So what do we want the cadets to be?

I want the cadets to be the kick ### corps they were up until 2000, not the namby pamby artsy fartsy narration making corps they are now.

The irony of it all though is that I remember the same "namby pamby, artsy fartsy" description given to Cadets when I marched with them in the '80s. Maybe in 2020 folks will be looking back on Cadet's' 2007 show fondly?

I agree with MikeD, I want the corps to create the most amazing, challenging and interesting show they can, and I want the kids to have the time of their lives.

Peace,

CuriousMe

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want their shows not to utilize narration.

I will second that. Try just doing a kick-### drum corps show. No gimmicks, props, tables, amplified voice, electronic drums, idiotic "drum speak" - try just doing drum corps, not BOA wannabe stuff.

He does realize that they can be what you say...those things you dislike ARE part of DCI, and The Cadets have been utilizing them very well the past three years.

I have to disagree with you on that - they have used those items in a poorly organized, obnoxious way. They are better off without the gimmicks.

Well, that's exactly what I want from them - to push the envelope in this activity - not some other similar activity that their director would like to morph drum corps into.

The thing is that, and this is an old topic, that narration and amplification is THIS activity. What I mean by that is, DCI allows the use of narration and amplification, which means that it is a part of THIS activity. Yes, hopkins may have began the voting process, but it takes a majority of directors to pass the rule. So all of these "changing dci into boa" stuff doesn't work because the rules say that it is allowed.

I still have to say that the visual and music of the cadets this year WERE kick ###.

The thing is that, and this is an old topic, that narration and amplification is THIS activity. What I mean by that is, DCI allows the use of narration and amplification, which means that it is a part of THIS activity. Yes, hopkins may have began the voting process, but it takes a majority of directors to pass the rule. So all of these "changing dci into boa" stuff doesn't work because the rules say that it is allowed.

I still have to say that the visual and music of the cadets this year WERE kick ###.

ROUNDER:

The performance of the 2007 corps was Outstanding, but many feel the show was in bad taste....... You say to only listen to the music and view the marching... That's a laugh and that's is not what the show designers intended..... It's all or nothing, a gamble the designers took......

ROUNDER:

You think this was a first place show? What about the other Corps who scored above and behind Cadets.... Don't they get any credit for their productions... Cadets were lucky to stay above Cavies 96.35. IMHO

This was not the best show the Cadets have ever fielded

And as far as your statement "The hardest Cadet show to date"

What about the guard? This was not (by far) the best guard the Cadets have ever fielded. This was not the best horn-line the Cadets have ever produced. This was not the best Cadets ever.

Cadets came in a well deserved, hard fought, second place (with a weak guard and not all that entertaining of a show.)

SO "Rounder",,,,,,, your point about the Cadets not getting credit for their show is B.S., they still scored a 97.025, the second highest of 2007.

If 97.025 was the highest of 2007, would you still say that the Cadets didn't get credit for their show?

Let me restate, then. The Cadets used to do their "pushing the envelope" on the field, via design and performance. Now, they push the envelope in the Rules Congress. And we all know what direction that envelope is being pushed in.

I would prefer they stick to "pushing the envelope" on the field, not in the boardroom.

Bad taste is an understatement.

The narration just grated me...when I heard the whole show in Allentown, and when I saw it last night on TV. I actually told the TV to shaddap and play, but it didn't listen. :laugh:

So, what do we (you) want from the cadets?

I have been a fan of the Cadets since a friend lent me a tape back in 1983. I was a fan when they were the Garfield Cadets, the Cadets of Bergen County, and the Cadets. I was a fan of them when they were playing G bugles and plastic drum heads. I continued to be a fan when they switched to Bb horns and kevlar heads. I was a fan when they placed as low as sixth and I was a fan when they won their championships.

What I want from the Cadets is exactly what I they have done for the last twenty five years, but without any amplified singing or talking.

The Cadets can still push the envelope without narration, electronics, and all the things that Hopkins "thinks" are necessary. Look at what they did before amplification and voice came into DCI. They can still be an outstanding, winning corps. I don't see why Hopkins doesn't realize that...

It's possible Hopkins is going through a mid-life crisis. It would explain a LOT, including the plethora of self-help propaganda he posts on his blog. If this is the case, he should just go buy a corvette like every other mid-lifer out there and leave The Cadets alone.

To answer the thread question, keep doing what they're doing. They've always been a favorite, they always will be a favorite, regardless of how much narration detracts from their performances.

Jeez what's with Cadets Cadets Cadets Cadets Cadets Cadets??!? There ARE other corps, and they're NOT other corps, why do they have to things like OTHER corps? or OTHER Cadet years or what OTHER etc...

DCP has talked more about the Cadets than any other corps for the last 3 years. From their highest scoring show to the lowest scoring show, to a second place show. Whatever, it's constantly about the Cadets. To me it's surprising that people talked about a 5th place show over a 1st place show (and everyone else in between) or a 2nd place show than the rest of the top 12.

When is there going to simply and just be an acknowledgment that that's what The Cadets are doing. How about you let the Cadets do what the Cadets want to do?

Edited by ZealJ03