Smoke?

G-Rott

wow, so much for being able to ask a question anymore. :laugh:

the OP was: "Quick question...I noticed a couple corps had people shooting "smoke" from fire extinguishers during their performances at finals. Does DCA allow special effects by non-performing members?"

so, what is the big deal?

way to get all RAMD on the OP for asking a simple question. :ramd:

the answer is: yes, dca allows it.

and both ES and cru used it to nice effect this year.

cheers!

:mmm:

Relax! I was just having fun.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other corps have used smoke effects throughout the years, but in my opinion the Empire Statesmen are the masters of that particular special effect, and pretty much any other special effect.

Fran

Smoke is created by combustion.

Combustibles are not allowed in drum corps.

Fire extinguishers do not create combustion and thusly do not create smoke. They spray dust and chemicals that appear like smoke, but are not creating smoke. This is allowed.

I prefer giant American flags over fire extinguishers any day.

Smoke is created by combustion.

Combustibles are not allowed in drum corps.

Fire extinguishers do not create combustion and thusly do not create smoke. They spray dust and chemicals that appear like smoke, but are not creating smoke. This is allowed.

I prefer giant American flags over fire extinguishers any day.

I think the ES approach is the best way to do the "smoke" effect; The CO2 gas they use is heavier than air while still visible, and dissipates quickly without any harm to anyone's breathing. I would think dry chemical extinguishers would create a major hazard in this regard, and deface the field to some degree--I'm surprised they are allowed.

Bill

Relax! I was just having fun.

I didnt detect that. Looks to me youre the one who needs to relax Keith.

My first corps the Spectacle City Mariners became sort of famous (infamous) for pyro technics. During the push forward in the opener, they would have some staff member surreptitiously sneak to back field and set off fireworks. They had even contructed a jig that would allow the staff member to pull it out from under his jacket, hold it up and simultaneously send up 8 red rockets in an arc pattern. Very cool. The first time I saw it as a rookie I had no idea they were going to do it, so I almsot stopped to look at them. After that it became a very neat sight to see these 8 red dots on your bell.

My final year with Madison 1978, we engaged in some light effects as well. At the end of the drum solo, the corps was packed into a dense diamond with a file of rifles in the center. As the whole corps goes to one knee, the rifles fire off self activating flash cubes and there appears to be twinkling coming from the center of the diamond. Im pretty sure Scouts were not the first to use those however.

wow, so much for being able to ask a question anymore. :sleeping:

the OP was: "Quick question...I noticed a couple corps had people shooting "smoke" from fire extinguishers during their performances at finals. Does DCA allow special effects by non-performing members?"

so, what is the big deal?

way to get all RAMD on the OP for asking a simple question. :ramd:

the answer is: yes, dca allows it.

and both ES and cru used it to nice effect this year.

cheers!

:mmm:

There ya go...that's the answer I was looking for. Not complaining...just asking. From my experience with the marching band circuit I frequent, they don't allow special effects by non-performing members...meaning...I guess..kids not enrolled in the school...I don't know what the rules are for DCI, and didn't for DCA either. I'm not sure how I felt about it at finals this year. I think I was sitting too close and actually saw the people running around with the extinguishers...and that kinda ruined it for me; almost a distraction. I'm sure it looked much better from higher up.