ESPN Broadcast Discussion Topic

yeah i caught a few more...

I figured I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, and take a second, third, fourth look at the segment from the broadcast. Yeah, only seeing that one missed step-off. I'd really like to know what you're talking about, cause maybe I'm missing something, even though I know exactly what I'm looking at and for. Soo, yeah, seriously PM me and tell me what you're referring to.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In those days DCI was not buying the airtime.

And, to be fair, PBS has changed since then too. Back then Sesame Street was the most expensive show they produces (Big Bird's agent was brutal getting him (her?) a bonus). Many shows were produced by affiliates (like Nova by WGBH). Plus they got a bunch of stuff cheap from BBC.

But it was real cool to see the entire top 12 live (13 in 77), and in 79 watch Rondo give Maynard a soprano, which Maynard proceeds to check out

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

And, to be fair, PBS has changed since then too. Back then Sesame Street was the most expensive show they produces (Big Bird's agent was brutal getting him (her?) a bonus). Many shows were produced by affiliates (like Nova by WGBH). Plus they got a bunch of stuff cheap from BBC.

But it was real cool to see the entire top 12 live (13 in 77), and in 79 watch Rondo give Maynard a soprano, which Maynard proceeds to check out

Those shows are still funded by outside sources, not PBS. Hasn't changed. PBS didn't produce or pay for the older DCI broadcasts either. (Neither does ESPN)

Those shows are still funded by outside sources, not PBS. Hasn't changed. PBS didn't produce or pay for the older DCI broadcasts either. (Neither does ESPN)

Then where do my pledge funds (and taxes) go? Back when I worked at Pentagon the train I rode in went past PBS HQ in Alexandria every day. Nice looking building.

Then where do my pledge funds (and taxes) go? Back when I worked at Pentagon the train I rode in went past PBS HQ in Alexandria every day. Nice looking building.

I should clarify--individual stations still produce many of the shows but funding is (per my understanding) largely underwritten by outside sources. (Like companies, etc., which typically have an advertisement prior to the show.) The stations themselves rely on donations to operate and PBS itself is funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which gets funding from the government.

I should clarify--individual stations still produce many of the shows but funding is (per my understanding) largely underwritten by outside sources. (Like companies, etc., which typically have an advertisement prior to the show.) The stations themselves rely on donations to operate and PBS itself is funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which gets funding from the government.

ook

($0.02 to Notababdo)

Big Bird = Carroll Spinney....happens to be a guy. :P

Big Bird = Carroll Spinney....happens to be a guy. :P

Yeah, and he actually has to hold up Big Bird's "head" with one arm sticking straight up the entire time he is performing. I remember a few years ago seeing a segment on him during the Macy's parade or maybe the Rose Bowl parade. He had to keep his arm up in the air, supporting the weight of the puppet head, for like 4-5 hours if I remember correctly. Pretty strenuous stuff if you ask me.