Calling all "legacy fans" who are disappointed in DCI...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost every corps was using G bugles in 2000, besides Cadets and Blue Devils. Narration and amplification was not allowed until 2004.

Edit: does anyone know who else, besides SCV and Cavaliers, switched to Bb/F for the 2001 season?

I meant 2000's forgot to make it plural :)

Basically, alot of stuff happened in this decade to turn alot of folks off.

Essentially, I mean the people in the "When it's time to walk away" topic who are just not entertained by the activity anymore and feel like so much has changed that what made it special to them just isn't there anymore. I have one question for you:

What is your favorite DCI show of this decade (2000 on) and why?

Should be interesting to hear.

While not in the camp that does not see much entertainment value compared to previous decades of DCI ( I still see enough to keep me mildly interested and still going to shows ), I'll chime in with the Cavaliers 2006 show " The Machine " as thoroughly enjoyable for me. I'm not generally a Cavaliers fan either. But this show theme in 2006 seemed to fit them PERFECTLY in my opinion. It was the perfect vehicle for a Corps called fondly for many years " the Green Machine". Their 2006 Show theme thus fit their personna to a T, in my opinion. I'm not a fan of most recent Cavaliers offerings, but I have to tip my hat to the 2006 Cavs musical offerings, because it brilliantly matched their theme and visual show last year. The show was innovative, creative too.

The Cadets 2003 show was very entertaining for me as well....... Boston 2000, Crossmen 2005, Phantom 2003, 2005 are some others that immediately come to mind as well. My best shows are not neccessarily shows that had the best precision, demand, execution, tone quality, etc. I have a forgiving heart if the show keeps my interest musically first, then visually 2nd...... warts and all re. execution or lack of demand. That's why Crossmen 2005 and SCV 2005 despite finishing low in the placements that year were a hit for me, whereas much higher placing Corps shows that have the demand and execution down pat can still just make me yawn despite the fact I can acknowledge that they are " better " from a quality standpoint. I look for a show that can connect with me either emotionally, or intellectually. And it does not have to have outstanding execution as a requirement to attain that with me.

Edited by X DM

Phantom 2003, 2006

Crown 2006, 2007

Bluecoats 2007

Colts 2007

These shows grabbed me the first time I heard and saw them. Everything else in 2000 and since, I've had to watch or listen to multiple times before I "got it".

It may be a generational thing, but I know that in my era (1980 and before), just about every corps I saw, I "got it". Music was written to please back then, and also to win... today, its seems to me, mostly written to win.

Essentially, I mean the people in the "When it's time to walk away" topic who are just not entertained by the activity anymore and feel like so much has changed that what made it special to them just isn't there anymore. I have one question for you:

Well let me clerify my position. I don't come away from todays DCI shows and feel that nothing at all connects with me. Some years are definatley better than others. For instance.....for the most 2005 seemed to be a good year and corps seemed to be presenting more crowd-oriented shows. In 2006.....I felt that a lot of corps took a step in the opposite direction....so I was a bit dissappointed.

Some items I remember most about what I consider to be my favorite DCI years is the following,

* More overall showmanship. (These days how many high-fi's do we see between brass soloists. The DM has little personia. Might as well put a dr. beat up there for most corps. I am not saying that the DM needs to run and jump around...but they do seem quite stiff.)

* More crowd reaction/interaction during each song (More of a rock concert feel....which I prefer). At DCI in 2005 I clapped a little during the middle of SCVs' opener and some lady in front of me turned around and motioned shhhh!!! :laugh:

* You never heard...."If I have Two or three more viewings of this show I am going to like it". Shows did not have to grow on you as much.

* Corps identitites (On the field) were stronger

What is your favorite DCI show of this decade (2000 on) and why?

Should be interesting to hear.

Kind of hard to pick one corps. I will say 2005 Phantom Regiment. Great music, very musical and arranged in the Phantom style. Crowds all summer connected to this show quite well......especially during finals week.