Bad housing sites on tour this year!

a friend from spirit (and two of her corpsmates) got mugged outside of their housing site in compton this year. i cant remember if she said it was at knifepoint or not, details from our conversation are a bit foggy. all three of their purses were stolen after being warned not to scream.

i heard colts had a site in the compton area too and had to stay inside of the school one day while locked in because of threats of attacks if they went outside? not so sure about that one though.

i know our housing site in D.C. was a mess.....looked like a jail, helicopters kept flying by, we heard gunshots during our rehearsal, and a bunch of peoples things got stolen our of their suitcases in the gym during one of our blocks. (field/showers sucked too).

Edited by Jared_mello

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finals week we stayed at a high school in Los Angeles...the guys showers were cold (then again, we only had like 2 good showers, not scalding hot or freezing cold, all of tour), there were lots of cockroaches in the guys showers, our field was so bad that we had to drive like half an hour to borrow the field of the Racine Scouts, it was a bad neighborhood, just lots of problems.

The housing site before that though, somehow I guess the guys' showers were full of infected water or something and like 15 of our guys were sick the day before prelims, including me. I was the first one...needless to say that day sucked. I threw up on the bus which is never a good thing.

Has anyone ever had a horrible bus driver? The bus drivers for us got lost EVERY SINGLE TIME WE WENT ANYWHERE! And I literally mean it...we turned the wrong way out of the parking lot once for crying out loud. We missed seeing a bunch of corps at finals and semifinals because of this, which really sucked.

I almost couldn't perform at I&E because the bus driver got lost...needless to say I was very mad.

i know our housing site in D.C. was a mess.....looked like a jail, helicopters kept flying by, we heard gunshots during our rehearsal, and a bunch of peoples things got stolen our of their suitcases in the gym during one of our blocks. (field/showers sucked too).

we had the same problem in maryland. everything was stolen (whole power strips gone) during the first block. a lot of people spent their day filling out police reports. but at least the showers were AMAZING :P

a friend from spirit (and two of her corpsmates) got mugged outside of their housing site in compton this year. i cant remember if she said it was at knifepoint or not, details from our conversation are a bit foggy. all three of their purses were stolen after being warned not to scream.

Yeah, that would be one of my good friends that I marched with for the past two years. The scary thing is that when I found out it happened, we were told to call the people who weren't at the housing site. I called her first, and she was like, "I got the memo it happened..."

The ironic thing is that I appreciate that housing site. It opened my eyes to a living situation I've never had to deal with. I almost cried after we saw Hawthorne Golf perform their show for us during finals week. Those kids were doing drum corps for the sake of drum corps; not for a stupid ring or glory. DCI is probably one of the only good things they have to look forward to in life.

Bad housings to me:

- Any school in Texas with crickets. I lost sleep over them. The door to the gym was left open while we were at the San Antonio Regional... so all the crickets came inside. It wasn't any more fun when I had to clean the showers with crickets hopping all around in the water, yuck.

- Warrenton, VA!!! The girls had to sleep in this cafeteria with food leftovers on the floor. There were cockroaches everywhere and ants eating the cockroaches we killed. I sleep on top of a table with my sleeping bag because I didn't dare touch the ground. We were woken up an hour before the real time to get up to construction workers yelling very loudly in Spanish. Apparently there were doing construction in the cafeteria kitchen. On top of that, the field had a huge drop off from 4 steps in the FSL to the FSL. The BSL was behind a sidewalk. The field was uneven with tall grass and the likes. Not fun.

Has anyone ever had a horrible bus driver? The bus drivers for us got lost EVERY SINGLE TIME WE WENT ANYWHERE! And I literally mean it...we turned the wrong way out of the parking lot once for crying out loud. We missed seeing a bunch of corps at finals and semifinals because of this, which really sucked.

I almost couldn't perform at I&E because the bus driver got lost...needless to say I was very mad.

OMG yes... we didn't have problems with bus drivers getting lost so much as JERK bus drivers!! We had two bus drivers for our drum bus this past season. The first one was nice, always in a good mood... a little creepy sometimes, but generally nice to be around. THEN one day suddenly he was gone, and we got this complete jerk who never got tired of reiterating how he didn't want to be driving us around the country. He was a jerk to the parents and kids alike. He did drive kind of crazily sometimes too... as in, very sudden stops. Anyway, every single person affiliated with the corps that interacted with him even once... completely disliked him.

Any school without showers (elementary schools of course), schools with only 1-2 shower heads in the mens locker room, schools with box 1 shower heads, the "practice field" at the school in Allentown where Scouts stayed in 2004. It was like taking a marimba down the grand canyon, in the rain. All the Tampa housing sites.....Oh wait!!! There aren't any!!! Thanks Hillsborough County school district!

It was like a few days before Pasadena, and Southwind still didn't get a housing site from DCI, so they put us up in hotels for the last week. =) It was amazing. But we had to bus to our rehearsal site an hour away.

I don't remember what show it was, but it was somewhere in L.A. We got stuck at a site that had cockroaches (not too out of the ordinary though), no showers (we used a garden hose outside), and complaining neighbors because we didn't get our permission or whatever it is to make that much noise. We got kicked off the football field that we lined, set up, and then left because we "didn't have permission" to use it or something. So we used a baseball field, which cut off at least 20 yards from the actual field, and yeah.

So the next night we went and stayed at a really really nice hotel (I don't remember if it was 5 stars or not), and ordered a huge amount of rooms, when there was only one staff on duty I think to book rooms. I heard one other guy came in before we came and asked if there were any rooms, and the staff said plenty, and then he came back an hour later to get them (I don't know the exact details) and couldn't get a room, and he was kinda frustrated.

Anyways, I was returning one morning to get my water jug in the hotel room that I forgot, and I was already late, and when I was going up the elevator, the fire alarm went off (luckily not stopping the elevator). But there was a fireproof door between me and my hotel room, and one guy helped me get it open. Wow I'm kinda getting off track, but yeah. I got it, and returned to the bus.

There's a whole lot more to this story, but I'll keep it to myself for now.