Phantom Regiment hires new drill designer

Yeah, but that's a stock move as well for the Regiment. OK...only used once, I admit...but they caught it on film...arrrgh...David St. Johns, I bask in the glory in the being that is you.

That was a very frustrated David St. Angel and no it is not a stock move for the corps... or for Mr. St. Angel either.

Have a nice 2008

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do wish I could agree. But what I have said is, their visual program, regardless of how well they execute it or how well it complements the music, has not produced many visual "wow" moments. It has been visual for the sake of visual because they had to do something. When your biggest crowd reaction is for the "cheese" referred to earlier, well, that pretty much tells the tale of your program.

Let's not contradict here... regardless of how well it compliments the music..been visual for the sake of visual because they had to do something???

What corps hasn't put things into their show that wasn't the optimal choice for their program but for the sake of overall acceptance they did it anyway?

I don't think anyone here thinks they suck in the visual department. They just need a little more imagination when it comes to matching the visual to the music.

Last year I thought they could have done so much more and didn't. I don't believe the show reached it's full potential. No matter how well they marched, it (imo) would never reach it's potential.

Well -- it seems. by the judging of late (2000- present, w/exception of 06) are very biased towards Regiment ESPECIALLY when they are up against the other top 4) no names needed.... but I bring up the facts that a husband/wife judging duo consisyantly scrore PR lower in captions every time they see/judge them. Case in point 07.

Now, when looking at visual, "it" (meaning THE WHOLE PGK of music, movement, color and drill) must carry the same motif for the 11 minutes. "Faust" did that, "On Air" did not. Plain and simple. I said right here on this very forum that Regiment's theme (primarily birds) would be too constricting and difficult to portray on a field -- HOWEVER, they did a VERY amiable job given what they had. The music and it's playing FAR outweighed the drill/visual product.

Now, if PR decided to ever again do a 'tragedy to triumph' show.... redo "Rome & Juliet" Classic music, classic for THEM in every facet... plus, the audience can (and will) relate to not only the music but the whole theme it "it" is well thought out, and well performed.

It is pointless and futile to compare year to year (96 to 07 etc) as the criteria fir jusdging, and, the now endless breakdown of each caption make comparrison almost impossible.

So with that................. C'Mon Mr Scotella & PR staff knock us off of ###*** with that show that's just been screming to be put on the field!

GOOOOO PHOR IT PHANTOM !!!!!

ok....someone lacks a comedy muscle....either it's me....or????

It's you :P

You know -- Drill will, and does differ per corps as does the wind on different days.

So does the people's opinion of it and the judging of it. Every cops has their unique marching style. Regiment found it's niche in the early-late 90's with some awesome drill moves like the wedge, the crab step, etc, etc. The key to getting a successful drill is to have an accessible theme to which to build upon.

From beginning to end - the theme MUST tell a 'story' , in sight, sound and movement and needs to be conveyed ON THAT theme flowingly. Now, Regiment CAN do this successfully -- they just need to do what they did in 96, 2003 and 2006 .

Pick a theme that is so accessible and graspable (??) that whomever is watching and/or listening is caught up in what is being played/marched. I will digress abit here, and YES ---- this is MY opinion on a great show theme that had it all.............. Two occassions............

REGIMENT 1996 ---- 2006

1996 -- "Defiant Heart" The corps had an identity change. ALL BLACK uni's. A theme that was in itself, their whole essence... defiantly performing the classics in a way that no one else had dared to up till that point, in a way that ONLY Phantom regiment could do. The whole program... from the long, brooding intro... to the full power of 72 horns & percussion in the 5th Sym. grabbed you, held you focused on this raw, poingant determination that was seen in both the impeccable marching/drill, as well as the powerful music of Shostakovich. WOW!! They literally were "DEFIANT!" they made you feel and see it.........

2006 -- :"Faust". Love Story for the common folk (or drum corps person). From the beginning of the show, to the final chevron -- the show flowed with the essense of "Goiod -vs- Evil" , love overcomes all in a theme, no matter what version one saw/heard of 'Faust' could relate to. They told a story on the field and did so with their trademarks of POWER, PASSION & PERFORMANCE! They made you want the 'demons' to be defeated, for Marquerite to rise again and to be reunited w/Faust..... they did just that and got 2nd place!

THAT is how a show should be built! Theme first, THEN music and drill/design....... or, perhaps, music LAST! So many corps start with music first and plan around that. Phantom's greatest performances were put on the field when the theme took center stage.... 91 "Phantom Voices" -- all opera. 93 - with Bernard Herrmann and their 'Movie themes'. And as above, 1996 and hence, 2006. See the connection I'm trying to make?

Regiment is THE best in my opinion at performing 'symphonic' music in a broad multi-voice medium of brass and percussion. Now with JD Shaw and Paul rennick doing the arranging -- we now hear that lush melody and undertones that so many have & will continue to point out! They LOOK Beautiful in white... and sound gorgeous with those king horns.

My thought? Regiment 2009............. "Summer of Eternal Love - Romeo & Juliet in Modern Times"

Music --- All Tchaikovsky

Silk Colors --- Pink/Majenta & Purple

Guard --- Flowing dress like 88 -- white/silver accented with some of the same colors as the silks

Drum Color --- Purple fading to washed pink (makes the white stand out better) and conevys 'love'

Uni Accents --- Silver baldric/guantlet with white sash over shoulder, with pink/purple on underside

Everyone knows the story, start where Romeo & Juliet first meet and take the listener/viewer on an 11 minute trip through their love and romance as only Regiment can do. The finale' being just as they die in eachother's arms in the middle of a cracked, bleeding heart on the 50.

Possible? You Bet! Possibility of this coming to fruition (w/Regiment)? Not likely -- But I hereby lay claim to this show design and theme so if I see it or facets of it in 2008 or 2009.. ...I can truly say:..... "I thought of that... so nice it won a DCI Title!"

SUTA !