really liked their brass sound (04-06, not so much..but I think that more to do with their books too)

Sorry, I didn't say that you didn't like it. I was just saying that some people don't really care about the numbers and the success of something when they are obviously so in love with it.

Should they be replaced? They were 7th in brass. That and music ensemble were their lowest captions.

I will just do this as the random thoughts come to mind. (.02 to TCM :) )

No

Hell NO

#### NO

Are you F'in Kidding?

Waste of Bandwith

Idiotic

Someone's smoking crack

Ok..done. Thanks.

Yet they sounded miles better than everyone you mentioned.

Hmph.

Uh.

The corps someone thinks sounds the best is completely subjective, an opinion and varies based on taste. Guess what? To my ears, Crown sounded better than every other corps. That is my evidence. I could care less about the principles of brass playing or how a few judges apply them.

Uh. No.

It's really not that difficult to judge brass if you've been playing for more than 6 months. Well, OK, a little longer than that. You (general you, not specifically poster) can really, really like a show. In fact you can like it so much that it clouds your judgment as to if it was better than another or if their brass was better than someone else's, etc. I suspect that this is the case here, and my support is over 20 years playing brass instruments. Crown is good. BD and Cadets are a step above this year. And none of them are my "favorite." That is defined as objectivity, folks.

It's more objective than you think. John Mack definitely sounds better than the principal oboist of B.T. Washington High School, god bless his soul. Not that I believe in god...

Don't know John Mack. God is capitalized. Proper english (!) and such. You don't have to believe in the English people to capitalize the word. And don't tell me you can go to England and see them. Just capitalize the danged blasted word.

Some people don't like The Godfather. Some people don't enjoy Harry Potter. Some people don't like pizza.

Some people don't actually like Crown's sound and some do.

Some people don't like to measure art to such a technical degree.

And some people, even the ones running around in green polo's, know that Crown does not equal Cadets/BD in brass.

Now, after all of that, back on topic. The brass staff is obviously good. Where Crown is now versus where they could be in two years are two different things. DVD being there is a help. Oh, and if they want to be the "New Star," more power to them. Imitation and flattery, you know. If you're gonna imitate, you might as well shoot for the best. While I won't say that Star's was the best brass in DCI, it was certainly near the best.

Keep 'em. All of 'em. Losing any of them would be dumb. All the line needs is to have the same intensity the top corps have drawn out of them. They've got the chops. They've got the books. Now they just need two months of "intensity" drilled into them and they will start giving a more intense brass sound like the Big Boys. The year after that starts happening, look out!

Note: Intensity is not volume. It is something the audience can feel. It is maturity. Blooo and Crown are close. Others are already there.

I've said it before and will again. Crown has the best and most pure SOUND. However, they have some issues with technical passages (which were quite a few this year). They don't have the cleanest and most accurate hornline even though they sound amazing, thus, lower scores come the end.

That being said, to the original poster... If you honestly think Crown needs to replace their brass staff then I suggest AA for your crack smoking problem. To use a reference from the movie Superbad...

To take away Crown's brass staff would be like slapping God in the face.

To take away Crown's brass staff would be like slapping God in the face.

See.

I only saw Crown's show twice this year (once live and once on the midseason DVD) and while I don't remember them that much live, I seem to remember intonation problems in some spots when I watched them on the DVD. I don't really remember much though...

Not that I'm saying they should get rid of their staff, by all means keep them! I love their sound too, even with the intonation problems (that I may or may not be making up).

I don't know if I would say that they sounded better than everyone else though. I really really enjoy Bloo's sound (one of the reasons why I want to march there next year :P )

Are you @#$%*&! kidding?

Get your nose out of the recap and open your ears. I think the fans pretty much spoke to what they thought with that Hot Chops voting this season. There is more to this activity then scores. Don't let the educated, yet subjective opinion of a couple of guys in green shirts rule your world.

Should they be replaced? They were 7th in brass. That and music ensemble were their lowest captions.