Should lot warmups be closed to the public?

Parking lot warmups  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI consider a closed warmup policy to encourage attendance for lower-ranked corps?

• No; the lot is part of drum corps, and if I want to skip corps to see warmup, that's my choice.
    • Yes; it is a distraction to audiences and disrespectful to corps by allowing people to watch warmups and show up late.
    • Late arrival behavior will not change, open or closed warmups.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But how would they police such a thing? There's no way they could keep as much space under control as they would have to in order to allow everyone enough warmup space.

This could actually work at some venues. Take NIU for instance. Sell an all access pass. Set aside certain areas for corps. You'd need room for 3-4 drumlines...let's face it...they are the attraction. Not too many people watching the hornline tracking.

3 designated areas that are set up with temporary stands. These could be rented.

Coordinate with the corps for their times in "The Lot."

All access passes give access to all 3 areas for the entire evening (could be a wrist band) for $10.

All praticipating DCI member corps could receive a share of the take from "The Lot."

Let's face it...drum corps most marketable element is the drumline. Too bad DCI wasn't ahead of the curve when that stupid movie came out or drum corps would be more mainstream already. Two words for the DCI marketing folks. "Promote drumline." Big, sweaty, hardworking drumlines. They are the coolest thing this sport has going. They are the star pitchers of this major league.

How would you possibly succeed in closing the lot? The only reason warmups have been located anywhere other than the immediate parking lot has been for logistical reasons, and it's created a huge pain in the neck every time. People will do what they will, and the effort it would take to keep people away from warmups would be greater than any positive result you might get.

Pretty much. I'm all for getting more people to see the "undercard", but I voted no in this poll only because how could DCI possibly begin to enforce such a policy?

Don't be ridiculous! The corps have to worry enough about being thrown out of the area due to noise violations, let alone police the public area to remove drum corps fans, family and friends, and bums with shopping carts

I wanna know the thinking behind the 2 YES votes... :rolleyes:

I was wondering about the 'heard in the stadium' penalty these days as I sat in Allentown and heard clear as day The Cadets warming up really close to the stadium (esp considering how much room was left in the park by the time they performed).

The RCA Dome will be torn down but it will be turned into convention center as soon as it's taken down in April (iirc) so it won't 'rotate' parking lot spots with the new stadium.

The truly interesting part is how do you deal with the inequity of perception that a warmup is better than a show? If a Phantom drumline warmup is more exciting than a Troopers show, we do have a problem -- if it's a long term trend. If you bought a ticket to see the show, I don't see a problem with it.

Well, let's be real here. I'm a Trooper alum, but I can honestly understand that for some folks a Phantom warmup would be more exciting than a Troopers show, or you could insert just about any corps name here due to tastes and style. That's what makes the activity so savory to me. (though I'm still missing the likes of the old-school VK and Bridgmen. Yeah, I know VK came back, but I didn't get to see them this year.)

My tastes have changed over the years, dramatically. I used to love going to the lot, but after a while my connection to it faded. If I were teaching a drumline or a marching band, I'd probably take kids to the lot for the early warmups but make sure they were inside for the first corps. My personal attendance habit now is to see every corps on the field, but part of that is because I only get to 1-2 shows per year instead of my old 3-5 shows.

While I would love the stands to be packed for the early OTL corps, I know it's not going to happen. It's the nature of the activity and I wouldn't change a thing. I love the lot hype as a performer, and I wouldn't take that away from current members.

As for the Troopers, we just have to make sure we start going on later. GO 2008 TROOP!!! :D