Should lot warmups be closed to the public?

Parking lot warmups  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI consider a closed warmup policy to encourage attendance for lower-ranked corps?

• No; the lot is part of drum corps, and if I want to skip corps to see warmup, that's my choice.
    • Yes; it is a distraction to audiences and disrespectful to corps by allowing people to watch warmups and show up late.
    • Late arrival behavior will not change, open or closed warmups.

The point has been made a few times that audiences tend to be drawn to hot drumline outside instead of in for a lower-ranked show. There's even the suggestion that a significant number of attendees never buy tickets because they only go to the lot. What are your thoughts? :rolleyes:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest, I actually went to just the lot on semis. I love the lot, and I actually find that people who marched love the lot almost as much if not more than the actual show. There's a lot of great memories in the lot.

My personal opinion...the lot should stay open to the public, and the fans can choose for themselves. From a marketing stand point, if ticket sales are really dropping, the two best things to do would be to either block off the whole parking lot and charge admission to the lot (not sure how this would work, but it's an idea) or sell a few more lot videos and set up souvenir booths in the lot instead of inside the events, so at least you are enticing people to spend some money.

Again, lots of logistics to work out with these ideas, and I think they really only apply to regionals anyways, but it's a thought. But going to the lot is one of my favorites, and I hope it never goes away.

I agree. I'm not sure I would place the blame of low ticket sales solely on people visiting the lot before a show. It's part of the drum corps experience...I would not ban this to protect ticket sales.

Also, anyone who disagrees with this next part, feel free to chime in: The lot is also a big deal to the performers. I know that seeing people crowding around you while you are warming up is a sort of hype. Sure, it could be a distraction if you let it. But, the energy level starts in the lot and (most of the time) carries over into the stadium for the show. It also gives people a chance to check you out (and your music/guard work) in a dissected environment without the other sections distracting you from what you want to listen to (battery/pit/brass or watch guard work).

-=GM=-

what?????? absolutely not. boo that idea.

I am an old school drum corps snob. I beleive it is the parking lot that seperates the chaf from the grain anyway. If you want me to skip the parking lot to come see your show, do better. :rolleyes:

Now as to the behaviour of rude individuals who will walk in during a show - take 'em back out to the parking lot and spank them. Seriously, in front of a crowd so they will learn their lesson. We all have to make choices in life, but we don't have to #### up someone elses good time to do it.

my .02 B)

Speaking of lot sessions, I was throughly dissappointed at how far the corps had to rehearse for finals this year. They were a good 2 to 3 miles away from the stadium. Granted, it was to help the resonance from trickling in to the stadium but I felt so left out. I was so pumped to see the hornlines at finals and I didn't even get the chance to do so. <**>

Now they want to get rid of fans following the corps for warm up? Thats just ridiculous. IMO, if this happens, the attendance for a show will go down period. Watching a corps rehearse before they perform is part of the experience. :rolleyes:

Speaking of lot sessions, I was throughly dissappointed at how far the corps had to rehearse for finals this year. They were a good 2 to 3 miles away from the stadium. Granted, it was to help the resonance from trickling in to the stadium but I felt so left out. I was so pumped to see the hornlines at finals and I didn't even get the chance to do so. <**>

I thought it was because the Rose Bowl area has noise ordinances, which is also why finals was earlier in the day this year

I thought it was because the Rose Bowl area has noise ordinances, which is also why finals was earlier in the day this year

What he said.

It sucked having the lots far away, though. Hopefully they'll fix that for Indy.

And no, they should absolutely not close the lots to the public. Having a crowd in front of you in the lot is part of the drum corps experience, and part of what makes it so awesome to be a member.

Hopefully they'll fix that for Indy.

Unless the RCA Dome becomes a parking lot, I doubt they can fix it. Warmup to the RCA Dome is a loooooooooong walk.