When Band's Do Corps Shows

IMO it is OK to do pieces corps have done, just make sure they are arranged for the band, not just copied from a corps. IO arranged Ghost Train for the band I work with (winds and percussion) for 2005...we won USSBA II Open NJ States and All-states with it. I went to the score and wrote it without regard for what any corps may have done with the number. Same thing this year...most of our show is Gillingham's "Stained Glass", but I created my charts from the original, not a corps version.

Kudos to you.

Borrowing a cool visual here and there is one thing, but giving your band an exact copy of a corps' arrangment is just laziness.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My freshman year, my band did 96 bluedevils and we did it pretty good. My junior year, we did 01 vanguard (even though the music was arranged to make it sound not so much like note for note and our closer was different). For example, somehow we had the second movement and the ballad thrown together, which actually ended up working pretty good considering we didnt play the whole ballad and it transitioned back into the faster part prety smooth. But yeah i heard that adair county was doing machine and thinking that doing a corps show the year after a corps does it is WAY too soon.

We played the band arrangement of Phantom 2003 last year where I teach in PA - honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed it cause they played it very well.

I think it was in 04 - I went to the BOA regional in St. Louis. To my surprise the very first group (from Texas maybe) played PR 03 nearly note for note (of course they watered every run out) - it was a lot of fun to watch.

I have no problems with bands doing corps shows/movements - I can't tell you how many times I've heard arrangements of When a Man Loves a Woman, but it never gets old for me. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. :)

At my School this marching season we did Earth, Wind, and Fire we played the exact arrangement of "In the Stone" By John Higgins that 1980 Bridgemen played. I love it but it was a chop buster so it didn't sound the greatest. To top it all off that was our closer :doh: after playing Getaway/September medley by Paul Murtha, and After love is gone by Paul Murtha.

Edited by Supersop08

• 9 months later...

Not my high school, but one of the other high schools did Faust, except renamed the theme. Same literature completely and even did the (BUM_BUM_BUM ------STOMP) visual during scythian suite