Crown vs. Bluecoats in ‘07

glory

This year, Crown and Bluecoats had crowd-pleasing shows that ultimately finished in a statistical dead heat. Yet one is generally acclaimed as a crowd favorite while praise for the other is more reserved.

Why do you think that is? These were two interesting, entertaining designs executed with similar results. We liked both brass sections. When each used narration, we thought they generally did it well. Where they diverged (Crown’s guard was better, Blooo’s drums were better), they tended mostly to offset. And yet most people I heard were quick to pick Triple Crown as a favorite and less effusive for Criminal and its many fine aspects.

I’d be interested in hearing what you think. Why did we love Crown so much this year? Why not Bluecoats instead?

HH

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case anyone wants to label me an idiot for asking, I know most folks loved Bluecoats show. I did too. I'm asking about the apparently greater love for Crown. Whether I'm an idiot is debatable. What's not in doubt is whether I properly appreciated the Bluecoats show and the similar appreciation of others. There.

HH

I feel just the opposite, so I excuse myself from the rest of this discussion. I loved every bit of Bluecoats and was generally indifferent to Crown. (shrug)

This years bluecoats show, while not even in my top 5 for the year, is my favorite coats show of all time. While it may not have done as well competetively as they would have liked, it was an identity building show - something they really needed. Im sure the members and alumni of the corps feel a strong sense of identity already, but I am speaking from an outsider's point of view at the moment. This show, too me, really said 'this is who we are', and they'll need some more of that before they can match up with the top 3 at finals, or even the 2 behind them, that have longer winning traditions. For me, i still liked crowns show better, but i wasnt as crazy about it as the rest of the world, and i do have a special place in my heart for bloo now, since their ensemble rehearsal in dc was the first one of the season for me (and the first full run). Mmm....red hornline shorts with blue uniforms... :P

Personally, I was a huge fan of Criminal. I thought it had some weak moments, but overall it was pretty clean and a crowd pleaser.

Triple Crown, although clean, seemed cheesy to me.

As someone who marched Coats and was excited to hear of them beating Blue Devils at one point, Crown just seemed to have "it." It's like intangibles they talk about in football. You can't really put your finger on it, but the "it" is definitely there. And Crown had "it" more than Bluecoats. I don't know why, I just know how I felt. That isn't to say Bluecoats weren't great...they were...but for some reason Crown just had that magical mix of right ingredients. That luscious brass sound didn't hurt either.

However, I thought the horse prancing was cheesy the first time I saw it. :)

Edited by atlvalet

I thought both shows were great, though Bluecoats were my favorite (of everyone) this year...

All of my family just LOVED Crown though.

I would compare Crown's show to Happy Feet: It's cute, entertaining, funny, really high quality. And Bluecoats to Hot Fuzz: Entertaining, well designed, high quality, more or less great humor moments amongst the action.

Neither movie is better or worse (I didn't really like Happy Feet) It just depends on the viewers taste! A little girl probably loves Happy Feet, but probably has no interest in even seeing Hot Fuzz (which I loved).

Yeah sorry for the dumb anaology, but basically I mean it really just comes down to personal preference I think, because both shows were awesome!

I'm not sure who these "most" are. I liked the Bluecoats show better, so I can't help you with this one.

I liked both shows this year, but only actually saw Carolina Crown in person. IMHO I think that Crown had a litte more straight forward show, where as the BlueCoats had a lot of subtle things going on. The clip they showed on ESPN2 of the BlueCoats was awesome though.

And I really don't know why everyone was all hyped up on Crown's color guard. Yes, I admit they were fantastic, but IMHO Phantom, Cadets, and even the Blue Devils were better.