The Cadets & On Q

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, this doesn't need to turn into a "X Corps works harder than X Corps", no matter the placement all corps work just as hard.....Although, I do want the answer to what people think (that have witnessed) of a pioneer rehearsal lol.........and even people who haven't........everyone in every corps works hard. Period.

Now, this doesn't need to turn into a "X Corps works harder than X Corps", no matter the placement all corps work just as hard.....Although, I do want the answer to what people think (that have witnessed) of a pioneer rehearsal lol.........and even people who haven't........everyone in every corps works hard. Period.

I marched in more than one corps. One of which worked harder than the other.

So first off, no disrespect to the corps and instructors participating in this program. However, how can you say "Top Six" and leave out the Cadets??

Who cares about the issues we all have with them..ect ect...bottom line is if ANYONE in DCI is pushing the envelope of creativity and awarness of progression for the activity its The Cadets!

So, what gives?

I don't know, but the Cadets WALKED.

I marched in more than one corps. One of which worked harder than the other.

What's your definition of "harder"? I believe that it also depends on the maturity of the marcher and the level demand....

Edited by Littlehendrix

What's your definition of "harder"? I believe that it also depends on the maturity of the marcher and the level demand....

I also marched in two corps. One worked harder. The other worked Smarter. The latter was the more succesful corps in terms of ranking.

Wouldn't trade experiences from both for anything, and i would never consider one inferior to the other. Both very invaluable.

BUT, i really think the Cadets have one of the most impressive rehearsal techniques i have ever seen....though i have heard of kids being on suicide watch while in the corps.....just a rumor....

Edited by cwillpayne

I also marched in two corps. One worked harder. The other worked Smarter. The latter was the more succesful corps in terms of ranking.

Wouldn't trade experiences from both for anything, and i would never consider one inferior to the other. Both very invaluable.

Ditto :)

To speak more about the topic of this thread, I think whatever any part of DCI has to offer educational institutions (bands, schools, etc) is a good thing! Until we get more details about the whole On Q thing, I think it's safe to say that it's at least some kind of step forward... regardless of what corps have chosen to be involved! (especially if it adds revenue to the corps themselves, which becomes more and more of an issue, especially for corps that rely on Bingo and such... but that's a whole other topic!)

BUT, i really think the Cadets have one of the most impressive rehearsal techniques i have ever seen....though i have heard of kids being on suicide watch while in the corps.....just a rumor....

I've been put on suicide watch after just imagining a day of rehearsal with the Cadets...

JK :ph34r:

I know they totally work their tails off, harder than I ever could... I remember Tour of Champions, when they had been awake and rehearsing for 3 or more hours, by the time we were even pouring the milk in our Lucky Charms®.

Edited by DKracing

their rehearsal and strategic techniques are obviously at the top of the game

They may work hard, but I would argue that sometimes they work those kids too hard. Rehearsal should not be used as punishment. San Antonio 2006, anyone?

As far as Cadets not participating, why are we surprised that The Cadets would opt out of an opportunity to work with DCI?

Not surprising that The Cadets would opt out. It should actually be expected. I'm not trying to attack the corps or George Hopkins, but not being involved is exactly what I would expect from them. You can bet that DCI would not exclude them intentionally.

You have grossly misrepresented the Cadets and YEA, and you have attacked their director from a standpoint of character in a way that both falsely makes people think you know something that others don't, and that your assumed knowledge of their character is correct...which it is not.

Folks, please refrain from uneducated and false comments like the above. We can all like what we like, but this is going too far on this forum. As someone who represents a corps on the BOD, and as someone who spends many hours working his butt off at bingo and in other areas for a drum corps, I find it both childish and irresponsible that such comments can be made, and more so that people will actually believe such garbage.

OnQ is an educational division of DCI. It has barely got off the ground. More details will follow about this new opportunity offered by DCI and those corps who will initially take part, but that information will be forthcoming from people who really know what IS going on.

The Cadets, who are sponsored by YEA, have already been doing such a thing for quite some time, therefore DCI took a "Q" from them and thought it would be nice to get in the same business. The Cadets' "Music is Cool" clinics are certainly one of the reasons (but not the only reason) DCI chose to look at this model and say "could this work for us as well, and how can we get involved in the same kind of thing?" And, "What other services could this lead to?"

You could say the two will be somewhat competitive, but they will also likely work with each other, and hopefully the best model for this type of service will present itself through cooperation and competition between the two. As for why the Cadets chose not to take part? Who knows. You would have to ask them. We could guess it is because they already do this sort of thing. But there is plenty of room for others to get involved, and there are many things that DCI can offer. The Cadets do not have to be a part of all of it, nor does any other corps. YEA does many things, and they do have a lot on their plate, and since they already offer such services it would seemingly make sense that they not get involved in a new project that may or may not work. There is only so much time, and only so many people to help with these types of things.

YEA is not an evil empire. They operate their organization in the way they see fit. They do some things differently. I do not agree with all they do, but the last time I checked that was not a crime, and it does not mean they hate the activity, or that they would thumb their nose at the activity, or that they HAVE to be involved in everything DCI promotes as being good, right, and worthy. Without checks and balances we would go nowhere. Unless some of you really know your facts, you need to stop with the attacks, the insinuations about their corrupt and arrogant nature, and you need to start dealing with the truth. If you don't know it, try saying something nice for a change. The attacks do nothing for the activity and you look like a fool.

JW