What hats do you prefer?

Aelius

Aussies...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greek Fishermans cap.

This is probably the most recognized hat in the history of drum corps.

I'm obsessed with Aussies! ^0^

A take on another thread about uniform colors. Just curiosity mainly. :D

The only cover I ever wore was a shako. In 1971 we marched in our first show with our brand new black vulture feather plumes and just as we went into our Woodstock portion of the show, it rained like crazy. Thunder and lightning - everything. As some might recall that portion of the show required our contra line to "attack" the American Flag Section and were "repelled" by the Rifle Squad and the rest of the hornline scattered. Well the fans went nuts - they'd never seen anything like it before and the judges of course thought we were running because of the rain. What penalties! And the dye from the plumes virtually destroyed our uniforms.

Oh - did I say Shako?

72OTL.jpg

Puppet

Shakos.

hmmm... i hadnt realised it was time for this discussion to come up again all ready...

You are correct.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=101660

Perhaps we can post more photos on this thread? I am considering the Greek fisherman's cap, with visor, easy to wear and transport.

Edited by lindap

well, and right there in your day were the Kilt's, who wore the classic tam...and looked awesome!!

Yes, they were. Thanks for the reminder.

I also now remember our guard wore a simple tam, first red with a white pom-pom and the next year white with a red pom-pom. Drum major, drums and horns continued to wear shakos. Now if everyone in the corps wore the same tams with some illumination, we would look like 'connect the dots' in a dimly lit field. The picture below (newspaper covered in clear wrap to deter aging) is dated September 1970.

1970-09-05-1-a.jpg

I actually wore four different kinds: a Spanish "Vaquero" hat; a Guardsmen helmet with a horsehair plume on it; a Guardsmen TALL shako that was made special for them to look like a British infantry soldier from the 1800's/early 1900's (it was hoped that the height would have the same effect it was supposed to have on the opposing army of the British: intimidating and to make them/us all look taller than they/we were); and a Madison aussie.

I feel fortunate to have had so many opportunities to wear drum corps uniforms at all! And of those, I liked the Guardsmen helmet with the plume best in look, and the aussie in comfort. Madison used to put a coat of paint on them to both clean them up AND to add some some weight to them for drummers...because... the Vaquero hat would blow off or tip back frequently due to our heads moving while playing accents or making head movements. And the tall shako was without a doubt the absolute worst. Sometimes it felt like I had a building on my head or something... and it was very hard for us to play with it on. They should have given us a different style (which Guardsmen did with their drumline in earlier years - different headgear than the rest of the corps... as did 27th) that was easier for us to play in.

I would have LOVED to wear a Bellville Black Knight helmet... the coolest headgear there ever was for a drum corps.

But I guess the bestest of the best for me was what I wore in practice all the time: my baseball cap! (second snare from right is me...)

snaresmontreal82.jpg

That is a fantastic picture! :rolleyes::rock::rock: