helmets

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wore white Aussie for two years and hated it for a couple of reasons:

1) Can't keep the #### things white....

2) Take up a lot of space in the bus luggage rack in the box

3) Wore it during a monsoon in Erie and my back was covered with white sparklie crap that washed off the Aussie. White sparklie crap on a BLACK uni <**>

Baseball hats during a hot parade are nice.... :)

I never really liked helmets because of how the inside is structured to fit the head. It wasn't comfortable for when I wore them. I Like shakos... and aussies are okay as long as the front dips down to help cover the eyes. A lot of aussies have that fur-like coating though, which over the years tends to ware off, exposing the plastic frame underneath.

I LOVE aussies, BUT it doesnt work with my contra at all.

I just like to look Bad A**

Now im back to my Beret in my marching band.

Edited by Bossman

I LOVE aussies, BUT it doesnt work with my contra at all.

I just like to look Bad A**

Now im back to my Beret in my marching band.

"Aussies & Shakos":

"Way Back When" shakos were the headgear of choice. Just about everybody had them. There were, however, a few "Exceptions" to the rule:

When the "Cadets" were unceromonisly tossed from the Parish ("Holy Name Will Always Be"?) and their trademark "Cadet" uniforms were sold to the St Marys Cardinals, their "Interim" uniform of white shirts and shorts was topped off by an "Aussie". (See the pix in HOFDC Vol 2).

Two of the Bridgeprot CT corps, St Raphael's Buccaneers and the Connecticut Royal Lancers were "Aussie" corps, with the Bucc's having plumes and the Lancers without. St Catherine's all girls Marionettes, and the Audubon Bon Bons wore "Cowboy" Hats", as did the 'Jersey Girls' Starlighters.

The Boston based Cambridge Caballeros topped off their "Hawthorne Look" with a "Hawthorne (Vaquero) Hat". The Madiosn and Racine Explorer Scouts corps wore actual "Scout" uniforms. In 1962 Madison switched to the "Cadets" look, complete with shako, and in 1964 Racine topped off their "Scout Suit" with a white cowboy hat.

In 1964 the Racine Scouts went to the "Chrome Domes" looks, while the Madison Scouts went through several incantations of "Cadets" uniforms until the return of Mad alumni Bill Howard in 1969, and their return to the "Explorer Scout" greens, as well as their comeback to national contender status.

There are no doubt a few other corps from "Way Back When" that bucked the shako syndrome.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Worn both...

Give me my Aussie!!!! B)

This would be fun to see on the field! :)

1400.JPG