Using 2007 The Cadets as an introductory tool

2007 The Cadets show  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Given that The Cadets show for 2007 was somewhat "introductory" to drum corps, would you use it to introduce a newbie to drum corps?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hell no. its not like im going to show people a drum corps show and not tell them what it is we do all summer, instead just relying on a drum corps show to do that for me. theres definitely more important things for them to know than that the cadets believe in "community" and "choice." i explain the lifestyle, the 135 people usually between around 18-21, sleeping on gym floors/busses, travelling all over the country, etc. they dont need to hear that we're "athletes of god," or that some kid from pembroke pines didnt have a lot of friends in high school and relied on music for social acceptance. that has absolutely nothing with my drum corps experience.

especially after watching it a few days ago, i think scv 99 might be at the top of my list to show people for their first show.

Edited by Jared_mello

The first thing I do if they wonder what it is is see if they would listen to 2003 Phantom then I would show it to them. If they say it was pre-recorded, I was there so that destroys that opinion of that.

It would be an excellent tool.

It would show them what's in store and be an honest representation of what thier future holds.

When I was watching a video of this show, I considered that for a little bit and then decided against it. Although it does show things that are important to drum corps (pyramid of sound, basics, etc.) and things that are important to the people in drum corps (unity, acceptance, fun, etc.) I don't feel that the show as a whole would be a correct introduction and view of drum corps as a whole. Don't get me wrong; I really do like this show, but I don't feel like it represents the whole drum corps community. Shows like SCV 1999 and Phantom Regiment 2003, mentioned above, among some others like Phantom Regiment 1989, Cavaliers and Cadets 2000, and a whole bunch of others would be much better to introduce people to the activity. These shows have more of the whole package and are more widely accepted as "good", and they don't have to say it to tell it.

Keep in mind though, I'm not an opponent of narration. I just feel that newcomers should have a good or at least semi-good understanding of drum corps before trying to swallow shows like Cadets 2005, 2006, and 2007 or Star 1993. I think drum corps fans should be well balanced on topics such as strange shows and not immediately think that all shows have to be strictly "out there" or "traditional" in order to gain their respect and/or liking.

I just feel that newcomers should have a good or at least semi-good understanding of drum corps before trying to swallow shows like Cadets 2005, 2006, and 2007 or Star 1993.

I don't think Star 93 was THAT out there such that I wouldn't show it to a corps newbie... Cadets 05 maybe, Cadets 06-07 I would definitely not pick first as shows for a newbie to watch.

Even if it weren't for Cadets 2007's "out there"-ness, something that made me chuckle a bit in the show was the content of some of the narration that was supposed to be staff offering critiques. It sounded very... mild, shall we say, relative to what REALLY goes on in a lot of corps. I don't know, I just felt like said narration was a bit Pollyana-ish. I don't remember the exact quotes, but something like "Yes, that was MUCH better that time! Let's see that again!" would more often be communicated in drum corps as "Congrats, you finally stopped sucking so much... you'd better do that again or you're going to be running." OK, maybe not exactly that, but... hopefully my point is coming across... the narration somehow didn't capture a lot of the dialogue that actually goes on in corps rehearsals, IMO. :rolleyes:

I'll tell you exactly what newcomers think of the show.

I had the privilege of taking 30 of my students to their first drum corps show this year. We went to Pasadena for quarterfinals. The kids were charged up and ready to get marching after seeing the pinnacle of the activity all day. With no exceptions, the show that left the worst taste in their mouths was Cadets. I gave them no indication of my feelings about the show prior to them entering the field, although it was pretty hard to do while trying to explain why the audience was booing George for the re-painting incident. After the show, I just let them do the talking. They loved the playing, but couldn't stand the talking.

Keep in mind, this is the first year of marching band at this school, so virtually none of these kids had ever been exposed to anything like this before, until I brought a DVD in this summer and said "this is what we're going to see in August."

Short answer: You want to introduce drum corps to somebody, steer far from 2007 Cadets. It will probably not be received very warmly. In fact, there will probably be some laughter involved. Let's face it, much of the dialogue was laughable.

ok....well as a member of the Cadets i wouldn't even suggest that show to people for a first time viewing....BUT if it means anything, i did show the 2007 show via season pass to a bunch of kids i teach about a week ago (many happened to be their first drum corps viewing) and many of them loved it and some are wanting to go to Cadets. Now i know that isnt a universal response that everyone would have to that show....but they loved it. so i guess it isnt THAT ineffective :rolleyes:

Yeah, this show just has too much cheese to show to someone to whom you're trying to "legitimize" the activity. They really hit you over the head with all these "values", just too cheesy for this purpose.

What I would show is (among others not mentioned so far) Cadets 2000, Cavaliers 2000, maybe BD 2006 too, and probably the show that I did (Crown 2006). I mean if they can't get into Cadets 2000, they don't have a soul and there's no hope.