The perfect ending to VK's 2008 show

SF2K4

So what are you saying? Are suggesting that they don't use humor in their shows? Are you suggesting that they throw the past completely away and never give suggestion or honor to it?

Pretty much.

The new organization needs to make a new name for themselves based on their current corps, not VK past.

I'd bet that if the original VK organization had continued to this day, they would be creating plenty of incredible new stuff (maybe even exploring a bit more options stylistically), not simply rehashing the same concepts over and over and over again.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much.

The new organization needs to make a new name for themselves based on their current corps, not VK past.

I'd bet that if the original VK organization had continued to this day, they would be creating plenty of incredible new stuff (maybe even exploring a bit more options stylistically), not simply rehashing the same concepts over and over and over again.

ah hah! but you see, the original VK organization ISN'T here anymore, so that's irrelevant.

But either way, don't you think what made VK was it's humor and straying away from a lot of the seriousness in drum corps, but being a bad ### at the same time?

correct me if I'm wrong, but...

velvet - smooth

knight - Tough warrior (pretty much, right?)

So even within it's name is states what it was supposed to be about.

I don't think It's fair to say that the reincarnated VK isn't creating a new name for themselves, and I'm sure the alumni will agree with me. I even remember our staff not wanting to put in certain gags just because it leaning too much toward "old" VK ideas. I also don't think it's fair to say that we shouldn't be allowed to follow the "old" VK traditions of humor and whatnot, since we are, theoretically, the same corps, right? Why shouldn't we be allowed to follow the original ideas of the Velvet Knights? Is it because we've gone for 10 years? Why should that change anything? Why can't we just come back and try to continue where we left off?

Please let me know, I really don't understand your logic when you say we shouldn't have gags in our show.

Again, please let me know if anything I'm saying is completely out of context, my opinions may differ from yours, but hey, I only march there.

"ah hah! but you see, the original VK organization ISN'T here anymore, so that's irrelevant."

Ahem.

VK knows Jack.

:D

I think any corps poking fun at another corps in an actual show would show absolutely no class at all.

Why do so many people have to get so worked up about all this? The only way poking fun at someone, especially in a totally non chalant and friendly manner, is classes and insulting is if the group being poked at LETS it be so. The first rule of humor is to be able to laugh at yourself... what's wrong with taking ourselves a little less seriously? I thought drum corps was supposed to be fun?

Why do so many people have to get so worked up about all this? The only way poking fun at someone, especially in a totally non chalant and friendly manner, is classes and insulting is if the group being poked at LETS it be so. The first rule of humor is to be able to laugh at yourself... what's wrong with taking ourselves a little less seriously? I thought drum corps was supposed to be fun?

True...drum corps is supposed to be fun.

But your idea for the VK ending could possibly be one of the most STUPID things I have ever heard of.

I hope you can laugh at yourself and not get so worked up about my opinion.

Edited by dbg

Whatever they play..I hope they have fun, and continue to get better.

This whole "Old VK" "New VK" thing is out of hand.

Let them be what they are, a drum corps trying to entertain the fans.

Back to the OP.

The perfect ending for VK 08....everybody in the stands applauding them for being VK.

Pretty much.

That's stupid!

The problem with that is...the new corps made it very clear in their original mission statement that they were basically to be "a new orginisation living within the spirit of the old VK". So as far as I'm concerned...they ARE being true to their NEW identity because that is the rout they have chosen to take.

Let them be what THEY WANT TO BE because you know what, it's really none of your business anyway and that's the truth. May I also add this? They were quite successful doing what they did last year for a first year corps. They were one spot out of finals and nipped at the heals of the Division III defending world champions. They are obviously having success doing what they are doing...SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST LET THEM DO IT!

The perfect ending for VK 08....everybody in the stands applauding them for being VK.

I think this is the correct solution.