Quick, I've got a Suncoast Sound question

t-mac

The "Time Out" that Suncoast played was done by Rob McConnell's Boss Brass. I can't seem to find it anywhere though.

Don't know what album it's from but it is the same album that Blue Devils got T.O. from. Two kick ### openers from the same album, with the same initials.

Both corps arrangements were pretty faithful to the originals as well, although there were some alto sax lines that I wish Robert would have tried to use that were probably just too tough to pull off.

Tougher than the sop feature?? YIKES!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

And in case anyone cares...my favorite Suncoast Sound shows are Adventures in Time (hornline won, or tied, or something astounding), Florida Suite, the 1988 show, the 1984 show, and 1983. We pretend that 1987 never existed.

For Suncoast that is.

Ryan, thanks for the props... means a lot....

As to 87... well, I didn't march 86, but I wasn't a rookie in 88.... there was something.... can't remember.... foggy..... Eh, idunno. I DO remember seeing a bunch of really good shows that year live.... wonder how... nevermind.

And yeah....I'll agree with you on teh 83 line....the opener absolutely SMOKED!!! That corps just doesn't get enough credit for debuting in teh top 12 at 6th place...

Not to pick a nit, but they debuted in 5th place after Semis, Madison passed them up at Finals. Suncoast had one of the fastest rises (and, unfortunatley, declines) of any corps. First appeared at DCI in 1979, placed 40th. Then:

1980 - 30th

1981 - 21st

1982 - 13th (by .55)

1983 - 6th

Not a bad start, by any means.

Is it just me, or does the 2008 Cadet's show theme resemble '88 Suncoast a bit?

Funny Allen, I thought that Cadets 2005 was basically Symphonnic Dances, Part II

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum

Hey, I'm sorry....but I actually liked 87 Suncoast!

We toured with them in 87-89? At least two years. They were the kings of cleaning, always came out dirty and we thought we would beat them, then they cleaned like heck and maxed out in finals, leaving us in their dust.

If I remember the drumline usually just had one guy on tour, cleaning the whole battery by himself. What was his name? He did a great job with them. As a matter of fact we got two snares from 'Coast in 1990 when the corps didn't tour. The practically learned the whole book and excercises on the plane to Philly.

Hey, I'm sorry....but I actually liked 87 Suncoast!

We toured with them in 87-89? At least two years. They were the kings of cleaning, always came out dirty and we thought we would beat them, then they cleaned like heck and maxed out in finals, leaving us in their dust.

If I remember the drumline usually just had one guy on tour, cleaning the whole battery by himself. What was his name? He did a great job with them. As a matter of fact we got two snares from 'Coast in 1990 when the corps didn't tour. The practically learned the whole book and excercises on the plane to Philly.

Hey, not for nothing... 87 was my rookie year, and will always be special in that regard. That said, it was a tough year. After literally growing up (drum corps wise) on the 85 and 86 corps (they had about half of their camps, it seemed, at my high school, and I was the bando sitting there almost as long as the corps rehearsed!) the product we had to put on the field in 87 came up a little short. BUT, I was lucky enough to be a part of 88, which is what it is, and that is a show that is still discussed much 20 years later. 89 was good to, if only for the sheer turnaround we made, in a really difficult year off the field (53.something to 90.2 at semis)

The "Time Out" that Suncoast played was done by Rob McConnell's Boss Brass. I can't seem to find it anywhere though.

Don't know what album it's from but it is the same album that Blue Devils got T.O. from. Two kick ### openers from the same album, with the same initials.

Both corps arrangements were pretty faithful to the originals as well, although there were some alto sax lines that I wish Robert would have tried to use that were probably just too tough to pull off.

Suncoast's 1983 opener was called "Time Out" for some odd reason. The tune is actually the Bob Mintzer tune "Tales of Rhoda Rat", played by the Buddy Rich Big Band on the album "No Jive". Robert Smith's arrangement was essentially a transcription of the tune, and was just ridiculous in the degree of difficulty.

Suncoast's 1983 opener was called "Time Out" for some odd reason. The tune is actually the Bob Mintzer tune "Tales of Rhoda Rat", played by the Buddy Rich Big Band on the album "No Jive". Robert Smith's arrangement was essentially a transcription of the tune, and was just ridiculous in the degree of difficulty.

No wonder I couldn't find it. I stand corrected, thanks Kamarag. I thought it was Rob McConnell because I had the wrong Blue Devils tune in my head. The BD tune from the same album was "Ya Gotta Try" not "T.O."

They've got a sample of the tune here if you want to hear a couple of the sax licks that Robert didn't use, one is right at the end of the opening statement and another is just before the solo at the end of the sample. Just scroll down to hear the samples.

Edited by Russellrks

Actually, this is odd... I could have sworn I had a Buddy Rich album where Time Out sounded like Suncoast...

Buddy Rich - Live WHAM!

And I do.... the first tune is called Time Out, and has the intro and the sop feature, then later has Tales of Rhoda the Rat. Check the samples on the link above. Weird, b/c the link that Russell posted is Rhoda the Rat on his Amazon page, but it is Time Out on the link above, while Rhoda is more of a slow tune (on the Wham album)

Amazon Shenanigans, I say!

I remember when I "got" the 88 Suncoast Sound show...

Let me explain.

They were at a show in LonGIsland...in early June. Everybody was dirty that night, but there was PROMISE... The show was explained to me by a snare drummer that I just walked up and asked...Mark, or Mike...M something was his name. I got to see them at EAST that same year. I UNDERSTOOD the show, just didn't "get "it.

Semi Finals...Arrow Head Stadium ( a GREAT stadium...in the MIDDLE of the country...hint hint DCI) 2 rows from the TOP, 35 side a. A ball sails over a childs head, 4 notes are played...3 by EVERYONE, 1 by just pit, and I'm STANDING ON MY CHAIR APPLAUDING...

What a GREAT drum corps moment...I miss them.