What would you like to see in '08?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're back and we're loud?

Thanks for the quick English lesson. I work in IT. With all of the technical verbiage we have to use, sometimes we forgot how to speak English....... :P :P

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I'm impressed at how well you guys held back from a flame war there. Congratulations.

What I would like to see in 2008 is......

The board of directors and staff present three solid reasons why Bb is better than G horns

The board of directors and staff present three solid reasons why amp'ed equipment is better than non-amped

The board of directors and staff present three positive advanatages to amped vocals

More points for the technical, less for GE and design

A DC fan, corps staff and board of directors conference to discuss the status of the activity (During DCI week)

A motion to make all amplification illegal (Narration, pit....)

A motion to lock in that only brass and percussion instrumentation are allowed

A move away from a majority of the corps approaching shows with a symphonic style (Rock, Pop, Jazz, blues, Gosphel, country, asian, spanish.....so many to choose from folks)

Seeing the Madison Scouts win with a show titled "Madison; Were Back and Were Loud" with an INTENSE jazzy show.....

I am not against change......I just don't see to many great results with some of the more recent changes to DCI.......

I like most of Trip's suggestion's . . . to those of you in favor of woodwinds, it just wouldn't work. You simply can't generate as much sound on a woodwind. I feel that if woodwinds were made legal, nothing would change; most corps would stick with all brass hornlines to max out the volume.

I especially agree with the "stop taking a symphonic approach" suggestion; I appreciate that shows are meant to be challenging and fast and all that, but I want to walk out of the stadium whistling the closer from the Vanguard show, or singing the awesome Blue Devils trumpet solo. Give me something I can point to and not simply say "wow, nice job," but "that was freaking AWESOME." Case in point - anyone remember Southwind '05? The show where the entire brass line put down their horns and chanted for a few bars? Yeah, I thought that was pretty much the coolest thing ever; I was let down by how distinctly less awesome Carolina Crown's show was later that night. The music doesn't necessarily have to be all that recognizable, but for crying out loud, make it cool.

Amplification really just isn't necessary, especially when you have a 12-person pit. Just sayin'.

Woodwinds

Electronics

Strings

In fact, I'd rather that every instrument were legal.

Lights

Pyrotechnics (Ehhh? sounds fun to me)

And I'd really like for all the anti-amp, anti-woodwind "it sucks because it's not EXACTLY WHAT I DID" ninnies who love getting their panties in a twist to stop making my activity look like its constituency is uptight morons.

Edited by HoltonH178

Woodwinds

Electronics

Strings

In fact, I'd rather that every instrument were legal.

Lights

Pyrotechnics (Ehhh? sounds fun to me)

And I'd really like for all the anti-amp, anti-woodwind "it sucks because it's not EXACTLY WHAT I DID" ninnies who love getting their panties in a twist to stop making my activity look like its constituency is uptight morons.

/troll on

as opposed to the pro-woodwind, pro-amp "it sucks because we're not moving forward" ninnies who love getting their panties in a twist to make my activity look like a high school marching band?

they are different for a reason..let's keep it that way...

/troll off

as opposed to the pro-woodwind, pro-amp "it sucks because we're not moving forward" ninnies who love getting their panties in a twist to make my activity look like a high school marching band?

Have you actually ever seen that?

I just wanna know because I've never seen anything like that, per a few sarcastic comments.

Edited by rosski47

/troll on

they are different for a reason..let's keep it that way...

/troll off

No, there is no reason to keep them separate. So lets' not. It's not 1960 anymore. Adding WW to a World Class drum corps will not make them look like a HS marching band, any more than taking the WW away from a HS marching band will all of a suddent make them look like a World Class drum corps.