Let's start being specific about narration!

Because they liked it? Is it so foreign to you that people might actually like narration in some situations?

Get over it. Some people enjoy narration. Not everyone has the same opinions as you.

I agree that some people like narration. Its not foreign at all. Something I think pro-narration folks dont understand is that there is a group of fans who don't like amplified narration at all.....not one peep. The minute voice (Or breathing) is heard through a mic/amp......many don't like it.

Do more people like narration than not? Not really sure.

The last thing I want is for "everyone" to share my likes/dislikes (i.e. opinions)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, most of what I write is opinion.

And why dont you give us some facts to back that statement up mister?!?!?! :P

I am an advocate of DCI and other drum corps associations. Long time ago (30 years), after a musical piece we all said 'Ya', a sound, not really a word but a sound in unison. As an advocate of drum corps performing internationally, Europe, Asia, South America, Australia or Africa, would narration have to be the language of the country that is visiting or the country visited?

...As an advocate of drum corps performing internationally, Europe, Asia, South America, Australia or Africa, would narration have to be the language of the country that is visiting or the country visited?

This is something I was thinking about recently too. And it doesn't really matter where the show is being performed, either. With narration, you're making it really really hard for some people to get all or part of the show because they don't understand the language being spoken. Without narration, people can get the show no matter what language they speak (as long as its designed well). Drum corps then transcends language. It's like the difference between ballet and opera. In opera the story is told through singing, and so understanding the language is pretty important. You'd better have subtitles if it's not in your language (subtitles might help anyway!). Ballet transcends language because there is no singing, the story is told through dance and movement.

Not that there's a story to tell in every drum corps show, of course. But there's something to convey usually. And if you can convey it without words, you'll reach more people.

I didn't read the whole 10 pages that this is in so if this was already said, sorry.

If it can't be explained in a program then it's normally bad. When you use it to advance your show (i.e Crown and Bluecoats in 07) without overshadowing the rest of the corps (Cadets 06 and 07).

(sorry Cadets Narration fans) I loved the Cadets show (without MOST of the narration). They begin with the show with all of the "I believe in community" and all that stuff. It's a set up to the show. The corps isn't playing behind it, it fits it makes sense. Now the rest was just repeating what you said in the first 30 seconds.

I am an advocate of DCI and other drum corps associations. Long time ago (30 years), after a musical piece we all said 'Ya', a sound, not really a word but a sound in unison. As an advocate of drum corps performing internationally, Europe, Asia, South America, Australia or Africa, would narration have to be the language of the country that is visiting or the country visited?

That's a good point... I mean, International IS in the title...

I think if people want narration then narrator has to sound like a "good" narrator and not some person saying memorized lines. When you amp voices, it has to be done in a tasteful manner I think.

Here are some moments that I thought "amped voice" sounded fine.

- Cadets 06; the Twilight Zone Introduction ( I thought the person had a far more pleasant voice as a narrator than the pit member in 05 )

- Bluecoats 05; the drumspeak ( The pit using a different type of "instrument" to add color to their music seemed appropriate )

- Bluecoats 06; the arrest moment ( I thought timing was appropriate and sounded good )

I think if people want narration then narrator has to sound like a "good" narrator and not some person saying memorized lines. When you amp voices, it has to be done in a tasteful manner I think.

Here are some moments that I thought "amped voice" sounded fine.

- Cadets 06; the Twilight Zone Introduction ( I thought the person had a far more pleasant voice as a narrator than the pit member in 05 )

- Bluecoats 05; the drumspeak ( The pit using a different type of "instrument" to add color to their music seemed appropriate )

- Bluecoats 06; the arrest moment ( I thought timing was appropriate and sounded good )

Ditto on the cadets 06 moment (it was the singer btw) and she definitely did a good job. I also think the bd 05 announcer was good

In 05, we just did all the narration in english when we were in Europe...

I thought it would have been cool, though it would have been crazy hard on Brian to learn it in three other languages.